Now that's an interesting paint coincidence.

Started by on30gn15, July 16, 2010, 02:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Now that's an interesting paint coincidence.

Went to backdate paint scheme on PRR passenger cars to dark olive green frames and trucks with boxcar red or brown roofs.

When pulled the low tack blue masking tape off letterboards both roofs lost a bit of letterboard paint at end over toilet window.

If BOTH roofs lost paint in same area it is probably not something I did.
Something in factory handling affecting adhesion in that area?
Ya think?

-->Next question, what color of what paint to use for touch up?
Have lots of Tamiya and PollyScale on hand.
And an airbrush.
(needs a new tip though)

WHY can't Bachmann projects go right THE FIRST TIME??? >:( ??? :-\
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

on30gn15

So, what is Bachmann's official recommendation for touch up paint?

I'm in the mind right now to bet you are not capable of doing that.

Yeah, I know that's something of a confrontational attitude.
later, Forrest

mudhen

I have only 2 thoughts when air brushing or using paint by brush.
( 1 ) Make sure you washed the old body shell, to get rid of dirt and oils from your dirty little fingers.
( 2 ) After you have painted your piece of equipment, and had it dry for about 1/2 an hour, from a distance, and I mean a far distance away, use a hair dryer to lightly heat the tape to make it a little easier to carefully peel it off your project.
I also like Tamiya or True line paints because they are water base and look great with easy clean up too. I use windshield washer fluid to clean up my mess when finished painting.   

RBMN #425 Fan

or you can just use a bit of weathering.
that's what i'd do :) ;) :)
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

on30gn15

Quote from: mudhen on July 16, 2010, 07:08:14 PMfrom a distance, and I mean a far distance away, use a hair dryer to lightly heat the tape to make it a little easier to carefully peel it off your project.

Boy, that sure goes opposite what I'd have expected - that the heat would have made the sticky stuff leave residue.
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

Hi, when removing tape try not to pull it straight away from the painted surface, in stead pull it back on it self so the non sticky sides are almost touching as you pull, this lowers the risk of lifting paint off the surface.
I also agree, it's a lttle suspect that the problem was in the same area.
Just my 2 cents

NM

Doneldon

On30-

I'd keep the guy with the bad GI trouble out of the bathrooms in the future.

-- D

on30gn15

Quote from: NarrowMinded on July 17, 2010, 03:43:11 AMHi, when removing tape try not to pull it straight away from the painted surface, in stead pull it back on it self so the non sticky sides are almost touching as you pull, this lowers the risk of lifting paint off the surface.

Been doing that since 1983 doing custom painting of Athearn, Atlas, AHM, Bachmann HO for me and for a few others, and military models too.

I didn't HAVE this trouble with painting over factory paint back then, even Bachmann's.

And when I screwed up my own paint jobs, having painted it myself made it obvious what was compatible to fix it.

With factory stuff these days it's a crap shoot.
And if you guess wrong you are just s.o.l.

Yes, I'm generally irritated and grouchy right now.
later, Forrest

on30gn15

Quote from: Doneldon on July 17, 2010, 04:21:19 AMI'd keep the guy with the bad GI trouble out of the bathrooms in the future.

;D ;D ;D
The important thing is where'd he get those hot wings that peel paint?
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

It's probably where the Chinese worker grabs the part before paint and contaminates the surface with oils from his hand, or if you right handed where you start laying the tape down first and put a little more pressure in that spot. Whatever the reason I will take your bad luck and take extra care when masking the Christmas coaches I am painting for my wife.

NM

PS we all get grouchy when a simple job turns to Crap.