Hypothetical Glenbrook Valley passenger car

Started by on30gn15, April 26, 2010, 01:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Hey Y'all;

So, what is it when you freelance cars for someone else's freelance roadname?

Finally decided what to do with a combine kit acquired almost a year ago; or at least what seems that long ago: Hypothetical passenger car for Bachmann's freelance Glenbrook Valley roadname on their 4-6-0.

Okay, hmmmm, what color?
1860-1870 passenger cars were other several other colors than Pullman Green and Tuscan Red.

Hey, V&T had some light olive ones, let's work from that as inspiration.
See "V&T Railway Combine #16 - circa 1906 1990  1990  1990  1990  1990" here http://virginiatruckee.com/?page_id=20
Rust-Oleum Satin SAGE is lighter and less yellow, but that's okay by me.

I sure as #$%^ ain't gonna do striping like that one in museum out west, no way. And whether I want to or not, my hands, and health generally, are no longer what they used to be.
Simpler striping.

Paint in photos is a bit greener than it looks. And why am I doing this striping with different decals for each color?? What is wrong with me? (rhetorical question)  ;)
Well, decals are long paid for. And I'm more comfortable with that way than paint.

This shows color closer to true, on my monitor, but flash reflection is objectionable

(if you try to look this close at my cars on the track, three cats will claw out your eyeballs)

This shows striping better but color looks too grey.
I am not able to be as precise as 2 decades ago with shaky hands - this is best looking area, but, hey, I am thankful to still be able to do this at all!!!!

Gold is cut from Microscale trim film sheet.
Black and Red are from HO scale sheets of 1 and 2 inch striping.
Lettering is most likely going to be this http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=90243&Category_Code=ALPHA&Product_Count=92
Will have to buy it after first of month, no can do this week.
looked at other colors for lettering but liked idea of gold best.

Roof on V&T combine used as inspiration is either white or grey, hard to be sure in online photo from museum but I'm thinking Krylon Outdoor spaces Brick spray paint.  Or maybe a charcoal grey.
Thought is Brick, though somewhat lighter, would tie in with oxide red tender deck and running boards on Glenbrook Valley loco.
And I'm envisioning Rocky Mountain area desert-ish locale, sort of like snowed-in region on train set's box top, where light colors would have advantages.

BTW, just noticed on my GV loco it looks like striping on domes is printed wrapper.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

on30gn15

Here's an overall view of partly finished car

Oh, loco comes as a wood burner but with a stack from a friend and swapping its wood for coal from Durango & Silverton loco GV loco is now a rather classy looking coal burner.

Stack was made taller by about 1/8 to 3/16 inch by adding styrene at bottom - looks better to me.
later, Forrest

on30gn15

Slowly making progress, here's what she looks like now

later, Forrest

Joe Satnik

Hey, you really put some work into it. 

Looks nice. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

on30gn15

Thanks Joe  :)

1860, 1870, 1880 are my favorite looking trains - I like the colorfulness.

Intent is to create a mixed train consist on the theme of the Glenbrook Valley reefer in set.
Would like to be able to get these 2 new reefers to make up the train.
And I know they are not 1870 style cars. And, yeah, so . . . ?  ;) ;D

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3155

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3156

With my income being what it is, maybe Mike at River Eagle Hobbies will let me do a 3 month layaway, one car at a time?

Is it kind of ironic that someone who is lactose intolerant wants a train of dairy reefers?
later, Forrest

on30gn15

More progress - clerestory windows.
Red window moldings from kit turned out to NOT look good with this color scheme.

Hmm . . . well, let's see . . . what could be made?
Clear? Boring.
Green glass? Eh, too much green.
One time used clear styrene to make red/yellow/blue/white swirly pattern glass for HO interurban car. More work than I want to do right now.

Ummm, hey, some Virginia & Truckee cars used a pattern in frosted class, how about just plain frosted glass look?
That will work  ;D
Now, how to do?

Sheet .010 clear styrene. Use masking tape to mark off band one long side.
With 220 the 400 wet or dry sandpaper give section thorough sanding to fog styrene.

Next, hope it's your lucky day with spray paint.
Tape sheet to piece of cardboard box or something to use to hold it down.
Mist sanded section with white spray paint.
Paint on hand which seemed best candidate for success was Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer (L) White. It is really fine particles.

I got it too thick first time  :-[ sanded off and did over.
Success second time  ;D

Will have to buy a new camera chip before can offer photos, full, and there's nothing on it I wish to dump to even get just one more photo.
later, Forrest

Alex Butner

On30gn15, I have modified my summit pass engine too. It has a royal blue body, painted boiler backhead, weathering (not that great, but good for a first try), & a working coupler for double heading locos.

on30gn15

Quote from: Alex Butner on July 16, 2010, 10:56:38 PM& a working coupler for double heading locos.
Something I've been wondering about.
later, Forrest

Doneldon

On30-

Next time use your computer to draw the window patterns in color and print to overhead transparency material.  Then you can just cut out the "painted" windows and install them right in your car.  No need to mask, screw around with paint or anything like that.  And it will look great.
                                                                -- D

on30gn15

Quote from: Doneldon on July 17, 2010, 04:27:31 AMNext time use your computer to draw the window patterns in color and print to overhead transparency material.  Then you can just cut out the "painted" windows and install them right in your car. 
That is an idea.

Oh, here's those photos.

later, Forrest

Doneldon

On30-

What can I say?  It looks super.

-- D