Sante Fe Diesel Loco (Item #60102) with DCC

Started by allstate8114093292, June 14, 2010, 07:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allstate8114093292

Hi all.  I am new here.  I have a question about a recently purchased DCC Sante Fe loco. 

First off, can anyone tell me the proper controller for this engine?

Secondly, can this engine be run on regular DC until I get a controller.  If so, what do I have to switch to run it on regular DC?

I am totally new to DCC, but decided if I was going to buy a new diesel, might as well buy the newest technology.  Hope my decision was the right one.

Lastly, does Bachmann make a dummy to hook to the above diesel to make up a pair for pulling passenger cars or freight cars?

I know, a ton of questions.

I'd appreciate any help here.

Thanks in advance.

Jack

ABC

This locomotive will run on DC or DCC, but runs a lot better on DCC especially after changing the CVs to your liking. Bachmann does not make any dummy FT-A's or B's, but you can buy a powered FT-B. A Bachmann E-Z Command DCC System will allow basic capabilities like changing address, direction, and dimming or turning on/off the lights. If you were to buy a locomotive with sound it can control up to 8 sound effects. It cannot program advanced configuration variables (CVs) like bemf and speed tables or changing from 14/27/28/128 speed steps or customizing sound effects to your liking.
I would suggest you start out with the E-Z Command System and when the time is right move on to a more advanced (and expensive) system like Bachmann's Dynamis (Wireless Infrared) DCC System.
Although the E-Z Command System can run a DC engine caution must be taken not to damage it. You cannot leave a DC engine on the tracks for more than a few minutes or else you will damage the engine (to the point it will not run)/cause it to overheat. Also do not run them on for extended periods of time (more than 1.5 hours continuous running) because I have seen them overheat a few times because of this.

Jim Banner

allstate8114093292,

May I suggest doing some reading up on DCC.  Then you can learn what it can (and cannot) do for you.  And then you can decide for yourself what best meets your needs and desires.

Many people start off with a basic system like Bachmann's E-Z Command because learning to use them is easy.  And they fulfill the basic function of DCC - allowing you to run more than one train at the same time on the same track.  A goodly percentage of the people who start off with a basic system will stay with it but others will want to be able to do more fiddling with their locomotives and/or their layouts will outgrow the capabilities of a basic system.  But by then they will have a pretty good feeling for what to expect from DCC.

There are also many who start off with a more advanced system in anticipation of their layout's future expansion or because they are upgrading the control of an existing large layout.  People with large layouts are usually quite committed already and are willing to spend the time and effort to learn all the ins and outs of DCC.  Others, however, find the task over whelming because there is so much to learn just to run a train.  And someone just starting out in model railroading usually has so much else to learn that there is just no hobby time left for learning to operate a complex system.

If you are a person who likes to try out new hardware and learn how to use new software of your computer, you will probably do well with one of the more advanced DCC systems.  But if you are like some of us old duffers who would love to have a computer with just two buttons, labeled EMAIL and INTERNET, or you find yourself longing for a cell phone that just makes phone calls, then a basic system may be a better choice, at least initially.

All NMRA type DCC systems have the capability to run a Bachmann DCC on board locomotive.  And it will run on dc right out of the box with no harm to the locomotive.  Bottom line, any NMRA DCC system or any H0 dc power pack is the "right controller" for this locomotive.  But note the term"DCC on board."  This means a locomotive with a DCC decoder built in and its preferred controller is a DCC system.  You may also run into the term "DCC ready."  This term means that the locomotive does NOT have a decoder in it but the wiring is arranged to make it easy to install one.  Often this means there is a socket in the locomotive into which you simply plug a decoder.  Not all NMRA DCC systems can run a dc locomotive, even if it is "DCC ready" but without a decoder.  Not the terms I would have chosen but apparently they made sense to the NMRA (National Model Railroad Association.)

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe323

Generally most DC systems will run a DCC locomotive unless it has been programmed not to run on DC.  It is my understanding that all Bachmann DCC On Board Locos will run on DC but that they will run better if you take the DCC controller out and plug in jumpers that are sometimes supplied.

Personally I am still at the EZ command stage in my DCC "training" if you will.  My layout is small enough that EZ command is sufficient.  If my fiance' lets me expand next year after the floors in the office/train room are re-done I may move up to a more advanced system.

pipefitter

Jack, I have about two dozen Bachmann 4 axle DCC diesels that I run on regular DC layout. They run smooth and quiet, and have good low speed control and low power consumption. The DCC circuits are hard wired into the locos however they are designed to run just fine on DC which they do. You should be able to run your loco without any problems.

I have run two DCC locos together on my DC layout without any problems. Run them first together but uncoupled to see if they run at about the same speed. If one runs a lot faster than the other then they will not run well coupled together. A matching FT-B unit for your loco should be an exact match in its running characteristics.

If you already have a DC controller, go ahead and use it. If you don't, get the Bachmann E-Z Command system. You can move up from which ever option you have.

Robert

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1471
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland