News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Where's Connie

Started by full maxx, June 18, 2010, 06:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

Transportation museun Spencer NC
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

pipefitter

Nice photo! Isn't that a great museum? I really need to take a trip back there some day
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Jim Banner

They must have hidden the electric motor in the boiler and connected it to the wheels using gears hidden inside the cab in order to get that nice, see-through look between the top of the frame and the bottom of the boiler.  Real you say?  I don't believe it.  Much too clean and the grass is too well trimmed.  The weathering police just would not allow it.

Jim
(with tonque firmly in cheek)
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Doneldon

Tell the truth: Would you buy a model with as little detail as this Connie has left?  It wouldn't even stand up to the standards of the old Tyco and Mantua zamac castings!
                                                                                           -- D

Coble12

I enjoyed the Rail Days event at Spencer as well.  The engine in the photograph, however, is actually SR #542 with the #604's tender.  They put it together like this for the movie Leatherheads a few years ago either due to lack of money to completely restore the 604 at the time or due to time restraints, I cant remember.  But the 542s actual tender is in the Roundhouse and so is the real 604s cab.  I believe I saw the actual (ex-BC&G unit) 604s boiler and wheels through the window in the backshop, so hopefully that's a good sign that it's at least back at the site.  #604 used to be operational and the highlight of the museum.  As pointed out, however, the photographed #542 engine is only semi-cosmetically restored and is no where close to being operational.

full maxx

hey Coble12 where are you located

Coble12

I live in Charlotte, so the museum is the closest 'train place' to me.  My dad used to take me when I was a child (I'm 21 now) and now I try to go at least a few times a year.  I always enjoy it when I make the trip and have developed a strong interest in the site and it's history over the years.  I recently purchased one of the HO  Spectrum decapods (undecorated, dcc/sound) and plan on modifying it to model the SAL 2-10-0 #544 at Spencer.  The Spencer/BC&G #604 will be next up using a Spectrum consolidation.  Are you nearby as well?

full maxx

I hail from Eden... Spencer is about 90 minutes from me and last weekend was the first time I ever been

Coble12

Well, I hope it was enjoyable for you...despite the heat.   :)

Jim Banner

Southern Railroad #642, built 1903?  Could we be looking at Stephenson Link inside valve gear?  The only closeup I could find was at the link below.  Unfortunately, the videographer needed some rocks in his pockets to keep from being blown around by the wind.  But it does show the link to the D valve ending at a rocker arm between the first and second driver.  Perhaps one of the fellows who visit the museum regularly would be willing to poke his nose into that area and see if there are eccentrics nestling between the frames.  Perhaps this locomotive is not quite as bereft of valve gear as we first thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZbENdofKdQ

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.