News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

just curious

Started by bevernie, February 06, 2007, 11:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

??? Well where to begin? Well I am another Stephen or Steve to friends on the Short line I worked to help create back in 1998. The Kosciusko and Southwestern worked on it till 2003 when a bridge collapsed under me while on top of my Fairmont derrick and now enjoying life the best I can on disability and SSI at the old age of 31 :-[

I got into model trains ate age of two. When my aunt bought me a Chattanooga Choo Choo set by Tyco still got the 2-8-9 and 250 ton big hook guess that explains my love for cranes and trains. I have lived in Bentonia, Mississippi all my life within ear shot of the Yazoo District of the Mainline of Mid America the Illinois Central now CN (ICK)  Sorry CN lovers but I love my ICRR more than any RR in North America even through the black days of the  ICG.

I now model in HO and G 1:20.3 and 1:29 mostly have some Lionel from my youth some N at one time which I sold eyes to bad to see it now days with diabetes and nerve damagedestroying my eye sight and I own 2 Fairmont Motorcars in 1:1 scale and a fairmont derrick. I like everything from the Civil War era to 1990's but model mostly the transistion era from Steam to Diesel in HO it is standard gauge Y&MV and ICRR in Large it is ICRR Southern and a narrow guage logging lines since my grandfather used to run and own two shays in the early 1920s here in Mississippi. Well enough ramblin's.

Stephen

Terry Toenges

Ken,
I was down there (Tracks Ahead) the week before last with my grandson. Were you one of the guys there?
Feel like a Mogul.

Atlantic Central

Where am I from? Born and raised in Maryland, Have allways lived within 30 miles of Baltimore, on one side or the other, except for a brief year in Huntington Station, NY, as a teen.

I am fairly well traveled on the east coast, but have never lived anywhere else. Originally lived south of Baltimore near the state capitol of Annapolis. now live north of Baltimore in Forest Hill, a little village that was once a stop on the Ma & Pa Railroad. The railroad ran right behind our house which was built in 1901.

What do I do? I have been a Hobby Shop Clerk, Electrician, Designer Draftsman, Construction Project Manager, MATCO Tools distributor, just to name a few. Now I am self employed as a Restoration Consultant, Real Estate Home Inspector and Residential Designer.

What do I model? I have been in the hobby since I was 11 (1968) when I was given control of a 9x15 L shaped HO layout my father built. It was the first of several. I was a member of the Severna Park Model Railroad Club for many years (thier layout has been in MR a number of times) and am now a member of a local round robin group.

I now model my own freelanced railroad called the Atlantic Central, set in 1954 it is a large Class I railroad with both steam and diesel. The current layout is being redesigned to be moveable since my wife and I have decided we will be moving in a few years, most likely to the southwestern part of Virginia.

Sheldon

kevin2083

I lived in Placerville, CA until I was 12. I found out after we moved that there was a railroad going through there. Now,the railroad I'm modeling (or at least trying to) is the Camino, Placerville, and Lake Tahoe Railroad.

I currently live in Hunsville, AL and I'm a Juinor in high school- class of '08. My intrest dropped but picked up recently since I got my first car-'97 toyota camry in a dark greenish color. I plan to go into auto / diesel mechenics and possibly locomotive mechenics.

There are 4 different railroads within 20 minutes of my house, but only 1 hobby shop within an hour's drive. My layout keeps changing sizes, depending on how often my little sister tries to "help." Right now, it's a 4x8 table plus a 2x10 shelf, and it all fits in my bedroom somehow.   

I'm glad to be back on this forum- I think the last time I was on was around new years. ;D
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Stephen Warrington

Welcome to the neighborhood lol I am next door in Mississippi haven't found anyone on line yet into model trains like me except for a few close friends here in state. Welcome back.

Stephen

Ken Huck

For Terry Toenges:  No, I wasn't there when you were, but I did retire from
the Corps in '89.  I was wondering if you might be interested in railroading
in the 'lead belt' area...or if you might want to get together some time and
'jaw jack' at the ge dunk ?  I'm in the book.

CJCrescent

Quote from: kevin drake on February 26, 2007, 10:23:36 PM

I currently live in Hunsville, AL and I'm a Juinor in high school- class of '08. ..

There are 4 different railroads within 20 minutes of my house, but only 1 hobby shop within an hour's drive.

