News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing sound in 2-8-0 Consolidation

Started by John, July 22, 2010, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

I would like to convert my 2-8-0 to sound. Will the full size Soundtraxx Tsumani fit in the tender with a speaker? What diameter / model speaker will fit without any cutting or trimming?

Tim

John

The full size Tsunami will fit nicely in the 2-8-0 tender.

For the speaker use a hi-bass speaker from one of the following,

Litchfield Station SP-27RHB-08 , TTX (Tony's ) HB106R , Soundtraxx  810130.

1.06" dia.  .58" deep.

The speaker grill/mount provided by Bachmann will have to be opened a bit to accomidate
the speaker. 

I have used this speaker in all my sound equipped loco's even the 4-4-0.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Steve Magee

Pretty much agree with Tim's recommendation, but the High Bass 1.57" speaker complements (IMHO) the larger size of the 2-8-0, I have used this in both the 2-8-0 and the old 2-6-0. The tender may require a bit of modification (remove the mounting posts, replace with 1/4" Plastruct or whatever blocks at the side of the tender, screwed into from beneath.

Lovely sound though :-)

BTW, if you use a Tsunami 750, it is also possible to use a Hi Bass 1.22" dia in the tender of the inside frame 4-4-0.

Regards

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

C.S.R.R. Manager

Litchfield Station also has some good info on how to do DCC/Sound installs.  It's really an art, if you do it well.

http://mrdccu.com/

Manager

John

Thanks for the replies.

One other question is a baffle / speaker enclosure recommended or is the tender shell enough?

Tim

John

It is a matter of personal preference.

I have recently installed Tsunami's in a pair of 4-6-0's for a client, one with and one without.
The decoder parameters were identical the only difference was the baffle.

The one with the baffle has a sharper chuff than the one without , the other sounds seem the same.

BTW the enclosures are not a slip fit on the speaker there is no allowance made for the speaker
terminals and wires.  You must modify the enclosure to fit.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA