News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC ready Shay no go

Started by Chris G, June 16, 2010, 12:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris G

Hello all,
Plugged a Bachmann DCC decoder into my DCC ready Shay that was left over from an up grade on my DCC on board Climax.
Did this to check things out before I instalL a Loksound decoder in the Shay.
Default address is 3, ok.
Light on / off, ok.
No movement at all. ?
Any suggestions?

I have a Lokprogrammer.
Do you think it will read the cv's?

All the best
:-\Chris

Jim Banner

Being able to turn the lights on and off using address 3 means the decoder is not completely dead and that the single byte address 03 is stored in CV1.  However, it is possible that the motor is waiting to respond to an advanced consisting address stored in CV19.  If that is the case, set CV19 to zero.  It is possible you are trying to run with one value for speed steps but the decoder is set for another value.  Check CV29.  You might also be trying to run with an improperly set up speed table.  A check of CV29 will show whether or not the decoder is set for speed table operation.  You might be trying to run with a very long acceleration rate.  Check CV3.  Or just go ahead and reset the decoder back to factory defaults.  Which CV and what to set it to should be in your locomotive manual.

I have no idea whether your Lokprogrammer will read CV's.  Its manual should tell you, or perhaps another read can.  Failing all else, try it and see.

If none of this helps, let us know what DCC system you are using and we will try again.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Chris G

Hi Jim,

What I dont understand is that the decoder came out of the Bachmann Climax with no changes to cvs, so you would think when plugging in to the Bachmann DCC READY Shay it should make the Shay operate as did the Climax ?

ps
Have been told Lokprogrammer will read and modify CVs on Bachmann decoders but will not let you test the upgrade on the Virtual Driver function.

Thanks Chris

Jim Banner

Chris,
Normally that would be the case.  If the Climax was operating on address 03, then the Shay should also operate on address 03.  There are exceptions:

(1) If the Climax was last operated with an advanced consist address, then that is the address the Shay should now operate on.  Depending on the DCC system, it may not be obvious that you are changing a CV when you use advanced consisting.  And lights working but motor not working is a symptom of this particular problem.

(2) If the decoder was subjected to static while unplugged, it could have had one or more CV's altered by the static.

There are other potential faults that could cause the "headlights work, motor doesn't" problem.  These include a bent or broken pin on the plug, a wire broken loose on the plug (check particularly the orange and grey wires and their pins) or a faulty adapter board in the Shay (has it ever run on DCC?)

Jim 

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Chris G

Jim,
In order of you response
Climax only run on address 03. Never attempted to change cvs. Tried Shay on O3

Dont know about static but decoder was kept in sealed container for last 6 months.

Will check wiring over weekend. Shay never run on DCC before.

Gotta go home now as its "quittin time" here in OZ so will be back on line before I start work Monday morning.

Nice website you club has. Only seen a bit while having lunch. Will look further next week

Thanks Chris

thanks Chris