News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command DVD engines and cars

Started by riff99, June 09, 2010, 04:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riff99

Hi...my first post here and trust me, it's a dumb one.

My son's love of watching trains since he was 9 months old has come come somewhat full circle.  Last year we purchased a few used (and inexpensive) engines and freight cars that had seen quite a bit of track time in their day.  Plus, as newbies and trying to set up Atlas Conventional Track on a medium sized carpet, we felt maybe we got into the wrong hobby.  But we did get two seperate trains going in this manner and our son had a smile from ear to ear watching these life like trains in his house, but for some reason (hmmmm) the track kept falling apart.  This drove us nuts but we got into this with no idea what to do, so I guess you get what you expect when you haven't done the research.

Well, this year we dove head first into DCC and Bachmann E-Z Track.  We got a couple new engines (GP 35's) and grabbed a new EZ Command controller and track (plus a switch for a siding as he said we really need to have that........."so it begins").  Well, it was great to watch these newer engines run seperately and controlled with a single controller.

Well, next thing I know we have to 'have' the same cars and engines that are on the DVD, not to mention a companion controller, pedestrian bridge and house that's being built (you'd understand if you saw the instructional DVD).  If it's not in the DVD, he doesn't want it.  No big deal really as there aren't too many cars in the DVD.  But this video must have been done a few years ago as some of the cars are near impossible to find.  A "red" DCC GP40 Santa Fe?  a Maine Central Flat car w/no load?  I've searched everywhere but no sign of them.  Is there a list of Bachmann train stock that goes back to whenever this DVD was made?  I just need to know when these were made and IF they truly are discontinued and gone for good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAin_nEMHlY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xb9w9on05g&feature=related
(flat car is later on in this video)

That's our model train story to date.  Hopefully it continues with this fine hobby.

Thanks for any help...

Joe323

The yellow Chessie that came with My EZCommand is #4139 but video is 4132. However I believe the video dates back to 2003 or 4 so you might not find thr exact same locos now.

Santa Fe buff

Ah, what a great little DVD it is! I have it. Saw it about 10 times. Just have a look around on the site's HO scale Products section to see what structures, electronics, locomotives, and rolling stock are still around. You will find a lot of train sets have some of the equipment not up for individual sale. I know how that is, although not a parent (I am only 14), but an uncle, I do know how it sounds when a 3-4 year old whines for things impossible.  :D At least, there is more hope in filling this request.  ;) Unlike my nephew's request of getting a full size steam locomotive! :) At least they can dream...

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

ABC

Just a quick tip: don't set up non-roadbed track (i.e. Atlas) on carpet; it won't end well. But you usually can get away with E-Z track on carpet as long as you don't have a dog  or cat. Also, many things pictured may only be available as part of a train set and were never made available individually. For these, you may have success with ebay, and most will not be available in the exact same number or paint.

full maxx

yeah If you have room you should make a table out of 4X8 plywood to run the trains on and good deal on the dcc We have 7 engines about 30 freight cars and 6 passenger cars and my 5yo loves it
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Doneldon

riff -

You may not need the exact same equipment.  Assuming your son can't read yet, you could, for example, use any red flat car to fill in for the one on the DVD.  If it has a load, simply demonstrate to him how cool it is to put the load on the flat car, transport it to another location, and then unload.  He'll forget all about the empty flat car soon enough.

You can find replacement cars on ebay, go motor bids or perhaps in the used stuff section of your local hobby shop (usually referred to here as LHS).

Welcome to model railroading and the Bachmann bulletin board.  That goes for both you and your son.
                                                             -- D

riff99

Thank you all for the welcome, tips, and possible DVD dates  :)  I kind of figured it was a bit dated.

It's amazing what this kid of ours can pick up off that DVD.  And he's just turning 5.  I swear he's watched that disc 100 times and practically knows each car and engine by heart; yes their numbers too.  The Engines haven't been a huge deal as most still look the same and numbers are close.  But I won't hear the end about the GP40 Santa Fe until I literally repaint it red and silver.  Nahh, he's not that bad.  A blue and yellow Santa Fe is better than NO Santa Fe.  I think he's getting my point.  He browses the Internet with me to see all that's out there.  He only wants about 90% of it.  No sweat, son.  Sheesh...

But the nice thing is when I show him that certain things can't be found, he actually understands that. Doesn't like it, but understands. But as a parent, who can be a bit of a trickster when junior's not around, I thought I might pull a rabbit out of the hat by posting some thoughts here.  It seems I want to know and understand as much as he does. This is one fine community from what I've seen in the replies already and I truly thank you all for all the insight.  Some good do's and don'ts.  I should've been on here a year ago!!

