News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum power pack

Started by SteamGene, May 20, 2007, 02:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Is there some way to tell which side is positive and which negative with the Spectrum power pack?  I have a couple of them and an old Bachmann.  I'm trying to do a temporary DC p[ower to the parts of my layout where track has been laid to test the track under power.  I'd prefer not to have a massive short when a loco crosses over a gap. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Hunt

Use a multimeter. Or connect power pack to a few sections of track and note which way the locomotive runs compared to the Direction switch position.

SteamGene

Of course.  Remember, this is the guy who is only allowed to turn lights on and off.  ???
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Hunt

Gene,
Beyond your original question.
Go to http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track.htm

Scroll down to
                                TESTING
RECOMMENDATION:  Build a Short Detecting Beeper BEFORE You Start ANY DCC Track Wiring!

SteamGene

I haven't even begun with DCC wiring yet.  Thanks for the reminder, though.  I put the multimeter on the track and got the two power packs co-ordinated.  I ran a BLI USRA light Mike on DC through staging and it did fine until it hit the second power district.  Then it stopped and did nothing but blow its horn.  Pushed it back to staging and it ran fine in reverse.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

jsmvmd

Dear Hunt,

Many thanks for your fine insight and concise posts, especially Alan Gartner's fine link. They have helped me tremendously. I am not imbued with too much electro-mechanical insight. Thus, this stuff is very strange. However, one presses on to keep current. Too, I am not getting any younger. Thus, time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. (Got that from Omni magazine years ago).

Best Wishes,

Jack

RAM

I don't know why you would want to use more than one power pack.  Now if you are using one power supply, you can make a cheap test from an car tail light.  If you take one wire one one side of a gap and the other on the other side of the gap (on the side rail)  If it lights up you have it wired wrong. 

Hunt

Quote from: jsmvmd on May 20, 2007, 07:39:17 PM
Dear Hunt,

Many thanks for your fine insight and concise posts, especially Alan Gartner's fine link. They have helped me tremendously. I am not imbued with too much electro-mechanical insight. Thus, this stuff is very strange. However, one presses on to keep current. Too, I am not getting any younger. Thus, time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. (Got that from Omni magazine years ago).

Best Wishes,

Jack
Jack, you’re welcome. Always glad to try to help folks like yourself who put forth an effort to do the research trying to help themselves.

As you know from reading a few of my posts, which were on the old Board, I don’t completely agree with all of Alan Gartner’s thinking and information. Example, I am in the school of thought preferring to use circuit breakers instead of taillight bulbs (bulb - technically known as  lamp).

Some of the material is overkill and some of it is written in a way someone might conclude it is the only way when in fact it is not. Nevertheless, I point some people to the Wiring for DCC website because there is lots of information there and it is fairly well organized (the addition of Site Map & Index awhile back is a big improvement)  but most of all the stuff works if you use it.

SteamGene

RAM,
I have a very temporary DC hook up to test track and locos.  The layout is right now divided into three of the four power districts (not counting the reverse loop) that it will eventually have. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Les

RAM - you questioned why have more than one power pack; I have four on my layout probably because I do not know how to get needed power to various sections of track without using multiple power packs.  My layout has grown like topsy (and rather large) and has gotten so complicated that I have some difficulty operating it.  Les

SteamGene

Les,
Have you tried using buss and feeder wires?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat