Why does Bachman not make HOn30

Started by beauyboy, May 30, 2010, 04:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beauyboy

I am just curious why Bachmann make On30 and not HOn30. I would love some some ultrate narrow rollingstock and locomotives, and with the locos that Bachmann make for the On30 I would love to buy but if only they were in HOn30.

So Just Curious Mr Bachmann why do you not make HOn30 rollingstock and Locomotives?

Donald

ABC

Try Big City Hobbies (rolling stock), Funaro & Camerlengo (rolling stock), and Roco Modellspielwaren GmbH (locos). Northwest Short Line makes wheel sets.
Bachmann can't make every narrow gauge scale out there, you'll have to settle for On30 or HO.

richg

Obvious Man told me HOn30 is a Niche market. It should be obvious.

HOn30 is usually N scale running gear on N scale track with near HO scale size shells.
For more Hon30 info, do a Google search for Hon30.

Rich

pdlethbridge

That is different, HOn3 and HOn30 are different.

Bucksco

Should one assume the difference is that one is 3 foot narrow gauge and one is 30 inch narrow gauge? If so, is there that much difference? Just curious...

Jim Banner

If Bachmann made H0n30 instead of 0n30, think how disappointed those of us enjoying our 0n30 would be.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

OldTimer

With the exception of some plantation railroads in Hawaii, I don't think there was much 30" guage around.  Certainly, most of what we think of as narrow guage in this country was 36" between the rails, although there were some 2-foot lines in New England.

Over the years, HOn3 models have been very expensive.  The market is small and most of the locomotives are brass imports.  MDC tried making some HOn3 locomotive kits, but I don't think they were ever very popular.  Sometime during the 60's a couple of guys, Dave Frary and Malcolm Furlow, discovered the relationship between HO scale and N guage track and began freelancing HO narrow guage equipment using N guage mechanisms and trucks under scratch built or kit bashed bodies.  Today the wide availability of reasonably priced, good quality N scale locomotives and track makes it relatively easy to build a credible HOn30 layout. 

Those of you who enjoy Bachmann's fine On30 models owe a debt of gratitude to Frary and Furlow, because I'm sure Bachmann does just what Frary and Furlow did 40 years ago.  For example, I'll bet that under every On30 2-6-6-2 beats the heart of an HO C&O H4.  That's sure how I'd do it...why keep reinventing the wheel?  Bachmann does not have a corresponding stable of N scale steam engines so producing a line of HOn30 equipment would be more difficult. 

The great advantage of Xn30 models for either the model builder or a manufacturer is that the models are mostly freelanced.  They may resemble a particular narrow guage engine, but in fact the prototype was probably 36" guage, so there is plenty of room for modeler's license.  What a wonderful way to have fun. 
OldTimer

Just workin' on the railroad.

pdlethbridge

Jack, the difference  would be about a 1/16" on the track, that's a lot.

beauyboy

Well as some have missed the point.
America was an exporter of Locomotives to other countries and while the US may of had very little 2ft and 2ft 6 gauge railways other countries had extenisive networks for example
Cane Trains of Eastern Australia
Victoria Australia (Puffing Billy)
South African Railways 2ft
Brazian 2ft6
Cuban Cane trains
The list goes on, but the point is these railways all, at one time imported American or had American styled locomotives.

To add to this is Countries such as Australia (where I live) O Scale is not popular at all due to it's large size is barely seen. Also on many australin layouts due to there being 5 different gauges being used throught the country (5ft3, 4ft8 and 3ft6 for mainline)(2ft & 2ft6 used on cane or light railways) gauge) have multiple gauges on one layout.

Hence my question as Ameriacn styled Locomotive would sit well on an australian layout as well as giving the option of having multiple gauges on one layout.

Donald

d. calloway

Donald,  Maybe Bachmann could look at doing HOn30 in your country, but like some of the others have said, that scale is not too big here. Ican understand theOn30 stuff because it allows people to run their trains On H.O.scale track which is cheaper for some. It actually scales out to less than five scale inches difference on the track which is close enough to 3ft narrow gauge for most of us in that scale.  Alot of models are not that close!!  Maybe Bachmann will read your post and help you out "down under" Happy modeling!!   Dwayne Calloway ;)

ABC

Quote from: d. calloway on May 31, 2010, 03:04:52 PM
Maybe Bachmann will read your post and help you out "down under" Happy modeling!!   Dwayne Calloway ;)
Bachmann USA is not affiliated with any products intended for production in Australia or the Australian market. You will have to contact them by mail, phone, or email, but contacting Bachmann USA does you no good because they are a separate entity from all the other Bachmann divisions.

Doneldon

beauyboy -

HOn30 is really a niche market with a limited following.  Bachmann is more of a mass merchandiser and, as such, would view the costs of going into that gauge as a near certain loss.  Plus, there are several companies which do HOn30 already and they pretty much seem to meet demand. 

I think Bachmann is to be commended for their expansion into sizes other than straight HO.  It costs a huge amount of money -- tens of thousands of dollars -- just for the tooling of a piece of rolling stock, without even considering the engineering costs if the item is powered. 
                                                            --D

P.S. I love your screen name.  It conjurs up so many possibilities.