News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

6-8-6 steam turbine loco

Started by WTierce1, June 02, 2010, 10:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTierce1

What would anyone think if bachmann made an HO scale 6-8-6 steam turbine locomotive ??? I built a lego version with smoke deflectors. They have an O guage version without deflectors. I think they should have an option when it comes to that if they made a version of it, I also think it should have DCC. 
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

richg

ABC

Not in a million years, it is was too specialized and rare I think PRR was the recipient of the only S2. It was originally supposed to be a 4-8-4.

Woody Elmore

Yes - you'd buy one but how many would Bachmann sell? This is definitely a niche locomotive. Nobody would ever had heard of the Pennsy turbine except that Lionel brought out one in their O gauge line many moons ago.

It would definitely make Pennsy fans happy.

ABC

Quote from: wtierce on June 03, 2010, 07:39:53 AM
What does the S-2 have to do with a 6-8-6? The S-2 was a 6-4-4-6, I know they were both a Pennsilvania locomotive but so what?
You have no clue what you are talking about, the last time I checked an S1 was a 6-4-4-6 and an S2 was a 6-8-6. Anybody familiar with the PRR can back me up.

WTierce1

Im sorry about that.   :) I have an S-1 on trainz I guess I was confused. No hard feelings?

WTierce1

Hey Woody Thanks for the positive reply.

ebtnut

Yes, the PRR turbine was a one-of-a-kind that apparently spend as much time in the shop as it did on the road.  Aside from maybe 50 SPF's who will buy anything Pennsy, there would not be a big enough market for such a model in the mass market.  Various version have been done in brass over the years.  If you really want one, save your pennies and watch on E-bay. 

The S-2 was one of three steam turbine designs tried in the waning days.  The other two were a couple built for the C&O's still-born "Chessie" train, and the Jawn Henry built for the N&W.  None were considered successful designs in the face of the diesel on-slaught.

john tricarico

i feel eventually a lot of these one of a kind
locomotives will be made
broadway limited has had sucess with the pennsy Q-2
even though it was not a one of a kind
same with the pennsy T-1

i for one would like to see some of these one of a kind made

still waiting of an FL9

good luck   j tricarico  brooklyn ny

Woody Elmore

John - I think their would be a market for an FL-9. The NH used them, also PC and I guess others. There are a lot of fans out there.

It would be great to see a company like Bachmann make some of the lesser known engines but they do have to plan on selling them, I would love to see a non brass John Henry in HO

J3a-614