News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco lube & maintenance

Started by dallasj100, June 24, 2010, 10:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallasj100

Looking for guidance on proper technique and materials for lubricating train engine wheels, axles, drives, etc., and keeping them running smoothly in top form. I have a Bachmann 4-6-0 "White Pass" and a couple of LGB 0-4-0 starter locos.
I see the lube & maintenance instructions for the K-27 in the on-line product manuals. Generally speaking, is this the procedure to follow for most any loco, using the E-Z Lube product line?
Perhaps off topic, but I will venture the ask... Does anyone have any maintenance or replacement experience with the traction tires on the LGB trains?
Thanks...

Doneldon

dallas -

Yes, you can follow the K-27 recommendations.  There are two things to remember.  First, be sure that anything you use is safe for plastic.  Your gears may be metal but the grease will end up on plastic parts and it will attack them, eventually turning them to sticky goo.  Second, prepare to use a very small amount of lubricant but use only half of that amount.

Many people use a bit of Wahl clipper oil on their track and wheels.  This will help with electrical conduction and slightly slow corrosion.  You should use so little that you can't tell it's there.  Specifically, a tiny drop on each rail and then let your trains spread it out all over the pike.  That should be enough unless you have more than 75 - 80 feet of track.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with the LGB equipment.

-- D

grayfitz

Hi Dallas, A very good site for all info on Bachmann 4-6-0 maintainance and lube is , www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html    , hope this helps ,, cant help with lgb I dont like or have any ,, regards GRAYFITZ (australia)

dallasj100

Thank you for the info...
The White Pass is my first Bachmann train, so I will be checking in now & again...

dallasj100

So, I installed and viewed the DVD that came with my White Pass loco and - lo and behold - there is a brief discussion & illustration of the lube and gear grease process. Called Bachmann to get the product codes so I can shop around for them.

FYI, they are the E-Z Lube products...
99981 conductive oil
99982 gear grease
99983 heavy gear oil
99984 light gear oil

All set, thanks...

tony@skippystrains

Dallas, you are absolutely on the right track with the easy lube products.  As everyone has pointed out, use very small amounts.

What exactly would you like to know about the LGB Traction Tires?

Regards,
Tony
Tony Fortunato / Skippy's Train Shed

dallasj100

Tony,
On the LGB traction tires, pretty much anything...  When/how often to change them? How to change them? Can they be cleaned and reused? Can they be cleaned while still on the drive wheel? I have starter set locos and I believe the wheels are about 31.5mm in diameter.
Thank you...

Chuck N

Don't do anything with the traction tires until they break.  They last for a very long time.  Once they break, remove any side frames or drive rods, slip the new tire on over the rim of the wheel and into the slot in the wheel.  Replace the side frames, or drive rod and you are good to go.  I think that I have had to do this once or twice in 30 years and I used to run my LGB engines a lot.

Chuck N

jsmvmd

Dear Dallas,

Not to hijack your thread, but my dos centavos. 

My experience is with a 10 year old Aristo 2-4-2 Rogers.  Beautifully running engine.  Traction tires were toast in about 30 min of running when new.  Since then I have run it without the traction tires.  Runs beautifully.  With a long string of cars I will get wheel slip if I start too fast.  So what ?  I just take her out slowly and she still pulls nicely.  Just like the real thing.  Very satisfied with the operation.  Hope your LGB is a great runner.

Best Wishes,

Jack, Altoona, PA

TJ-Lee

There are a number of maintenance videos for Bachmann trains on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxTWNdIusF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcEKO-325f0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKKpfA-or8

I'm trying to get a definitive list. Does anyone know of these are all listed somewhere?

Best,
TJ