News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2

Started by ChrisS, June 25, 2010, 12:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisS

i received my tsunami equipped 2-6-6-2 last night from fleabay...
WOW. that thing is fantastic. super smooth and the sound is really good.

madmike3434

I received my 2-6-6-2 tsumami equipted loco and runs fine and sounds good too.

My box was full of extra parts contained a ''''sealed plastic baggie'''' with what also looks like a small computer chip circuit board with tangs on it, 1/2' square roughly.

Reading all the supplied enclosed paper material i could find no particular mention of what to do with this part and if its necessary to the sounds or operation of this loco.

Does the BACH - MAN  have the answer to this or anyone ??????????///

thanks.......madmike3434 ---mike lynch --CANADA

ChrisS

I believe that's the dummy plug to eleminate the decoder if only going to be run of a dc layout

the Bach-man

Dear Mike,
Chris is correct- they are the shorting plugs for analog operation.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

madmike3434

Quote from: the Bach-man on June 26, 2010, 11:46:29 PM
Dear Mike,
Chris is correct- they are the shorting plugs for analog operation.
Have fun!
the Bach-man
=====================
THANK YOU BACH-MAN AND CHRIS FOR THE REPLY.I AM ONLY OPERATING WITH REGULAR TECH 11 LOCOMOTION 1500 CONTROLER.

BUT I WANT THAT LOCO TO MAKE THE SOUNDS AS IT DOES AND IS FACTORY PROGRAMMED TO DO.   I AM NOT SURE IF I AM GOING TO PURCHASE A DCC SOUNDTRAXX SYSTEM TO OPERATE THE JUST PURCHASED SOUND EQUIPTED : SHAY , CLIMAX, 2-6-6-2 AND AM ALSO EYEING A FOURNEY . SO IS IT GOING TO DAMAGE THE LOCO AND INTERFER WITH SOUND OPERATION IF I DO NOT INSTALL THIS
"SHORTING PLUG" ?
FUNNY I DID NOT SEE ANY REFERENCE TO THIS LITTLE BOARD IN THE PRINTED MATERIAL OR MAYBE I HAVE MISSED IT ??

THANK YOU
MADMIKE3434.........CANADA

railtwister

Hi Madmike,

You might want to consider the MRC Tech 6 controller/power supply which will allow you to run a DCC Sound loco and still have full sound controls on your DC layout without having to convert to a DCC system. The street price can be less than $100 if you shop around. For even less $$ (no more than $75), MRC also has their "Black Box" which is like the Tech 6, but comes without a power supply so you can use your existing Power Pack. You might want to consider it, but remember you'll have some of the same limitations (like single loco control) that you now have with DC. For only about $150, you can get into an entry level DCC system from MRC, NCE  or Digitrax that gives you a lot more options.

Regards,
Bill

lvrr325

I about fell over when I saw they were going last for so little even The Obnoxious... err, Favorite Spot stopped listing them.  No sound were just clearing $100 and sound locos were going around $150-$175.   That was the beginning of June. 

I have one coming from another dealer, but I'm curious if anyone's run one enough to get an idea how they handle marginal trackwork - kinks, grade changes, dips, the like.  I suppose I'll find out eventually what I have to fix.  As it stands other than a couple short spots my minimum radius is 22" and all the main line turnouts are #6's - and even then there's only about three #4s at all.   

lvrr325

Well, it came and I ran it around.  It handles my sloppy track fine, the humps and bumps of shoddy benchwork didn't bother it any.

About the only engine it bothers much is the Forney and only because the engine has that long rear overhang - when the drivers crest a grade they lift the whole rear of the loco, causing it to come uncoupled from whatever cars are behind it.  So of course, I now have two Forneys....  it doesn't much matter though; I need to redo some of the subroadbed anyways to raise it.  What was originally designed for HO operations with 2-3 powered locomotives, has grades that are too much for a single On30 loco particularly with the hoppers and side-door caboose that seem to have more rolling friction in their trucks than the original arch-bar trucks on the boxcars and flatcar-based cars have.  I don't mind if the return connection grade is a tad steep, but the other side, the 4-4-0 aught to be able to handle two passenger cars on.

Forney

Dear Chris
As I understand you have bought the 2-6-6-2 wich I haven´t so far. I posted a question a couple of days ago on this forum, but no reply so far. My question was, what is the wheel diameter and what is the wheelbase for each "bogie" (drivercenter to drivercenter). Could you please measure this for me and I would be very happy. My plan is to see if it´s possible to kitbash the model into a swedish prototype 0-6-6-0 with a 3-axle tender.
This mallet is the biggest one that ran in Sweden, and it was primally a loghauling railroad. The gauge was 3-foot and I´m trying to use this railroad as an inspiration for a model in On30.
I couldn´t find a decent picture of the engine right now but I could send you one later if you are interested.
Yours truly
Peter

hminky

Some one said that it matches this:

Proto info at:

http://loggingmallets.railfan.net/export/ingenio9.htm

Hope that helps

Harold

RGS Goose

Hi Ivrr325,
I have been following the thread on the 2-6-6-2 and was interested in your comment about the prices you quoted that they were being cleared at. I am outside of America so if I should understand your terminology about where you got them I don't. Can you let me know where these prices were at. Might be helpful in the future. I paid a lot more than that for my 2-6-6-2 and had to pay a fair amount in shipping of course, but I am real pleased with the loco.
RGS Goose.

Tomcat

Hi there,

did you try "the favorite spot" at US Ebay? But MicroMark had them reasonably priced too, even when you left the decision what engine you´d get up to them. This meant (and probably means) a even more reduced price. I hadn´t found a cheaper place as these two shops...

Keep busy! ;) ;) ;)
Cheers, Tom

lvrr325

The Favorite Spot is a wholesale buyer with Bachmann, who dumps items at online auction site eBay starting at like $1.00 US with no reserve.  But they stopped listing these engines in early June, I don't know if they're sold out or what; I bought mine elsewhere and paid a tad more, but I also got an undec where TFS was selling ones with a roadname on them.  They also take a couple weeks off in August running no auctions at all. 

TFS does offer listings where you can Buy It Now but the prices are higher.  The one time I had to ask a question, they were quite rude in reply. 

Frisco

Quote from: lvrr325 on August 11, 2010, 12:21:14 AM
The Favorite Spot is a wholesale buyer with Bachmann, who dumps items at online auction site eBay starting at like $1.00 US with no reserve.  But they stopped listing these engines in early June, I don't know if they're sold out or what; I bought mine elsewhere and paid a tad more, but I also got an undec where TFS was selling ones with a roadname on them.  They also take a couple weeks off in August running no auctions at all. 

TFS does offer listings where you can Buy It Now but the prices are higher.  The one time I had to ask a question, they were quite rude in reply. 
He's on his annual summer break, and will start listing again in September. The owner is very nice, but the other employs can be a bit brisk, but still 100% better than Trainworld.

RGS Goose

Thank you Frisco,Ivrr235 and Tomcat for your response to my question.
I have had a look at the site and noted they are closed at the moment.
As other things are needed I will keep a check on what they have, after they open again.
RGS Goose.