News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cutty Sark

Started by pdlethbridge, May 21, 2007, 09:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John C

Sure Gene, Sheldon & Terry.  And how many of THOSE ships have been on public display recently?

Atlantic Central

John,

The Charles W Morgan, last surviving wooden whaler, is on display at Mystic, Connecticut, USA.

A reasonably accurate replica of the Mayflower is on display, I believe at Plymouth, Mass., USA.

Several I did not mention before:

The USS Constitution, last surviving American Revolotionary war ship on display in Boston, Mass. USA.

The USS Constellation, last remaining navel vessel from the Amercian Civil War, on display at Baltimore, MD. USA.

The WWII aircraft carrier USS Yorktown, on display at Charlston South Carolina, USA.

The WWII battleship USS Massachusetts on display in, of all places, Massachusetts, USA.

The Cutty Sark is important, and her saving is important, but we need not talk like she is the only ship of historical importance to the world.

Sheldon

modlerbob

Let's not forget the Star of India either.  She still sails!!!
Bob DeWoody

GN.2-6-8-0

No she's probably not the most famous ship In the world but she's the only one on fire at the moment and the thread was started to show concern for her safety ya bozo's >:(
Rocky Lives

Atlantic Central

AND AGAIN,

In my first post I expressed the importance of fixing and saving her.

GN.2-6-8-0, the name calling is completely out of line.

Sheldon

SteamGene

The Merrimac wasn't famous.  The Virginia is. 
BTW, a replica of the Monitor is on display at the Mariners' Museum in Newport News, Virginia. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Terry Toenges

The Merrimac is famous. In grade school we learned about the Monitor and the Merrimac. Never heard of the Virginia in school.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

We're all bozos on this bus.
Feel like a Mogul.

pdlethbridge

I guess it might be famous depending on which side of the Mason Dixon line you lived.

SteamGene

The USS Merrimac was a steam frigate that the damnyankees burned when they fled from Norfolk Naval Base.  The CSS Virginia essentially destroyed the Hampton Roads blockade fleet and then fought the USS Monitor to a draw. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Gene,

I knew it was called the CSS Virginia, but you know how the victors teach that revisonist history. It's bad enough explaining "war between the states" vs "Civil War".

It's so far in the past now, those of us who know or care are small minority. Another sign of the decline in our culture, little interest in how we got here.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Which is why another famous battle should be called the "Battle of the Greasy Grass."   ;D
What two names is this known by?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Let's see, that would be June 25/26, 1876 commonly known to most as Custer's Last Stand or the Battle of Little Bighorn.

I did have to look up the exact date though.

Sheldon

SteamGene

And a "Garry Owen" to you, Sheldon.  I hope to see the battlefield in October.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Terry Toenges

I thought Garyowen was one word.  I love that song.
Feel like a Mogul.