News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler parts

Started by tomplatten, July 07, 2010, 11:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomplatten

My Big Hauler freight cars are mostly over 10 years old--hard to believe are starting to show their age. I use some of then outdoor. I find the foot stirrups are starting to break and I cannot seem to find replacements. Hopefully (I hate that word) Bachman will make those kind of parts available soon!

Doneldon

tp-

I wouldn't expect that occasional use outdoors would affect the plastic very much.  Leaving them out probably would.

Do you have separate stirrup steps or the kind which are molded on?  If molded, it would be easiest to clean off the broken stubs, purchase metal steps and CA them on.  If separate Bachmann probably does sell them.  Be aware that the on-line catalog doesn't list all parts.  Why not?  Beats me, but that's how they do it.  You might want to try calling Bachmann about these.  Call 800-356-3510.  Good luck!
                                                                                                                  -- D

Loco Bill

If you call Bachmann don't use the 800 number as it is often overused, and overloaded.  You will get better results using 215-533-1600 and asking for Irv.  As far as I know they observe lunch (Eastern time) and that is a bad time to call.  Bachamnn has lots of parts(not necessarily every part) still not listed, so it pays to call and ask. 

I have had good luck calling, and recommend at least trying it before using some other aftermarket solution.  It also pays to call back 4 to eight weeks later to check again if they don't have everything you want on the first call.  The stirrups are seperate press fit items on Stock, Box, Reefer, and Gondola cars, for sure and possibly on flat cars as well.

These cars are actually as many as 20 years old!!   I have also bought some cheap basket cases at swap meets just for parts.  In the spring show at York, some dealers were selling old stock Bachmann Freight cars withour the metal wheels as low as $15 each, and some with metal wheels for as low as $20. 
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Loco Bill

For Tom only, if you try Bachmann and don't find what you need send me an email or private message.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

grayfitz

Hi TOM,Try ,ana kramer on ebay site toys & hobbies, model trains,G scale,,they have a lot of detail parts for Bachmann,, GRAYFITZ (australia)

tony@skippystrains

Tom, all of the suggestions you received are good ones.  Start with Bachmann first.  Yes they do observe lunch between 12:00 and 1:00 pm EST.  Additionally you should make it a routine habit to be on the lookout at train shows for folks selling cars for parts, set yourself a purchase budget for "used parts only material" and go for it.  You will have a spare parts inventory in no time.  Last, when I am out of a particular part such as this, I fabricate the replacement out of metal for my trains and for my customers.  Take your time and try a small piece, you can do it too!

Regards,
Tony
Tony Fortunato / Skippy's Train Shed