News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

what road names do you model

Started by ap0317ah, May 26, 2007, 02:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Ginkel

I model CSX, Conrail, and my Shortline Eastern Maryland. (I dont model any era so my equipment is very mixed)

For CSX I actually model Western Maryland, Since I run about any era It ranges from WM steam era equipment to modern CSX (my oldest loco is a WM 2-10-0 russian decapod, the newest is a CSX SD70m)

Conrail isnt much but a SD-60 and a few freight cars.

Eastern Maryland is my fictional shortline. It runs not only freight but local passenger trains ( I wont allow amtrak on my layout  ;D ). They also run an NG (hon3) tourist train. The loco roster is pretty simple, A RTA (chicago) F40ph (kato), A  NH RS-2 (proto) and a CB&Q GP-7 (also proto  :) ) do the freight work. There is also a Bachmann Doodlebug that makes an apperance here and there on an excursion. As for NG its a lone K-27 (soundtraxx) My layout is on the east coast but EM allows me to run equipment from all across the US (since all the locos are second hand) ;D

Bojangle

I live on a ranch (now retired) , layouts in progress, one room 12 x 9, adjoining (under construction) 12 x 12 , main layout is Union Pacific Axial Basin coal and freight (Northwest Colorado) in HO modern diesel,  second layout Narrow Gauge Circle (Blackhawk,Central City). D&RGW (Bumble Bee , my wife's set) and Rio Grande South,  Colorado Southern  ( line now called Leadville Colorado Southern).  Narrow gauge all Bachmann ON30, passenger and early freight/mining/logging.   Colorado Mining Co (Baldwin outside frame 2-8-0) , early Santa Fe (first train into Longmont/Denver), Central Pacific Jupiter and UP 119 (Promontory Point).

For the UP roster, rolling stock includes road names acquired by UP.
1981 Western Pacific
1982  Missouri Pacific
1988  Missouri Kansas Texas (Katy)
1995 Chicago N Western
1996 Southern Pacific
1996  D&RGW  ( coal hoppers)
1996  SSW,   Cotton Belt , Western Services
Various lease stock such as GATX , Winchester Western.
UP runs through our ranch, have observed all names above except Katy.  Many of them have the UP shield added, preserving the original name and number.

Bo

Rickmartin

I've always been interested in the following roads and model them as much as budget allows:
1. Pennsy because my grandfather was a fireman for the PRR
2. NYC because they passed thru my hometown
3. Monon because I'm originally from Indiana
4. C&O/B&O/N&W because they have some really interesting steam power
5. And 1 NKP Berkshire 'cuz I like 2-8-4's
Rick(PRR Man) Martin
PRR Man

NaugyRR

Well, I've been trying to stick with New Haven but somehow I've ended up with NYC, EMD, ATSF, BN, Amtrak, and PCC, LV, and I'm expecting a Metrolink Cabcar in November.

Jay

I am modelling Rock Island and Soo Line.  I have also added the local shortline ... Tacoma Rail.  My friend is modeling BNSF, Union Pacific and McCloud River.  With that range we are bridging the Midwest to the Great Northwest.
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse
www.trainweb.org/theroundhouse

r.cprmier

You all know me (sort of...)
I can give you three guesses which is a road I incorporate into my layout;
the first two don't count.  (hint:  see below).

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Guilford Guy

B&M in 1950 in both HO and G. Right now I'm leaning towards G but has soona s my spectrum connie comes in the mail and I trade tenders with lanny, I will start my B&M K7 bash. I also have a love for the MEC, LIRR, LV, other LV(Lamoille Valley), and NH.
Alex

Paul M.

Quote from: r.cprmier on August 29, 2007, 05:05:02 PM
You all know me (sort of...)
I can give you three guesses which is a road I incorporate into my layout;
the first two don't count.  (hint:  see below).

RIch

Gee, It can't be New Haven, can it?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

rogertra

I have freight cars from all over North America.  Does that count?

Now, if you want to know what prototype roadname locomotives I model, then that's a different question.

In addition to my freelance GER, CNR and CPR.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: lanny on May 26, 2007, 07:52:35 PM

This is an ICRR Consolidation ... I have the pilot truck removed while doing final detailing and smoothing, before sanding.

lanny nicolet

haha I've seen that loco before at steamtown with an MOW Crew train  Behind it

ryeguyisme

o yea,

I model mostly freelence anything I like
Most of my Rolling Stock is Gorre and Daphetid Cars--about 300 somewhat of those

and then theres my locos I kitbash

a mantua 2-6-6-2 with a UP big Boy Boiler cropped down

an AHM 20th century limited 4-6-4, modified and repainted red and black

a 0-8-0+0-6-2  a bachmann 2-8-0 converted into helper, or fast freight with an MDC chassis under the tender

A Rivarossi 0-8-0 with feedwater heater removed and tender replaced with a mantua slopeback tender

a mantua 4-6-2(found this for $20 bucks in some random antique shop) currently awaiting the modification torch

an AHM 4-8-8-2 cab forward undergoing a recovery modification after a cliff-fall from a 300 foot(think in scale lol) and will be converted into a 4-8-2 cab forward with a 0-8-0 chassis awaiting a ideal destiny

another mantua 2-6-6-2 chassis missing the main weight system and motor and other key parts is on hold with a modified hudson boiler to go on it, to give it a semi chunky NYC mallet look to it

a bachmann reading boiler undergoing diagnostics with brass machinery and domes put aside as the plastic embedded piping is being peeled off, this loco is being prepped to reincarnate G&D #34

and more and more lol, I'm a steam loco junkie

basicly I model a poly-design layout that is always deconstucting and reconstructing itself(is uses Power-loc track and modified power-loc track) which is always a christmas display at rockwell pavilion in Bristol CT during a week in December(which is currently in development stage(I want to do something different each year))

Lets say my parents spoiled me with too much train stuff, BUT the upside is I got alot of hands on learning experience with model railroading alone, I scored extremely high on the ASVAB(I even fell asleep for part of the test lol) and all the armed services were trying to get my attention and I've recently signed on for the Air Force, because they can give me the most for my needs in life

You could say I lead a huge life, my modeling life is an escape from the real world where everybody likes to talk to me(girls are fun :P) but being  popular isn't what its all cut out to be..... But the key thing is I'm a good-natured person and that's all that counts :D

SteamGene

Obviously the ASVAB no longer has questions on grammar, mechanics, or plausibility.   What 300 G&D cars do you own?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen D. Richards

Gene, you're correct in your assumption about the ASVAB!  Just fill in the blanks, fill in the little circles, etc!

ryeguyisme,  Congrats on the high ASVAB score!  I am in the Air Force and have been for over 26 years!  The ASVAB scores for the Air Force generally run higher for AFSC's than do the Army.  My compliments to you.  However, Gene is quite correct, you will write far more in the Air Force than you do now and  peoples careers and lives may depend on how and what you write!  You may not understand it now but in four or five years, you will! 

"? deconstruct?"

Stephen

SteamGene

Stephen, I was army for 27 years, and you are absolutely correct.  Once you become an NCO your ability to write clearly and correctly is very, very important.  I remember the difficulty I had as a battery commander when the NCO effiency reports first started.  I had to deal with correcting "Sergeant Bilko does good work," a lot.  But they got better.   :D
There's no better example of poor commuication in the miliitary than the charge of the Light Brigade!  >:(
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen D. Richards

Gene,  Amen!                  Stephen