News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scale Hudson

Started by Tompkenney, July 13, 2009, 01:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tompkenney

I bought a scale NYC Hudson on Saturday.  It is pretty impressive for the cost.  I do have two problems--the smoke unit "spits" and makes a mess-- I am using Bachman fluid--it also runs out in less than ten minutes round the track--it is very annoying & very messy--is there a secret to filling it?   

Also, more importantly, there's no chuff sound --The catalogue says whistle/ bell/chuff--I can get the whistle and bell to sound, but no chuff, what's the deal?
When the guy scanned the box, he said "Williams by Bachman NYC Scale Hudson with whistle, bell and chuff",   and commented on the price being a great deal 'for all that'... I thought so too--

MB425

Your smoke unit is operating normally. There is no secret however if you don't want to keep filling it up, that kind of smoke unit can be run w/o fluid in it. My 671 turbine acts the same as your Hudson and while it is messy, I live with it and clean it off after I'm done running.

There is no chuff. That was a typo in the catalog (as well as the website and box).

Good luck with it. They are beautiful engines and still are a great deal even without the cuff.

Tompkenney

Wow- no chuff--very dissapointing.  I really like the sound and smoke features on locos.  With chuff and a decent smoke unit, it would be a steal....Without chuff and the current spitting smoke unit--it's nice to look at but not a great runner IMO...  are there sound upgrades for steam engines that add chuff?  What about a different smoke unit? 

Tompkenney

Typo in the catalogue, on the box and on the website?  Pretty serious typo--no?

MB425

YOu can always convert the engine to MTH's DCS/Protosound 2 system or Lionel's TrainMaster Command Control system (Legacy is an option once upgrade kits are available) and RailSounds, however it is in NOT going to be cheap. With parts and Labor, the price get get close to $500 after everything is said and done.

3rail

Hi Tom,

The chuff feature listing error was in the 2008 catalog.  It has since been corrected on both the 2009 catalog and the web site.

Regards,

3rail

Tompkenney

Well, I've had the scale Hudson for three weeks now, and successfully launched it off the track several times--It's a very powerful engine. 

Combine that with it starting up in forward (I hate that), and me forgetting to switch from TMCC to conventional on the cab-1 before powering the track--and it's like a horizontal rocket. 

It takes the abuse though.  Power/bell/whistle/smoke/lights all fine after all launches.  I did shear off the steps, and snapped one rear vertical grab rail on the tender though.  I called Bachmann on Monday, and had replacement parts in the mailbox on Thursday!  They were great--very proactive and the parts were cheap enough.  The smoke unit is irritating (spitting fluid) and it has no chuff sounds-like even 80's era Lionel's do.  But it's a bargain for a scale Hudson, with enough power to spare.  When the kids want to run a 'real' train that smokes, this is the steamer I will pull out... 

AG

I am happy with mine, but talking about misunderstand, mine one said constant head light.
and is not a constant head light.
Andre.