News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Beginner Help Needed - Track Planning

Started by napa15, June 18, 2010, 11:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

napa15

Hello,

My name is Chuck. This is my first post here in this community. I have a few questions and was hoping for some help for a beginner.

I plan on creating a 4'x8' layout based as close as I can on the Sodor Island layout MR Bach-Man created (in the Photo Gallery). I downloaded the Atlas Track planner software from their site as I saw here that it can be used to layout a representation for/of Easy-Track. Anyway, I have attached 3 files for that program of my layout and I need someone who is willing to look at them and give direction/advice. The lower level in incomplete on the inner circle, as I have no idea how to make it connect. I've tried re-configuring it, but just can't get it. I'm not even sure I have either the outer or inner sections correct. Please tell me if you think the middle and upper layouts look correct based off of that Sodor Island layout, as mine seems to be a bit bigger in proportion than what I see in his photo gallery.

This layout is very important to me because I need to come as close as I can to knowing exactly what track I need before I order it, but money is a big issue.

Is there an easy way to tell how much risers I will need to purchase as well? What about powering the track. I see the powered re-railer wires hanging down, and then the track soldered later on. Is that layout powered directly using those re-railer power wires, or have you created your own by soldering the power directly to the track somewhere?

One more thing, that big/thick piece of blue foam on the very bottom layer, where can that be purchased and what exactly is it (so I know what to ask for)? And those white foam panels, what are they and where can I purchase them?

I'm sure I have more questions, but I'm really just trying to get going with the basics first and take it slow. Please be patient with my questions. This is a layout I'm doing for my son and daughter to enjoy.. and build with them.

Thanks,
Chuck

**NOTE: For some reason the forum will not allow me to attach my files. They're small enough, but it says the upload folder is full. I've tried several times. Happy to email the files to anyone willing to look at them/give advice.**

ABC

Yeah if you want to include other files, you have to do it some other way then using the attach button. The reason is every time Bachmann clears this out somebody attaches something that is huge or a million things then after less then a day it is full again. Also, you should post this under the Thomas subheading to see if anyone from there can help.

napa15

Thank you for the reply. I'll try and get the files posted somewhere so I can link to them, but I'm good with emailing them to someone too. :)

I thought about posting this in the Thomas Section, but it really is more of general questions/help needed (it is for the Sodor layout, but all questions I think are pretty generic  in nature) type thing so I was hoping this was the appropriate place.

OldTimer

Chuck,
I went into the photo gallery and checked out some of the Sodor layout pictures and I can answer some of your questions.  The blue slab that serves as the foundation is most likely extruded styrofoam insulation.  You can buy it at a building suppy store like Lowe's or Home Depot.  It comes in various thicknesses in 4X8 foot sheets.  Sometimes it's pink, sometimes blue.  The white material is, I believe, from a company called Woodland Scenics.  They make a line of extruded foam products that would let you build your benchwork and subroadbed without using any wood at all.  It's very light but pricey.  They have a web site at
www.woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com
Now, I have to tell you something you don't want to hear.  If this is your first layout, as I suspect that it is, it is much too complicated.  Your first effort should be all on one level and probably not have a reverse loop or wye.  As you gain more skills you can begin to incorporate more complications into your second layout.   I hope I haven't been too discouraging.  Good luck and welcome to the world's greatest hobby.
Just workin' on the railroad.

napa15

Thanks for your response OldTImer. :)

It will help a lot to know what to ask for when I go find the foam pieces.

The question I'm going to ask here is only because I am a rookie, so don't take it as a wise-crack. But, I agree that it's very complicated from a layering and scenic standpoint (which my plan it to go REAL slow and build it 1 layer at a time), but the lower layer for example looks to simply be an outer oval with some turn outs that dead-end that runs on it's own power. And then an inner oval that has no turn outs that runs on it's own power.. and then the same for each layer above. Is it not that simple? That's one of the main reasons I'm attracted to it, because each track can be run independent of each other so my kids won't fight over who gets to run the train. :) So what you're saying is that with it being multi-leveled that's where you believe I'm getting in over my head? What if I cut it down to just 2 levels, you think that would help to cut down on my stress level any? :)

Thanks for the feedback and please keep it coming. Also, I do really need someone to help me figure out my lower level track layout issue? :/

