News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help my memory

Started by SteamGene, May 19, 2007, 08:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Who was the O gauge modeler from the '40s and '50s who said that a model railroad was like a stage and the trains the actors?  I think he built the Delta Line.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Rich R

Hi Gene,

I just Googled your quote and came up with this link.
Name was Frank Ellison I think.

http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=199

http://www.carendt.com/articles/Theatrics/index.html

Cheers,
Rich R

SteamGene

Thanks, Rich.  You are right. I tried a google but didn't get what you got. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

ebtnut

Frank Ellison was one of the early pioneers in model railroading who espoused the idea that the model railroad should represent the prototype in DOING something, not just run in circles.  Understand that in that timeframe (1940's-early '50's) it was considered a feat just to get the trains to run reliably.  We take an awful lot for granted in these days of RTR locos and cars, EZ Track, and DCC.  Ellison's approach was to bring trains "on and off stage" to feature them as they passed over the pike.  He also actually did some on-line switching, this in a time when many people were using dummy couplers and trainsets stay together until rearranged by hand. 

John Armstrong followed close behind Frank, but took model railroad design in a much better direction where operations were a real part of the action.  This was aided, in large measure, with the introduction of the Kadee couplers in the mid-1950's (later improved to the magnetic ones we are familiar with today) that supplanted the gross Mantua loop-hooks, and the unfortunate X2F horn-hooks that appeared on all the train sets well into the 1970's. 

SteamGene

There is no question that we are living in a land of milk and honey, compared to just a few years ago.  I sometimes shudder when somebody asks Bachmann or P2K to bring out a model of a Louisiana and Mississippi light 2-8-2 which looks like no other 2-8-2 in all Creation.  (example only.  Any resemblance between this example and reality is a mistake on the part of something.)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Here is a link to the Kalmbach magazine index searching for Frank Ellison's articles:

http://www.index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=S&cmdtext=%22ellison%2C+frank%22&MAG=ANY

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jsmvmd

Dear Joe,

Glad to see you are still here. Have not heard from you in a while.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Joe Satnik

Dear Jack,

Thanks for the kind words. 

I'm lurking, but less often, and mostly in the "general discussion" area, sometimes working my way down into the scales.   I have less time these days to generate new topics and replies. 

A couple of interesting things.  Both John Armstrong and Frank Ellison ran 2 rail O scale with an outside 3rd rail, similar to prototype subway systems. 

Frank died in 1964, so the Kalmbach Index "hits" after that are either reprints of his articles, or talking about him, his "Delta Lines" layout,  or his other contributions to the hobby. (Grammar?)

My Large Scale "Big Haulers History" list is kind of on hold for now, since I don't have a current computer copy of it.  I may still have an early marked-up printout somewhere....

Jack, since the topic is "Help my memory", could you please remind me of your older "handles", what scale(s) you model in and perhaps your location.... e-mail me if you wish.

Again, thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Woody Elmore

There was a company that published "How to ..." books called Arco. They published a softcover book in the 50ies by Frank ellison about building and operating a model railroad.

Frank Ellison was an operator; detailing was secondary. At a time when "Carter's Little Liver Pills" was advertising on radio and TV, Ellision had a building called "Carter's little river mills." He didn't take the hobby as seriously as they do today. He had fun running his trains.

His one big contribution to running model trains was the "smile" - which basically was a block that was a train length. He gauged speed in "smiles per hour."

I wish I still had my Arco frank ellison book.

SteamGene

Woody,
I think there was a great deal of humor back then, starting with the Gorre and Daphetid, which oldtimer's know is pronounced "Gory and Defeated."  Then, in the days of spaghetti bowl layouts, there was the "Bent Spaghetti Line."  That's just openers, but thanks for reminding me about the Carter Little River Mills - a great idea to steal.  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

thirdrail

As a student at Tulane University in New Orleans in the late 1950's-early 1960's, I had the privelege of operating on Frank Ellison's Delta Lines a couple of times. Frank had a Mikado that he operated as an 0-8-0 because "the d**n lead and trailing trucks keep derailing". Operations were paramount. He also tipped me off to Gochaux Sugar's last cane harvest using its steam powered railroad.

ebtnut

Outside third rail was quite common before WWII.  There were even some HO layouts built that way.  I think Jim Dechert was the lead in getting two-rail DC to work.  Remember that a lot of folks were just moving from toy type inside third rail into scale.  Wiring and signaling were easier with the outside third rail.  A number of layout design articles suggested operating some kind of electric service (loco-hauled or m.u.) to "justify" the presence of the third rail.  Armstrong kept his till he passed on just a couple of years ago.  I frankly haven not seen anyone in modern times model actual third rail trains--New York Central/Metro North, North Shore Line, Philadelphia and Western, several mass transit systems, etc.