News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lincoln Funeral Train

Started by derailer, June 14, 2010, 11:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

I see that the Lincoln funeral car complete with the dead locomotive went on eBay yesterday for $48.05.  If we suppose the locomotive was worth the $10 or $15 to ship this set, then the lucky bidder bought the car for under $50.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

toklap

Right now on eBay there is a limited edition PSC Lincoln Funeral Train set at the starting bid of $2,000.

toklap

The PSC Lincoln Funeral Train Set went for $2,550. Of course, only 35 sets were made and go as high as $4,000.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: toklap on September 11, 2010, 11:12:41 PM
The PSC Lincoln Funeral Train Set went for $2,550. Of course, only 35 sets were made and go as high as $4,000.

That set was O scale. Somebody has the HO funeral car listed--for the second time--with an opening bid of $60. That's too high for an "opening" bid, IMHO.

railsider

I'm looking for period CP and UP wood-sided 19th-century passenger cars -- one or two of each, probably -- to go with recently-purchased Jupiter and UP119 4-4-0 locos and compete a Promentory Point powered display. Where readily available and reasonably-priced?

The gimmick, if I get it built, is to have the two come in from east and west when a start button is pressed, meet, stop, wiwth sound playing, then a blackout and they back up and re-set for the next demo. Contemporary photos, IIRC, show a car or two with the engines.

BTW, I see a new "issue" of the two famous locos in the latest Walther catalog, with a different color scheme that the old Bachmanns I have. Which is correct????

Railsider

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: railsider on September 20, 2010, 02:27:51 PM
I'm looking for period CP and UP wood-sided 19th-century passenger cars -- one or two of each, probably -- to go with recently-purchased Jupiter and UP119 4-4-0 locos and compete a Promentory Point powered display. Where readily available and reasonably-priced?

Try train shows and eBay. The Bachmann passenger cars and the similarly appearing models from Rivarossi/AHM show up quite regularly on eBay. Also Roundhouse/MDC 50-ft. "Overland" cars show up on eBay.

richg

Quote from: railsider on September 20, 2010, 02:27:51 PM

BTW, I see a new "issue" of the two famous locos in the latest Walther catalog, with a different color scheme that the old Bachmanns I have. Which is correct????

Railsider

Just spend some time doing Google searches for this event. You will find many hits with photos. There may be some photos with the cars. I know the event has been re-created a few times for railroad events. Just do some more homework and maybe join the society out that way that handles this event. You will find this in searches. Then you have all the links you can store in Favorites.

Rich

Johnson Bar Jeff

Talk about an abundance of riches!

I just did my daily search on eBay. If anybody is looking for a Lincoln Funeral Car, currently there are two listed under Rivarossi in the HO section of Model Trains under Toys and Hobbies, and I noticed a third car that appeared to be in pretty good shape, even though it was part of a lot of junk old-time passenger cars; I found that by searching for "passenger" in the "Other" category under HO.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on November 08, 2010, 10:24:02 AM
Talk about an abundance of riches!

I just did my daily search on eBay. If anybody is looking for a Lincoln Funeral Car, currently there are two listed under Rivarossi in the HO section of Model Trains under Toys and Hobbies, and I noticed a third car that appeared to be in pretty good shape, even though it was part of a lot of junk old-time passenger cars; I found that by searching for "passenger" in the "Other" category under HO.

Oi, what's going on here? Found another new listing this morning. Feast or famine, I guess.

toklap

Precision Scale will have a HO scale Lincoln Funeral Train set in a limited edition of 75. It will feature the "Nashville" locomotive, the Funeral car, and the officers car.

richg

Quote from: toklap on February 27, 2011, 10:58:36 PM
Precision Scale will have a HO scale Lincoln Funeral Train set in a limited edition of 75. It will feature the "Nashville" locomotive, the Funeral car, and the officers car.

I could not find that at the PSC site but did a Google search and did find detailed info. That will be quite a set.
1. Coreless can motor.
2. Working valve gear.
3. Lighted cab interior and cars.
4. Polished reflectors.
5. Gauge faces
6. Full cab interior.
7. Simulated caskets in "United States" Presidential Car.
8. Full interiors in cars.
9. Wood presentation box with velvet line interior.
10.Special etched plate on box.
11.Authenticated paint schemes.

I understand PSC will accept First Born Child.

Rich

toklap

Lionel trains have announced they will have a Lincoln Funeral Train set. Part of their "Heritage Series", the set features in 1:48 scale (standard O) the 44-0 "Nashville" locomotive, and the "United States" funeral car. Priced at 799.99.

Doneldon

It's reasonable to expect more Lincoln funeral cars as we move through the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War. Don't be so hasty to buy now that you're no longer in the market as the new products go on sale. Also, I predict a big drop in interest after the Sesquicentennial has run its course.

Railsider-

Ambroid made some outstanding HO wooden craftsman kits years ago. They often show up on ebay. I believe the short, open-ended cars would stand in for your Golden Spike trains.
                                                           -- D

toklap

I have recently heard that someone is building a full scale replica of the Lincoln Funeral Train with plans to retrace the orignal route in 2015 in commeration of the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's death. Is this true?

Doneldon

tok-

The Civil War is another of my hobbies and I haven't heard this. That doesn't conclusively
mean it isn't true but I do think I'd have come across it.
                                                                                          -- D