Cyber480

Hello Chuck, fellow "newbie" here. Started my first layout in Mar 2010, and still struggling. I would be happy to help you as much as possible. I used the same program for my layout. he bottom 4 X 8 foam, Home Depot, or Lowes, about $20. Home depot also has a pack of 2 X 4 sheets of styrofoam, 3/4" thick for about $12. I use a lot of this stuff. This is my first, and only discussion board, so I'm not sure what we can discuss. You can e-mail me at: cyberdad48@hotmil.com Go ahead and attach your layout and we'll try to figure it out. My layout is on a 4 X 8 also.

napa15

Right on Cyber.. sounds like a real good plan. Thanks a ton for the foam info. I'm hoping to head out tomorrow and pick some up. I'll add your email address and we can definitely keep up with each others progress.

the Bach-man

Dear Napa,
Actually, the layout is rather simple. There are two ovals on the bottom, two in the middle, and the Thomas route on top. As I recall, the lower inner loop is all 18" radius. The outer has 22" at the end opposite the harbor. I'll try to find my notes to check.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

jonathan

Chuck,

I have seen this layout in person at a train show (and met the Bach Man).  The track system set up was not complicated.  The great scenery is what gives it the complicated affect.

If you really want to build it, go for it.  However, you will have lots of questions, especially about track laying.  Please ask (one at a time).  There are lots of friendly folks on this forum, who will be glad to help.  You may want to read a little about Model Railroading in general before you dive in.  I found a couple of beginner books very helpful when I started, just 4 years ago.

Not even sure if you can put decoders in Thomas equipment, but you will have to decide between DC and DCC at some point.  That just one of a few dozens decisions to make before you get started.

Oh, you can post pictures and the like if you get a photobucket.com account.  When you're ready for that, ask again.  We can walk you through it.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

i have opened up thomas. his wiring is colour coded for dcc, so hard wiring a decoder in shouldn't be too hard. but probably not a project for a newbie.

my friend has installed a decoder in james without problems. i would thing the others would be similar.

note: you may have to use an n scale or z scale decoder to fit in the smatter engines. there's not alot of room in percy, mavis, sally, bill or ben.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

napa15

What extra will DCC offer that I'm not getting with DC? Also, does it require special track, or just a train with a decoder and DCC power pack?

BTW - thanks again for all the suggestions and help. :) Was going to go purchase my foam today and get cracking, but my lawnmower broke and I had to have a new one. So...  :-\

---> Mr. Bach-Man, I see you have 22 outer and 18 inner on the lower level for the Sodor layout. That's what I have used in my RTS layout, but for some reason the 18s are meeting properly on the end closest to the dock. It's like there isn't enough room to fit them.

I've got images of my track layout for each level now and they are below. Thanks again for all your help, really!

---> Jonathan, I looked through your thread where you refurbed your Varney (right?) engine, I have that exact same engine.. I just realized that today. :)

Lower Level Picture

Middle Level Picture

Upper Level Picture

ABC

Quote from: napa15 on June 19, 2010, 07:24:47 PM
What extra will DCC offer that I'm not getting with DC? Also, does it require special track, or just a train with a decoder and DCC power pack?
DCC allows you to run multiple locos at one time with one controller. It allows you to use sound effects (if applicable) whenever you want, turn the smoke machine on/off (if applicable), and (de)activate special lighting effects like ditch lights, beacons, gyros, or dim the lights. It also allows you to run multiple unit consists of non-similar geared locos by matching speeds by changing configuration variables. It results in overall smoother running and better low speed control.

napa15

Thank you.. very easy to understand that. :) So, does it require me to alter my plans to use Nickel Silver Easy Track for this layout? And are there any special considerations I need to take ahead of time concerning layout? I plan to only run one consist at a time on each line. I plan to pretty much only run Thomas stuff (which I will put the DCC decoders in as I get them). The sounds and lights and all really interest me, but no running multiple trains on one line and stuff like that.

ABC

Nickel silver and steel track are interchangeable, but nickel-silver will prove to be a much better conductor of electricity over time. I don't think that Thomas trains have lights and I don't think there is room for sound in most of them, but I don't own any, I am just going by what I've seen at my LHS.