News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring turnouts

Started by Jim50578, June 18, 2010, 07:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim50578

I purchased a Digital Commander Set and I guess I'm really stupid as I connot find instructions on how to hook up the turnouts electrically with
the wiring in the set to get them to work. Either something is missing or
am I missing my brain?
Jim

ABC

The Bachmann E-Z Command DCC system does not have an accessory output/AC to use for turnouts, lights, and accessories. You could tap into the track power, but this is  a bad idea because it will cause your locomotive to slow down or stop completely. Go with an old HO power source to power your turnouts.

Jim Banner

Bachmann makes 3 types of turnouts - manually operated ones with a slider to change routes, DCC powered ones that can be switched via your command control, and the conventional remote control electric ones that ABC is talking about.  An old power pack is an excellent choice for the latter.  The speed control and track output do not even have to work as long as the ac accessory output works.  This is a good time of year for buying them at garage sales.  Take along a 12 volt grain of wheat bulb (about $1 at the hobby shop) so that you can test the power pack on the spot.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

Jim -

You can also use any old wall wart you have laying around as long as it is 12 - 16 volts and at least .5 amps (or 500 milliamps).  If your household is anything like mine you have a bunch of them.

-- D

Jim50578

Thanks for the info. I'll use a power pack then that I gofrom my son, whom I didn't even know he had an HO train set.
Jim

Kris Everett

if u have a number of them u can wire them in unioson on 1 feed line it have plenty of power to do that i have 3 Crossovers wire together with one feed wire and works fine

HAPPY WIRING  ;D

Jim Banner

Multiple power packs? DON'T DO IT!

Hopefully trainboy16 is aware of the pitfalls of wiring a bunch of power packs in parallel (I assume that is what he means by "unioson").  This is particularly bad if it involves the accessory ac outputs.  Here is why:

(1) Unless the power packs are the same make, model and production code, there is a good chance that one or more of the power packs will draw power instead of supplying it.

(2) Connecting one of the power packs backwards will result in the destruction of that power pack.

(3) Plugging one of the power packs in backwards compared to the others will result in the destruction of that power pack.  Many modern power packs have one fat prong on the line cord plug.  Depending on the internal construction of the power pack, this wide prong may or may not prevent plugging a pack in backwards.  It depends on whether the power pack is double insulated or not.

(4) Plugging one of the power packs into an outlet that is not installed correctly will result in the destruction of that power pack.

(5) And this one is the killer: Unplugging one of the power packs while the others remain plugged in and turned on will result in lethal voltages being present at the bare prongs of that power pack's plug.
TOUCHING THE BARE PRONGS CAN KILL YOU.

Connecting the dc track outputs of multiple power packs together is not quite as bad.  Warning (1) above still applies.  Usually the power packs are destroyed if the polarity of one of them is accidentally reversed, such as by throwing the direction control.  But this rarely hurts the person causing the accident, except in his wallet.

Jim Banner
Electronics Technologist
Laboratory Safety Officer (retired.)

Doneldon

RULE OF THUMB
NEVER CONNECT MORE THAN ONE POWER SOURCE TO TRACK, TURNOUTS OR ACCESSORY CIRCUITS

An exception can be made when there is a DPDT switch on the circuit and it has a center off or break-before-make feature.  A DP rotary switch can also be used in this application as long as all contact is broken between detents.  I think all rotaries have this feature.

-- D

Joe323

I think what is being talked about here is wiring multiple turnouts to the same power source  Another words you can take an old power pack and wire the AC terminals to one end of a terminal block and then wire the turnouts from there.

Kris Everett

yes exactly i have 1 power pack running 3 now 4 turnouts and it runs fine i have to upload some pics to show everyone
:D

PHOTO

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae45/trainboy16/

Jim Banner

Joe323, I believe you are correct, especially in light of trainboy 16's last two posts.  I am afraid that I took  the word "them" in trainboy 16's post (second quote) as referring to "a power pack" in Jim50578's post right above it.
Quote from: Jim50578 on June 19, 2010, 10:24:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll use a power pack then that I gofrom my son, whom I didn't even know he had an HO train set.
Jim
Quote from: trainboy16 on June 20, 2010, 09:53:02 AM
if u have a number of them u can wire them in unioson on 1 feed line it have plenty of power to do that i have 3 Crossovers wire together with one feed wire and works fine
HAPPY WIRING  ;D

Sorry about that.  As you undoubtedly noticed, my immediate reaction was based on my concern for the safety of anyone connecting power packs together.  The concern still exists even if it does not apply in this case, so I have let that posting stand.

Jim

Kris Everett

yes i agree with u jim wireing more than one power pack is IS VERY DANGEROUS!!!!!

its very good advice.

TB16

Kris Everett

Ne luck getting them to work?

TB16