The Pennsylvanian (BAC90082) Set Questions

Started by Alex Butner, July 09, 2010, 10:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Butner

Remember when I bought the Summit Pass train set? Well, in two weeks I am purchasing the Pennsylvanian set and I would like to ask questions about it.
1. Is it really beautiful in person?
2. Does it have an engineer & fireman figurine with it?
3. Are the coaches track powered or Battery powered?
4. Is the green metallic or glossy?
5. Does it smoke better than the wood burning versions?
I have settled on this set because I have always loved the Pennsy Keystone and the paint schemes. So, what do you think of my choice? Is it worth it?

EDIT: I'm getting the White Pass set instead because it has more track. Or maybe the Mountaineer.

on30gn15

I got one last year.
1. Yes. In particular the red color of the cars and the tender striping.
2. Mine did not
3. coach lighting by battery.
I got an individual combine kit - kits have wheel wipers for track power, wiper friction is like having brakes half on, battery like set cars is now my preference.
4. gloss green
5. same smoke and sound.

What do I think of your choice?
I'm going to have to decline to answer on the grounds that as I have purchased a PRR set I can not give an impartial assessment.

something worth doing is obtaining Tomar's kit of marker lamps to add to the obs https://tomarindustries.com/gs.htm They add a lot.
{it will be necessary to cut small bits out of packaging to accept the protruding lamps for storing car in set box}

And if you are feeling really ambitious here's before and after/in-progress photos of a repaint on my PRR 4-6-0 to perhaps spark a project of your own
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,10505.0.html
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Doneldon

Alex-

Don't expect much from the smoker, and that's a good thing.  It's not just that the smokers don't look very good; the smoke deposits oily stuff everywhere and creates a big mess over time.  It attracts dirt and causes conduction problems when it gets on the tracks.  I strongly urge you to forgo its use.

-- D

tony@skippystrains

Alex, Don is absolutely correct.  Unless you are fastidious about wiping down your engine following each session, the oil residue will settle everywhere.  We run our smoke units no matter what the gauge, one in three operating sessions, then the engines are wiped down along with the track.  Time consuming, yes, but worth it.
Tony Fortunato / Skippy's Train Shed

Alex Butner

I occasionally have to clean my 4-6-0, because it makes a mess from the smoke fluid, but it is harmless to my bedroom/playroom's bamboo floors (which are excellent for trains). I think the bachmann smoke unit does great, since my smokes like an MTH locomotive. How come 90050 comes with an engineer and fireman, but 90082 doesn't? I would love to purchase 90058, but it sells out too often. Do you think that 90059 would be more suitable? I think $219.99 is a great deal, but 90082 is $206.89. But, for $13 more, I am getting more track in the set.
Does 90059 (White Pass & Yukon Set) have:
1. Working Back up light?
2. Metal Side rods?
3. Opening firebox?
4. Anniversary loco?
5. Track or Battery powered coaches?

tony@skippystrains

Alex, depending on your preferences, set 90059 (White Pass) is a limited edition set and is equipped with an anniversary locomotive, metal running gear, I believe the smoke box opens for access to the smoke unit switch, the new description does not state battery or track powered lighting for the rolling stock, I am assuming it is battery powered.

Take care,
Tony
Tony Fortunato / Skippy's Train Shed

Alex Butner

Thanks Tony
EDIT: I'm going to attempt to buy a big hauler set because the N scale mountain doesn't work.