News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dimensions on #6 Crossover?

Started by xero1123, July 30, 2010, 12:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xero1123

Hi there, I'm thinking about getting a crossover to go to an outer loop. The only problem is I am having a hard time finding the length of the actual piece. The sites keep giving me different answers, but hobbylinc says 21 - 1/4" I just wanted to ask if this is the correct measurement. The reason I'm asking is that it is going to go on one side of my layout that is 42", and I don't know how to break down the track to keep it that length. If I alter the length on that, the rest of the layout will have to be altered, and I'm trying to keep it as least expensive as possible

also, I have the #5 Switch, and was thinking about getting a second one instead to make the crossover that way. However, once again I do not know what the dimensions would be. Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this.

ABC

Just cut the straight track to fit and use a little adhesive on the side of the roadbed and rail joiners.

vidguy069

I can't answer the #6 crossover because I no longer have any.
However the 'straight edge' of a #5 turn out is 11.5 inches.

Hope this is helpful

Vidguy069

jward

i can't give a definitive answer regarding ez track, but an atlas number 6 crossover is 20" in length on 2" centers. so 21 1/4" seems like a reasonable dimension.

that said, if you are using 22" radius for your outer loop, then your table will need to be be at least 68" long. 21 1/4 + 44 = 65 1/4"......this dimension would be between the centerlines of the 22" curves at either end. 68" would bring the track extremely close to the edge of the table.

you have three options:

1. use #5 crossover, and hope it fits.

2. redesign the layout for a larger table, say 72" or 78" wide.

3. add wood blocks to either end of the table only in the places where the tracks overhang the edges.

personally, i'd opt for option 2.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

xero1123

My layout is going to be a 5'x10', but i may do the outer loop in 18 with some straight track thrown in. That said, i just discovered the connector set that has 1/4" track and stuff, so i'm probably going to get the #5 right turnout and use it with the one i already have to create a crossover. If i do need to add width, I'll probably just add the wood blocks like you said, as I already have the plywood sheet. I just wanted to keep the 42 inches on the inner loop, so i'll do some math and get the connector set to make up for the weird lengths of the inner loop. Besides it will save me money in the long run so I don't have to buy the big piece. Unfortunately I like the look of the big piece, but oh well. Thanks for all the help!

Reinhard S

I just measured the length of the number 6 crossover on my layout and the 21.25" dimension quoted earlier is correct.  The track assortment set will come in handy, once available.  I am planning to use several #6 crossovers which will present some odd dimensions.

All the best.

Reinhard   

Doneldon

xero-

You'll do better with 22" curves than with 18" with straights thrown in.

-- D

jward

it seems to me that if the crossover is located along the 9' side of your layout you should have more than enough room to have it and the 22" radius curves as well.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

xero1123

Quote from: jward on August 01, 2010, 12:50:54 PM
it seems to me that if the crossover is located along the 9' side of your layout you should have more than enough room to have it and the 22" radius curves as well.....

So you're saying that the 5x10 should be fine for 22 radius? Also I decided just to get the #5 right turnout since I already had one to save some money. I also bought the adapter pack thing, so I think I'll be set. I can't wait to build this thing but it will probably be a while as we're still in the process of cleaning the basement.

jward

yes, a 5x10 is more than enough room for 22" radius. in fact, 22" was designed to fit on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. with the extra foot of room you could go to an even larger radius, say 26". or you could use the extra room to set your 22" radius back from the edge of the layout.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

xero1123

I'll probably add scenery around the extra space, which is good. I also am glad i do have a little extra space to work with, and, like I said, I could probably get kind of creative with the scenery. Thanks for all the the help!

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

There are only 2 critical dimensions for track planning unique to the #6 crossover.

Center-to-center track spacing between the main lines:  2-3/8"

Length: 21-1/4"

Measurements provided by Hunt long ago.

Some try to match the crossover's length on the other side of their oval(s) with straights and fitters, or bring the length of the crossover up to 27" (a multiple of 9") by adding fitters.

You don't need to worry about it, though.    

You will need one of each (L and R) to "cross over" without backing your train up.  (Think about it.)

Put one on each long side of the table.  Their lengths match each other, so your oval(s) will be nice, straight and symmetrical.  

Dimensions common to all HO EZ-Track:

HO gauge = 0.651"

Code 100 rail.

Track bed width: A hair under 2"

Center-to-center tie spacing: (most of the time, but not always true) 1/4", or 4 ties per inch of straight track.

Hope this helps.  

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: changed oval to oval(s)
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.