Oh yeah, and we just got our first Spectrum Steam Loco 2-10-2, DCC Equipped.  Real nice looking engine. I thought that would be nice to have as well.  "Why is there no sound, Dad?"  Uh oh...  any one have any ideas how to put sound in one of these?  I'm afraid to touch the thing wrong, nevermind installing sound.  Do you lose DCC capability if it needs to be removed for sound?  So lost on this one.  Lots of hills and valleys with this perplexing yet enjoyable hobby.

Thanks again fine people!

ABC

Buy a Tsunami sound decoder with an 8 pin plug attached to the wiring harness, it is a direct replacement for the Bachmann decoder in the loco. Also, measure the tender free space inside to see what size speaker and baffle will fit; the speaker and baffle does not come with the decoder, both need to be purchased seperately. To remove the tender shell, remove all screws not associated with (holding) the trucks or couplers. If this seems like a daunting task see if someone at a local club or your local non-chain hobby shop can help you out and get you started. Or if you have deep pockets buy a loco that has factory installed sound.

jettrainfan

That red santa fe really was a charm. A friend of mine has one and told me it was life like. It was too good to be lifelike in person. Turns out it was bachmann! If you could get your hands on one, go for it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Joe323

Quote from: jettrainfan on June 10, 2010, 02:45:38 PM
That red Santa Fe really was a charm. A friend of mine has one and told me it was life like. It was too good to be lifelike in person. Turns out it was bachmann! If you could get your hands on one, go for it!

Life-Like did produce a similar looking locomotive I used to have one but dropped it and it was not worth fixing, as I could get a replacement for it at the train show for $10.  I still have the unpowered dummy though and if I ever get around ti changing the couplers I'll use it as part of a consist.

Doneldon

riff -

Be sure to use an enclosure inside the tender for your speaker or your sound will suffer a lot.  And us the largest speaker which will fit.  Often, an oval speaker is your best bet with trains as small as HO.  Good luck.
                                                                 -- D

riff99

Wow...you guys make it sound real easy to do.  How tough should it be to unscrew some bolts on the tender and replace the decoder.  Oh wait, maybe I should see what a decoder looks like first.  I have yet to try and open a newer DCC engine.  The more beat up DC ones we had before were kinda fun to tinker with and see what's inside, but these more recent ones 'seem' a little more solid, and I know I'd find a way to break something.  But I'm game with the Tender.  Room for the speaker and baffle as well....got it.  I read somewhere that you have to drill holes in the tender for better sound.  Is this true OR recommended?  I'm dead if that's the case.  I'm no handyman and I haven't touched a drill in eons.  But until that's decided, I'll aim for a large, oval speaker.  Is Tsunami sound the best?  I see a few names out there...MSI, QSI, etc.  Are some names pretty good?  I'm sure something mid-range would be sufficient, and this young one might not care so long as he hears some cool "bells and whistles" (excuse the pun), with this steam loco.

You guys are a mountain of info.  I can't thank each of you enough!

Stephen D. Richards

riff99,  Tsunami is the manufacture for Bachmann Trains sound decoders.  The others are good systems as well.  It is not that difficult to add the sound.  Decide what system you want and go for it.  Some decoders need to have the speakers soldered on but basic soldering skills is all that is needed.  It you decide to drill the Tender, use a hand drill and a very small diameter drill bit!  This will help the sound however check your Tender, a lot of them are coming out with a place for the speakers molded in.  I'm not sure how old your 2-10-2 is but I have two.  One does and one doesn't.  Follow the directions with your decoder.  For Bachmann Trains, the eight pine plug is standard.  Go for a decoder with the eight pin plug.  It's as easy as removing the Tender shell, unplug the decoder and plug in the new decoder.  The plug is designed to operate plugged in a certain way.  If the controls work backwords, just remove the plug, turn it 180 degrees and plug it back in.  Some decoders won't work at all backwords.  Same thing just turn it around and plug it back in.  If you have any problems or technical expertise is needed, contact Jim Banner on this board.  He can walk you through anything electronic.   Stephen

Michigan Railfan

Riff, I can help you with the house under construction and the pedestrian bridge, however I haven't seen the video so I'm not sure either one of them are the correct ones:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1402
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1401

Doneldon

riff -

Put your speaker on the bottom of the tender, firing down.  This will make it easy to build in an enclosure -- just a box sealing the speaker.  Don't forget to seal the hole for the speaker wire (plastic-safe caulk works great).  For holes, well, 3/16" would be good.  I wouldn't go any smaller and 1/4" would be the max.  The holes will be on the bottom so appearance isn't a big deal.  I suppose you could plan the pattern in advance.  Tiny holes must be used if you use an upward firing speaker through a coal load.  I'm not convinced there's anything to be gained that way except too many headaches.
                                                                                                -- D