Hook and Loop VS EZ Mate Magnetic Knuckle

Started by xero1123, June 25, 2010, 05:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xero1123

Hi all, I just wanted to say that I'm new to the forums, although I've been lurking for a while. I do have a question regarding the couplers with the Thomas and friends line. Is it possible to replace the Hook and Loop couplers that come with the models with the EZ Mate Magnetic couples? The reason that I'm asking is because I'm amassing quite a collection of the models, but I absolutely hate the Hook and Loop style, and I find them very hard to separate without having to derail the trains. Thank You!

Hoss

An easy way I found to separate them is to use a small flathead screwdriver. Insert it over the buffer, and under the hooks, keep slack in, lift up on the hooks, and pull the part of the train you want away. Works good for me.

As for the conversion, you'll have to install a draft gear. not too hard, but time consuming, or so I've heard.

xero1123

oh ok I've got you. The reason I wanted to know is that I have a Bachmann Breakdown Crane and the couplers are not compatible and as nice as the crane is, I can't pull it and it has to sit on a siding and gather dust. Thanks for the fast reply though!

therailwayinspector

It may be possible to replace the hook and loop couplers by unscrewing the screw that holds them in to the engine. However, I don't know if the couplings yu want to replace them  with would screw into that place....
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

jettrainfan

I remember, when I was 8, I found a series about thomas and duncan on a club layout. In the second one, it gives a hint to where you could put the couplers because he took them off annd put some knuckle ones on to work with dunkin. I'm guessing search Thomas and Dunkin comic or somthing. I'll check when I get home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

xero1123

Thanks a lot guys. So far it looks like I'll just deal with the original couplers. Oh well. Thanks a lot though!