News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

signs and towers

Started by SteamGene, May 20, 2007, 05:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Giiven a sub-division yard with an engine terminal, would there be a tower at each end or just one in the transition era?  If at each end would the tower be called Crazy Yard North and Crazy Yard South, or would one be Basic City and the other Mean Street? 
I seem to remember that wharehouse or loading dock doors each were identified so a crew knew where to spot the appropriate car.  Is that correct?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

Towers for train controls were not common in yards.  Most yards just had a yardmaster's tower so he could see what was going on.  Each end of the say XXXXe or XXXXXw.  You will need to know which direction your railroad run.  Like the Santa Fe ran east and west.  However most people know that you go north from Dallas to get to Oklahoma City.  But on the railroad the train would be eastbound. 

SteamGene

Some yards are either long enough or built in such a way that the yardmaster's tower can't see the entire yard.  South River Yard, for instance, is shaped like a boomerang and the east end can't see the west end.  I guess I could put one tower in the bend of the boomerang and that might well work.  Sure would save a couple of dollars.
BTW, it's not just railroads that do strange things with direction.  For instance, where I-64 west begins, the road heads straight east and then turns NNW.   I remember one stretch of road that carried three US highway designations.  Depending on which way you were going, one was North, one South, and one East.  The other way, one was South, one North, and the other West.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"