News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Overland Limited HO Set

Started by ABC, July 22, 2010, 02:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABC

Overall I am very satisfied with the set. The locomotive ran much better than I was anticipating and the rolling stock remained coupled for extended periods. I have two suggestions for future consideration. 1. The track included in the set is steel, but most people prefer the Nickel-Silver even though it is more expensive, it will pay dividends in the long run not having to upgrade later on. 2. The rolling stock included was the standard rolling stock. I think the set would be greatly improved if it included the Silver-series rolling stock that is equipped with the E-Z Mate Mark II couplers and metal wheel sets as found in sets like the Digital Commander (which is an excellent set). Aside from those two areas the set was well worth the $130 I paid (I used a 40% off coupon).

Joe323

Do you entend to equpt it for DCC?

nmewarlok

I am glad your experience with it was better than mine. The loco kept derailing and the front pilot truck broke off. Instructions that came with the set suggested 22 or better radius track, and the included track is 18!. After switching track to 22 radius curves the loco preforms MUCH better. The couplers on the cars kept coming apart until I purchased mark II connectors, and then later kadee #5. The log set trucks were very squeaky and the middle wheels kept digging themselves into the side of the truck. I had to replace them with trucks I stole from another peice of stock. The piston fixtures on the loco kept binding up as well. So ... broken loco, too small on the curves, and rolling stock that had to be fixed with aftermarket couplers. I felt like I did not get my 150 dollars worth. From a review i later read on amazon, im not the only one with the broken front truck on the loco.

Michigan Railfan

Yeah, mine wasn't all that great either. It derailed on an EZ Track switch, and fell off onto the ground, and the pieces connecting the piston to the loco itself broke. As a side note: the loco was running at half speed , and the EZ Track was on the floor.
After that, the side rod on the same side that the piston broke (left) began falling apart. I could always fix it, but it would always end up coming apart again. After that I was running it on my friend's shelf layout about 3 1/2 to 4 feet above the ground. The side rods came apart and it tumbled right off of the layout, onto the tile floor. I'm sure you could guess what happened.

ABC

From what I have heard, the sets produced this year have a better running loco then previous sets. I would not know about the track though because I do not use E-Z track, except every once in a while to test some locos out on a temporary setup. And I sell all the steel (black) E-Z track I acquire. The day after I bought the set I replaced the couplers with Kadee #148s and replaced all the wheels with InterMountain 33" wheel sets.
I think the loco will stay DC because I already have a lot of 4-8-4s with DCC...I have 2 N&W class J's, 2 AT&SF Northerns, 1 NYC Niagara, 1 SP Daylight GS-4. The only other 4-8-4 I have is a Chessie Steam Special GS-4 and it does not run at all, I got it for free almost 20 years ago.
I sold the track for a net profit of about $40, so it is like paying only $90.
Blink-Try to avoid situations where you put the loco in harm's way, keep enough room so it won't fall off the table and try to be a little more careful.

Michigan Railfan

Yeah, ABC. My "layout" of EZ Track is on the ground. But however, due to my friend'slayout having a tunnel going right next to a doorway, only one track is continuous all around. If he were to make the 2nd track continuous, he would have to cut through the molding around the door and widen the tunnel, but there is also a pipe in the mini closet it runs through,  posing another problem. But, I guess it's fine considering the engine was never a real great runner to begin with.

ABC

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on July 22, 2010, 08:23:03 PMI guess it's fine considering the engine was never a real great runner to begin with.
You must of had an older one or at least one not made this year; the current one is not bad, the older ones could have some issues.

Michigan Railfan

It definitly wasn't made this year. I bought it several years ago. It still had the same cars and box, but the engine was obviously older. It eventually got to a point to where it couldn't pull all of the cars that came with the set. But I got it for only 130 bucks, so I guess I can't really complain for that price.  :)

nmewarlok

No idea when it was made, but i purchased it nov of last year with problems.

nmewarlok

WEll the one i looked last night on the online store now includes 22 radi curves, I had 18 radi in the set i bought in Nov, so maybe they addressed at least one of the problems with the newer sets. It really sets me on fire though knowing that :)

Doneldon

All-

I'm not so sure that buying set trains is a good idea.  Other than the DCC sets, the included components tend to be pretty cheap.  By the time couplers and wheels are replaced you have the same money you'd have paid for better equipment in the first place, plus you've invested time and energy.  I'd skip the train sets, even (maybe especially) for kids.

-- D

Michigan Railfan

Doneldon- I don't buy sets, unless they're a really good brand. I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow, and if they have any Spectrum sets I may get one since those are (or seem to be) good sets. I hope they have the Nor' Easter for a good price. Another brand I may buy is Atlas Trainman. I considered ordering a BNSF Trainman set off of modeltrainstuff.com, because they're only 100 bucks. They seem like good sets: metal wheels, knuckle couplers, and a GP-38. Other than those brands, I usually don't buy sets anymore.

ABC

I bought 200 Intermountain brass wheels for $35/100. I bought 200 pair Kadee #148s for $0.75/pair. The Bachmann cars have average detail, but after you add the brass wheels and Kadee couplers they are solid cars. Add $1.50 for metal wheel & couplers per car so add $13.50 total to get 9 solid cars, just a bit lacking in detail. The new locomotive is acceptable and it is the only way to get a decent UP 4-8-4 inexpensively (others are pretty expensive). So the Bachmann cars are typically $5-$6 each, so 9 cars times $5-6 is $45-54. So $90 minus $45=$45 for the loco. I sold the track from the set for $40, so the set only actually cost me $90.

DaveMFnC

The older Loco's that cam in this set have a hydraulic lifter on the smokestack, the newer ones do not. The older ones also don't have blackened siderods. The one I got in my set is exactly (mechanism wise) the same as the newest run of 4-8-4's sold seperatly. Great engines.
Getting back into the hobby, one guitar sale at a time ;)

Jhanecker2

I own an Overland Limited set that was bought about 3 years ago and it came with 22" Radius curved track . It runs reasonably well , though I may get around to upgrading the wheels to metal  and possibly  changing the couplings to Kadee if failure occurs .  The biggest detriment to smooth running  is always the condition of the track and roadbed , just as it is in prototype operation .  J2