News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Saddle Tank Switcher

Started by jonathan, July 01, 2010, 12:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMWTRR

Concur that little 0 6 0 really is awesome after all of the work you put into it.

It looks great next its big brothers!

jonathan

Again, thanks.  Your encouragement keeps me motivated.

OK last shot.  I added some coal to the bunker.  Poor fireman hardly had any left!

Regards,

Jonathan

P.S.  In retrospect, I believe my loco was dropped, squeezed or otherwise damaged in shipping.  All the problems I encountered were on the right side (crosshead, engineer, boiler walk, wire locations, and pick up brushes).  Can't blame Bachmann for this.  Still believe the Spectrum line of locos are fine models.  Glad I was able to make the repairs.  For what it's worth.

P.P.S.  Started break in process.  Runs fine.  Still noisy.  I can hear something needs lube, can't tell what.  Also started pulling a few cars... think I'll stop at 7! :)

P.P.P.S.

Hope you'll forgive the endless addendums, but I'm creating a record of progress without bumping my thread to the head of the line.

Finally,  I applied tiny drops of conductalube to the axles, treads, drive rods, and the backs of the wheels (where contact is made with the pickup brushes).  Happy to report all the noises are cured.  This Spectrum Saddle Tank Locomotive now runs very smooth, slow and quiet.  Moves through turnouts well.  It also pulls a little better than I hoped.  I only intend to pull 3-5 cars, but it will pull at least 7 cars with no trouble.

Thanks, Bachmann, for another fine locomotive.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

For what it's worth:

In the October 2010 issue, Model Railroader published a review of the Bachmann Spectrum 0-6-0T.  Couldn't tell if they liked it or not.  Perhaps the neutrality was the intention.

Anyway, theirs could pull 8 cars.  I stopped at 7.

Like mine, theirs was a bit rough at first, but smoothed out after it ran a while.  Mine is definitely getting better the more I run it.

Not trying to give free advertising to the magazine, just thought some might find it interesting.  I tend to like reading the reviews and peeking at the trackside photos.

Regards,

Jonathan

P.S. also discovered B&O actually did have a couple of O-6-0Ts.  Dimensions were quite a bit different than other Tankers, but close enough for gov't work. :)

Doneldon

jonathan-

So who says you can't add two cars and go for the world's record?  Seriously, don't apologize for needing to break in your loco.  All of our equipment would run more smoothly if we took the time to break it in properly.
                                                                                                                                         -- D

jettrainfan

i agree with Doneldon, like my "junker" 0-4-0 which said it can pull 8 cars, what did it pull? 11! little wheel slip and it was on a hill! So no matter what, its all about what you want to run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

BaltoOhioRRfan

I noticed your decals "Silverized" as Microscale calls it. I found that instead of reapplying decals that several coats(allow dry time between each) of MicroSOL solves the problem. useally takes 4-5 coats at the most.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jonathan

The close up camera catches all!

After applying the first coat of Micro Sol, I notice some of the decal lettering had disappeared (dissolved?). Rather than risk losing more lettering or sharp lettering edges,  I went with just the one coat. Then gave the shell a quick once over with dullcote. In person, it looks great. My eyesight isn't near as sharp as the camera.

It takes thick reading glasses and a small magnifying glass for me to see the imperfections. Especially hard to detect anything when the little guy is in motion.

Regards,

Jonathan