News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Saddle Tank Switcher

Started by jonathan, July 01, 2010, 12:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

I am considering the Spectrum 0-6-0T for my mining operation.

I've done a search and found only one thread about its overall running capabilities.  Someone had two and one was stopping intermittently.  Any other owners have any thoughts on how you like it?  I'm more concerned about smooth running than pulling ability (it's a little loco after all).

I've been very happy with my Spectrums and want to keep my run of good luck.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jonathan

NMWTRR

You can see my 0 6 0 tank in my avatar.

I have always liked this engine as it is a nice running loco. Originally DC I did convert it to DC probably the most challenging conversion I have done to date. Still runs just as good with DCC. For some strange reason though to get it to activate I have to turn on my Ez commander then turn it off and back on to get it to run. 

I  think it looks fantastic but know that your labor of love for the Varney 0 4 0 will be hard pressed to compete from a favorite loco stand point :)

jonathan

NMWTRR,

Thanks for that.  I assumed is was a nice locomotive.  Though, it's always good to hear from someone who actually puts it to work.

Don't know if the Varney will be my favorite.  It's really nice decoration, and close to being operable, but whether it's going to be reliable is anybody's guess at this point.  Right now the crosshead links hit the divergent rails in a turnout, causing a short (they hang really low).  Still working that one out. :P  It will always be a treasure.

I think the 0-6-0T will be better through turnouts.  I don't power my frogs so a little longer wheel base will make the 0-6-0 more hands-free around the tipple.  There will be a number of #4 and #6 turnouts to negotiate in this area.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

I have this loco and it is geared own really nicely. I think somewhere around 50 to 1.
A couple people have put sound in theirs.

Rich

jerryl

They really aren't good pullers....very light. Mine also needs "spotless" track.

richg

You could pack a lot of bird shot in the loco to add weight. I do that with some small locos.

Rich

jerryl

Quote from: richg on July 02, 2010, 03:35:48 PM
You could pack a lot of bird shot in the loco to add weight. I do that with some small locos.

Rich
I'll have to check that out when I attempt to put a decoder in.   Thanks

Jim Banner

I am really happy with mine which I use in light duty yard service.  I use all metal turnouts and have no problems with pickup.  I have installed  Digitrax decoders, both the DZ123 and the DZ125, in these locomotives and have never had a problem.  I am curious about what kind of decoder NMWTRR used that he has trouble getting its attention at power up.

Jonathan, you also mentioned an intermittent stopping problem that someone had with one.  I am left wondering if his 0-6-0T had also been converted to DCC and if so, what decoder he had used.  There really is not much room for a decoder in the early ones and I am left wondering if the fellow used an inadequate decoder in his quest to find one small enough to fit.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pipefitter

Quote from: jonathan on July 01, 2010, 12:43:46 PM
I am considering the Spectrum 0-6-0T for my mining operation ...

I have six of them ;D the earlier DCC ready versions (I run analog DC). They are great little engines and run smooth and quiet. On my well worn Atlas Snap Track the locos run without the slightest flicker of the meters on my Spectrum Magnum power packs - solid steady power pickup. The reason I have six is because I got them new on eBay for about thirty some bucks apiece. Two are unlettered saved for future projects. Note the small drivers, these are low speed engines. They have nice bright directional headlights. Here are some photos for size comparison:

Cheers, Robert

Here's one with a Rivi Docksider and a Mantua Model Power 0-6-0

The front footplates are lined up. The Bachmann loco is longer than the other two and has a nice coal bunker

Compared to a 40' boxcar

With a suitable train of Varney/Life-Like coal hoppers
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

NMWTRR

I installed a Digitrax DZ 125. The toughest part of the whole thing was soldering the connections as they were so close together. I needed to modify my soldering iron tip to ensure when I soldered one wire on I was not unsoldering the wire next to it.  Maybe I got a cold solder joint or something.  The porblem of getting it to activate and needing to restart the EZ commander doesn't happen all of the time.

If I remember correctly Jonathon is a DC guy.  So none of this may apply for his version.

I think they are selling them with DCC already installed no, too. 

jonathan

Thanks, gentlemen.

That's some very useful info.

I am DC, but the club layout is DCC (Digitrax), so Bachmann's dual mode decoders work just fine for my needs.  Just started my shopping list for next month's train show. I believe the tanker can move to the top.

I like pipefitter's Rivarossi Dockside (of course).  Have you ever noticed, on every Doxie ever made, by every manufacturer, the front, left pilot step breaks off right away?  My Varney was like that, and I had to make a step.

Just about every Li'l Joe on ebay is like that.  Weird

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

I purchased one of the 'new' Mantua 0-6-0T locomotives about two years ago and was very disappointed with its running. The model is DC and can be best described as a 'growler'. I have lubricated the gears, slides and rods and the darn thing still sounds like it is making cement. Before you ask, a run in didn't help either.

Another problem (at least with the Mantua) is power pickup. The double slip and crossing on the Monks' Island line are Peco Insulfrog units and the 0-6-0T had difficulties with them (I know...I know: always use Peco Electrofrog units). I have relegated the engine to the display shelf as I haven't had any takers at the last 3 trains shows we vendored.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

Quote from: CNE Runner on July 03, 2010, 10:13:33 AM
I purchased one of the 'new' Mantua 0-6-0T locomotives about two years ago and was very disappointed with its running. The model is DC and can be best described as a 'growler'. I have lubricated the gears, slides and rods and the darn thing still sounds like it is making cement. Before you ask, a run in didn't help either.

Another problem (at least with the Mantua) is power pickup. The double slip and crossing on the Monks' Island line are Peco Insulfrog units and the 0-6-0T had difficulties with them (I know...I know: always use Peco Electrofrog units). I have relegated the engine to the display shelf as I haven't had any takers at the last 3 trains shows we vendored.

Ray

I converted my Mantua 0-6-0T into a cab forward 2-6-0 and replaced the two driver with three driver pickups using thin copper clad PC board and half of a Kadee #5 spring.

Rich

Daylight4449

Shame i was not at your show... I have wanted to track one down forever. I had one and loved it but things took a turn for the worst... (The mantua one i mean)

jonathan

Rich,

Me likey your homemade pick up job.  Do you have any more detailed pictures of parts and/or instructions?  I have a couple of older models, I've been wanting to experiment with.  I haven't been able to noodle out how to install copper/bronze pick ups on a metal frame.  At first it seemed not too difficult, but for my simple mind, I couldn't work out how to make a secure, nonmetal bracket to hold the pick up brush, that wouldn't fall off or interfere with the frame or wheels.

Neato.

Regards,

Jonathan