Excellent Track Adhesive & Tools

Started by CNE Runner, July 29, 2010, 06:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

I 'discovered' the advantages of gluing down track some years ago; and have left the practice of 'spiking down the iron'. Usually I use a latex caulk and some weights on the track until the whole thing dries.

One problem, with latex caulking, is that it dries white (or whatever color you decide to purchase). This means that one has to be careful about getting the caulk on ties - or anywhere else that will be visible. [I know...you are very observant and always wipe up spills.]

Recently I found a product that is a solvent free adhesive...which dries clear. The product is made by Loctite and is called Loctite Stick n' Seal. The product is packaged in a 2 oz. (59 mL) tube and is available from Lowe's (and probably other box stores). It is a 'water clean-up product.

Tonight I laid some of the track on the Sweet Haven addition to the Monks' Island Railway. The Stick n' Seal immediately held the track in position - adhering to the Peco flex track and the Styrofoam underlayment. This product seemed to hold the track when there was a considerable bend in the rails (although I still used push pins to make sure nothing 'wandered'). You still have several minutes to gently move the track before it is cemented in place. About a half-hour later all the Stick n' Seal had turned clear.

Hope this helps those of you building your first layout.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

OldTimer

Ray, thanks for the tip.  I'm always on the lookout for new products, and will check this out the next time I'm at Lowes.
Just workin' on the railroad.

mabloodhound

You can also get clear caulk made by DAP and others that dries without color and I'll bet it's cheaper than the Loctite.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Jim Banner

I found listings for two Loctite Stik-N-Seal products.  One is the "Indoor Adhesive" version that has a limited temperature range (thus the "indoor" designation) and the other is for "Extreme Conditions" Stick-N-Seal which should work outdoors in virtually all of North America.  The MSDS and Technical Information for Loctite products is available at this link:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/techdata-msds.shtml

Basically, it looks like it is a mild hazard if the fumes are breathed too long and, of course, it contains contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer.  I have not seen it in Canada yet but I will certainly be looking for it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe323

Quote from: CNE Runner on July 29, 2010, 06:16:21 PM
I 'discovered' the advantages of gluing down track some years ago; and have left the practice of 'spiking down the iron'. Usually I use a latex caulk and some weights on the track until the whole thing dries.

One problem, with latex caulking, is that it dries white (or whatever color you decide to purchase). This means that one has to be careful about getting the caulk on ties - or anywhere else that will be visible. [I know...you are very observant and always wipe up spills.]

Recently I found a product that is a solvent free adhesive...which dries clear. The product is made by Loctite and is called Loctite Stick n' Seal. The product is packaged in a 2 oz. (69 mL) tube and is available from Lowe's (and probably other box stores). It is a 'water clean-up product.

Tonight I laid some of the track on the Sweet Haven addition to the Monks' Island Railway. The Stick n' Seal immediately held the track in position - adhering to the Peco flex track and the Styrofoam underlayment. This product seemed to hold the track when there was a considerable bend in the rails (although I still used push pins to make sure nothing 'wandered'). You still have several minutes to gently move the track before it is cemented in place. About a half-hour later all the Stick n' Seal had turned clear.

Hope this helps those of you building your first layout.

Ray

So we aren't running up down in Lowes what aisle or department was it in?

CNE Runner

Joe - It was in the Glues/Adhesives section of the paint department at our local Lowe's. The 2oz [59mL] tube cost $2.98. A tube of this stuff will go a long way.

Application hint: We get numerous plastic 'credit cards' in the mail and I always save these (Good Sam's Club sends one every other month it seems). I put a small amount of Stick n' Seal along the center line of the roadbed. I then use one of these fake 'credit cards' to smooth the adhesive (or caulk) down. You only need a very thin layer to adhere the track to the roadbed. DO NOT glue turnouts down! [If any piece of trackwork needs maintenance - or replacement - it will be the turnouts.] BTW: you can remove glued down track by gently inserting a putty knife between the ties and the roadbed.

Ray

CNE Runner

While not an adhesive, this little table saw makes cutting small strip wood and track easy and accurate. I got mine from Harbor Freight for $39.99. Harbor Freight always has a 20% off coupon - making this tool very affordable.
I have been using mine for cutting the track on the Sweet Haven addition and am very impressed. You will still need to do some finish filing...but nothing like using rail cutters. Use the included diamond blade for track. The included steel blade is too coarse for anything in fine modeling; but other blades are available from: http://stores.ebay.com/Zimbyo_4-inch-Circular-Saw-Blades_W0QQ_fsubZ12919953QQ_sidZ6961860QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Ray

BradKT

"Gorilla Glue" from Home Depot works for me.  It's white like a wood glue and dries clear...and what is glued STAYS glued.  I have used it to glue down track, buildings and landscape...no complaints.

If something has to come up, just break the seal with a sharp knife.

It works on wood, plastic, glass...you name it...and it dries overnight.

Joe323

Quote from: BradKT on August 04, 2010, 11:50:06 PM
"Gorilla Glue" from Home Depot works for me.  It's white like a wood glue and dries clear...and what is glued STAYS glued.  I have used it to glue down track, buildings and landscape...no complaints.

If something has to come up, just break the seal with a sharp knife.

It works on wood, plastic, glass...you name it...and it dries overnight.

But you have to be careful cause Gorilla Glue expands as it dries which makes it good for filling gaps, but it can have unintended consequences.

Doneldon

Brad and Joe-

There are several kinds of Gorilla Glue.  I'm guessing that Brad was talking about the wood glue since he said it was white and turned clear.  The regular Gorilla Glue is amber and it turns a lighter shade when it dries.  It does expand when it cures (technically, it doesn't dry) but what squeezes out can be easily cut off because it is kind of foamy.

I've not used the wood glue but it must be fabulous if it's anything like the regular Gorilla Glue.  The only down side, and this may apply only to the regular glue, is that you can only keep it for six to twelve months after opening because any moisture at all starts the curing process and it will harden in the bottle.
                                                                                       -- D

Joe323

Quote from: Doneldon on August 05, 2010, 12:05:57 PM
Brad and Joe-

There are several kinds of Gorilla Glue.  I'm guessing that Brad was talking about the wood glue since he said it was white and turned clear.  The regular Gorilla Glue is amber and it turns a lighter shade when it dries.  It does expand when it cures (technically, it doesn't dry) but what squeezes out can be easily cut off because it is kind of foamy.

I've not used the wood glue but it must be fabulous if it's anything like the regular Gorilla Glue.  The only down side, and this may apply only to the regular glue, is that you can only keep it for six to twelve months after opening because any moisture at all starts the curing process and it will harden in the bottle.
                                                                                       -- D

I was referring to the amber glue I never knew their were others.