News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How about a backdated mogul?

Started by hminky, May 18, 2007, 07:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

How about a backdated Mogul of the 1881?  Not the DSP&P original version with the little used Congdon Stack but a more common version with a more common Radley-Hunter stack, shortened smokebox and fluted domes. And a fancy paint job. Sorta like Mark Reed's conversion:

Modifying the Mogul tooling wouldn't take much modification to shorten the boiler. I design plastic molds and know that it wouldn't. It would also appeal to all those collectors.

Harold

C.P.R.R. Manager

Personally, I think that's a great idea Harold.  For the tooling costs of new domes, cab, smokestack, and maybe a fancy bell, you've got a very different loco.  I'm sure Bachmann can handle the paint schemes, and this version could also have DCC installed, ready for sound.

hminky

I would take it without sound and DCC. We would see it in our lifetime. Sound is easy to put in a Bachmann Mogul.

Harold

Dusten Barefoot

How about making it just a bit longer, and spacing the back driving wheel just a bit futher to the back like the ones used on the ET&WNC. ::)
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

hminky

Dunsten, don't be rude and try and hijack this thread. Start your own.
And you other guys don't start about the EBT or the Giggle and Hee-haw number seven would be nice.

This thread is about backdating the superstructure of the present mogul

Harold

Dusten Barefoot

Welll Sorry! I want tring to be rude. I was just making a dag on suggestion. >:( If I wanted to hijack this thing I would have assembled a lot of Tweetsie enthuseist to help me out! Shoot you could backdate the mogul to the old ET 2-6-0 due to the fact it was built in the 1880s fot the line to run the 1st few stations!
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

amdaylight

Boy Harold I think that is a wonderful idea, I just love the way that looks. :o On my list of things to do is a back date to something like that, unfortunately I did not jump on the parts fast enough and now the gentleman that made the domes and the rest has  quit producing them, oh well that is the way the cookie crumbles.

Andre  :)

Terry Toenges

Harold - One like that would make me buy another loco.
Feel like a Mogul.

David(UK)

I disagree thjat putting DCC in a Mogul is easy.
For most people getting that boiler off in the first place is non-starter and trying to cut grooves in the weight for the cables to run down is a nightmare - I've troubles on my 3 and one person I know actually took a 100mm angle grinder to it.
No, I want the revamped Mogul to come DCC Fitted as per the Forney.
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

hminky

I didn't say putting a Tsunami in the mogul was easy. I said sound and dcc was easy. Like I did the first time with the dcc motor module in the loco and the sound in the tender.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/mogul_dcc/

The difficulties entailed in redoing the tooling to accommodate a sound module in the original mogul design would be expensive. I used to do tooling for a living.

I would rather have no sound than have to rebuild the tender to put two speakers large speakers.

Harold

br549

ollie

Nice looking engine & I guess I would budget for one.
My 0n30 plans are for a pretty freelanced pike, based on a swedish log hauler, located somewhere in Northern America with lot of finnish influence. This means a majority of the engines will be wood burners.. Would look just nice along my woodburner B-mann Cons..  By the way, who sells and makes stacks like that for the mogul?

Finns had wood burners to the very end of steam sometime in the late seventies, including very modern power.  8)