News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

First Large Scale set in a while...

Started by raveoned, June 18, 2010, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raveoned

I am preaching to the choir here, but I'm a little late in getting a more updated Large Scale anything.  The only Bachmann I had was the Royal Blue passenger and the Liberty Bell Limited passenger sets, and just recently found the original Big Hauler battery set a couple weeks ago at a flea market.

Anyway, I found a great price on the Durango & Silverton Freight set, and decided to get one.  It arrived last night, and I have to say I have been missing a lot!  The difference in the older sets I have and this are quite a bit apart!

The chugging is much better, the wheels look amazing in metal, the detail now on the 4-6-0 is gorgeous, overall an amazing jump in look and value!

Not to say I don't like my original sets; far from it, they are my favorite trains (my Great Grandfather was an Engineer for the B&O, and even had the throttle of the Royal Blue for some time), but this set is really nice!

I also liked that the instruction manual had brochures from scenic railroads in with it, and the DVD is really good to watch, even though I've been running trains for a long time.

I'm really happy to be back into Large Scale!  I may be running the D&S outside on Sunday (its Father's Day, and I'm sure my daughter would like that!), so I'll snap some pics and post them here!

Loco Bill

Welcome Back to large Scale and most of all enjoy all your trains!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

on30gn15

Quote from: raveoned on June 18, 2010, 04:30:05 PMI'm really happy to be back into Large Scale!  I may be running the D&S outside on Sunday

Go for it!  ;D
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

raveoned

Here are some pics of the train in action outside!  Just took them not too long ago:

on30gn15

When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Barry BBT

Not to dash your good feelings about your purchase, I'm glad you like the Plus version, but.........

You need to see the Tenth Anniversary version in the flesh.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

raveoned

Quote from: Barry BBT on June 22, 2010, 01:49:53 PM
Not to dash your good feelings about your purchase, I'm glad you like the Plus version, but.........

You need to see the Tenth Anniversary version in the flesh.

Barry - BBT

Oh, I've seen it, and I love it!  That's next on my list of G Gauge locomotive purchases!

Loco Bill

The D&S version wasn' t the "Plus" version but rather came equipped with the latest Version 5 chassis.  It is a much better runner than those old Plus chassis.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

napa15

I've sent you a private message "raveoned".

I guess private messaging is disabled.   :-\

Royal Oak Railroad

Dynamite pictures of your D&S in the forum.

I hope to have a set in the near future.  Can you tell me what kind of track is included in the Durango set?  Your location?  Corrosion problems?  Do you run it with batteries or power pack? 

Tonnes of thanks

Royal Oak Railroad - ROR

Dave

Barry BBT

Loco Bill,

Both the Plus and Annie's have the same 5th Gen drive, but the Annie detail is the big difference.

Barry - BBT

Loco Bill

Barry, 

The Bachmann Plus 4-6-0 Big Haulers came out in 1992 and had the version 2 chassis.   These would be Bachmann 31497, 98, &99.

The D&S Freight set 90057 came out in 2006 and has the Version 5 Chassis which first appeared in 2000. 

This make the loco a Version 5 rather than the 1992 Version 2 improved chassis.

Bill
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Barry BBT

Bill,

You are technically correct.  I am trying to simplify the designation of Annie and the "standard" level of the Big Hauler.

Carrying the "Plus" designation forward, seemed to be the simplest way to do this.  Open to suggestions.

Barry - BBT

Dave

Gidday Barry,
              My first set was a Big Hauler No 90015 but the Gearbox whines fairly loudly so I don't run it anymore. Do you know if spares are available or should I leave it in the cabinet as a paper weight.

Cheers
                     Dave in New Zealand

Loco Bill

Barry,

I see where you are going with the Plus idea, but I hate to see plus used as I believe it is too easily confused with the early Bachmann Plus line. The Annie 4-6-0 is an Annie and a Big Hauler 4-6-0 is a Big Hauler or in recent years part of the "standard line".   Bachmann insists that the Anniversary 4-6-0 is basically a stand alone item, not Spectrum, but not Big Hauler level.   Bachmann is trying to use Standard line to represent the 1:22.5 line and Spectrum to represent the 1:20.3 line of products, but it fails because there are Standard Line 1:20.3 items and Spectrum 1:22.5 items.  This all leads to much confusion to say the least.  As one who is trying to keep a history of all this, I must say it can be very frustrating trying to keep things organized.  Even some of the newer Bachmann reps can't explain what the Standard Line really means. 

That the Big Hauler line to date has the five chassis versions is not in question thanks to techies like you and Dave G who pioneered in defining it all.   Since the latest Big Hauler(since 2000)(AKA Standard Line) 4-6-0 Version 5 chassis is the same as that in the Annie the difference  between the two is the detail level rather that the chassis.   Because of this we can't really call the Annie a Version 6 locomotive.  If we call it an Annie Plus we again mix chassis with detail level.   Having hashed thru all this over the last 15 years, there seems to be no really great way of putting the Annie in a chassis definition , or a detail definition.   I do understand how you feel since I,  like you. always have to explain the difference to new Bachmann modellers.  The Anniversary 4-6-0, aka "Annie"has in it's own way come to be recognized for the higher level of detail rather than for the chassis.   Most folks I talk to seem to understand or"get it".  While I am open to new designations, maybe we should just leave the Annie as the Annie.   Even Bachmann uses it when they put an Annie in a set like the White Pass set

Best,

Bill
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway