News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trouble with Lenz decoders in 4-6-0 & 4-8-4

Started by VTBob, August 19, 2010, 06:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTBob

Never bought Lenz before. Just wanted a simple, easy to install decoder, no sound.

Went to see Tony @ Tony's Trains. He gave me a pair of plug-n-play decoders part # 10231-01 - standard Lenz - Digital plus.

4-6-0 63'' wheeler:

1. pulled out the dummy plug.

2. Cut caps marked C1 & C2 as per Tony's instructions.

3. Placed in the Lenz decoder plug, lining up the the orange wire with the "1" marker on the circut board plug.

4. Connected the tender leads to the locomotive & placed on DCC track.

5. turned on my NCE system & ........nothing. It can't even find the damned thing.

Any one got suggestions or pointers on what I should be looking for?

I haven't even bothered to try putting one in the 4-8-4 yet, because this one is just not working right. This is very annoying & frankly is starting to make me think that turning my fleet into a more modern running fleet just isn't worth the time & frusterations that I keep running into :P

Thanks.

Vermont Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

OldTimer

Just workin' on the railroad.

Jim Banner

There are two things that have to be set correctly - the address (typically 3 for a new decoder) and the number of speed steps.  Does your NEC system read back CV values?  If so, read back CV1 (short address), CV17 and CV18 (long address), CV19 (consisting address) and CV29 which will indicate whether short or long address is selected and what speed steps are selected.  If you post the numbers here, one or another of us will tell you what the decoder is presently programmed for.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

VTBob

in the 4-6-0: It can't read any CV values, because it can't read the decoder at all. I had cut capacitors C1 & C2.

In the 4-8-4: It runs forwards, backwards, & doesn't always want to stop. No capacitors are cut here because I don't know which to cut. Headlight is always on, but rear light never comes on.

Not sure how to read the CV values on the NCE system, currently reading the manual on how to do that.

Thanks,
Vermont Bob
R. Montanye

VTBob

I think the 4-6-0 has problems with the 8 pin plug on the circut board itself. I think what I need to do is to take out the board entirely, then hard wire the decoder into the unit itself.

Thanks,

Vermont BoB
R. Montanye

richg

I have the NCE Power Cab and it reads back decoder info as does our club NCE Power Pro but reading the manual first is almost always a big help.
My 4-4-0 and two capacitors and my 4-6-0 had three capacitors. I cut all and left the inductors in place.
I eventually hard wired in sound decoders.

Rich

VTBob

stupid question: What's an inductor look like?

also I count 4 capasiters on the bach-board. The lenz plug is very hard to get into the socket, so I wonder if it's too tight or broken inside. :P

VT BOb
R. Montanye

richg

Quote from: Zytx on August 20, 2010, 12:08:22 PM
stupid question: What's an inductor look like?

also I count 4 capasiters on the bach-board. The lenz plug is very hard to get into the socket, so I wonder if it's too tight or broken inside. :P

VT BOb

First of all. DCC is generally not plug and play. Those who say it is have done installs before and have experience. Many people assume it is easy.

The below photo shows two inductors that look like resistors. Quite a few have mistaken these for resistors.

What you are doing is what I call working at the component level. You can get into trouble if you do not know anything about electronic components.

Below is another type of inductor.

In this instance, I removed the inductors for a little more room. I eventually removed the board for a sound install.

All my locos had a tight fitting plug. I just use a jewelers screwdriver to pry the adapter out.

Rich