Kevin;

What shop is an hour away? Where in Huntsville are you located? ???
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

HOplasserem80c

Quote from: Stephen Warrington on February 26, 2007, 10:49:16 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood lol I am next door in Mississippi haven't found anyone on line yet into model trains like me except for a few close friends here in state. Welcome back.

Stephen

What about me. i am from st.louis.

bevernie

CJ!! Want to swap places?? well... not quite. I actually call SALEM, AL. "home", but I married someone from NC, so we live here for now. She "teases" me by saying that "someday" we'll retire and go to my place (4 3/4 acres ), but that hasn't happened yet!! LOL There is a set of crossing bars, complete with the lights and everything, in the next town over (Fletcher) that I would dearly love to have, but I couldn't even afford the crain to move them if they were GIVEN to me!! But I "dream" about having them and a CABOOSE set up on my place in ALABAMA!!... and WORKING!! Can you imagine having those bars come down and lights flashing as you come home and park next to that caboose?   WOW!!
                                                                                          Ernie
                                         (for now!!)                         Hendersonville, NC
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

CJCrescent

Quote from: bevernie on February 27, 2007, 06:25:40 PM
CJ!! Want to swap places?? well... not quite. I actually call SALEM, AL. "home", but I married someone from NC, so we live here for now. She "teases" me by saying that "someday" we'll retire and go to my place (4 3/4 acres ), but that hasn't happened yet!! LOL There is a set of crossing bars, complete with the lights and everything, in the next town over (Fletcher) that I would dearly love to have, but I couldn't even afford the crain to move them if they were GIVEN to me!! But I "dream" about having them and a CABOOSE set up on my place in ALABAMA!!... and WORKING!! Can you imagine having those bars come down and lights flashing as you come home and park next to that caboose?   WOW!!
                                                                                          Ernie
                                         (for now!!)                         Hendersonville, NC

You git back down here where you belong and we'll get together!

CJ
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

SteamGene

Cj,
I believe that's "You git rite back down heah whar you belong..."  Or is that the Louisiana comin out in me?  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

CJCrescent

Quote from: SteamGene on February 28, 2007, 05:29:39 PM
Cj,
I believe that's "You git rite back down heah whar you belong..."  Or is that the Louisiana comin out in me?  ;D
Gene

Gene;

Nah, ain't yo' Louisiana cummin' out,  ;D Ah jes' wanted da yankees heah to be able to figger out wut ah say-ed! :P

Ernie;

Where's Salem? Been thru most towns in the state and don't recall it. Could you elaborate? ???
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

Terry Toenges

Ken,
Sometime, maybe we can get together. I've got a lot on my plate right now as my wife is laid up for a few weeks.
Feel like a Mogul.

ebtnut

Born at the very beginning of the Baby Boom, I've lived virtually all my life in the suburbs of the Nation's Capital.  The first train I remember was a little wooden pull toy loco and a couple of cars.  I spent some early summers with my paternal grandparents up in northwest Pennsylvania, where the PRR was still all-steam.  That probably sealed the deal for me.  After some early Marx and American Flyer toys, I got into serious HO during high school.  During a stint in the Navy I tried a little N scale, but after discharge went back to HO for a while.  However, the narrow gauge bug was strong, having bit during my first visit to the EBT in 1962.  Decided to change to On3, and now have an O/On3 pike under way in the basement.  May not get "done" before we retire and move.  We'll see. 

I have worked as a city planner, now a zoning administrator. 

bevernie

CJ!! You don't know where the big city of SALEM, AL. is?? Actually, there are 3 SALEM communities, but mine is the only one with a real official UNITED STATES POST OFFICE!! One community is up near Huntsville, another is a bit southwest of Montgomery, and mine (THE BIG CITY) is about midway between Phenix City and Opelika,. The "city" is on 431/280, but I'm in the "suburbs", on hwy. 179, about 3 miles north of another big city called "Crawford", on hwy 80! :o  We're getting our house refinanced, and the closing is scheduled for next week, so maybe soon I'll be able to go back (after over two years!!) and see what the place looks like!! I'm getting old, so I really can't remember!! Oh, well....
                                                                                           LATER!!
                                                                                            Ernie
                                                                                 Hendersonville, NC
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com