Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

what road names do you model

Started by ap0317ah, May 26, 2007, 02:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginian

"What could have happened... did."

Beatle (TrainBrain)

East and West United States, with Chicago as the central points in 3 different eras:

1930's-50's
PRR, NYC, B&O, C&O, N&W, UP, GN, CB&Q, AT&SF

1960's-80's
Penn Central, Chessie System, Conrail, Amtrak, N&W, UP, AT&SF, BN

1990's-2000's
CSX, NS, UP, BNSF, Amtrak

Those are the main RR's of every era, but (of course) there will be, for example, Conrail locos in the 90's-00's era and PRR/NYC/B&O/C&O locos during the 60's-80's era.

The best part is: construction hasn't begun yet! ;) :D ;D ::) :P

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

r.cprmier

Hey Rye guy;
I found that pilot.  If you don't want it, it is going south...  Let me lknw.
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Frankford el car

I freelance a medium-to-big city transit system, leaning heavily on the Philadelphia Transportattion Co. (PTC), for trolley, and trackless trolley operations, and the Interborough Rapid Transit (IRT), for the subway-elevated line. It's an inner city layout, set between 1960, and 1980.
Chief Superintendent,

Independent Transit Co. (INT Lines)

"Have your transfer ready, for the next stop."

ryeguyisme

Quote from: SteamGene on August 30, 2007, 08:53:14 AM
Obviously the ASVAB no longer has questions on grammar, mechanics, or plausibility.   What 300 G&D cars do you own?
Gene

they're all MDC roundhouse Replications, I have every model made with extras, but i plan on using most of them

ryeguyisme

Quote from: r.cprmier on August 30, 2007, 06:12:39 PM
Hey Rye guy;
I found that pilot.  If you don't want it, it is going south...  Let me lknw.
Rich

rich I sent you an email

ryeguyisme

thanks, all on the the fact I'm Joining up for the Air Force, as it is something thats is going to change my life a great deal(this I know) I ship out in January for basic

SteamGene

So how many of the youngsters here are joining the Air Force in the near future?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Guilford Guy

Not I. I'm signing on with MBCR Guilford or NS when I finish college. I also hope to own and operate a shrotline or regional.
Alex

r.cprmier

Ryan;
I will probably put it in an envelope and either drop it off, or mail it.
So you are going in the Air Force, and off to Lackland in January.  At least you won't have the same matchboxes for barracks that were there when I got there.  So, what are you going to do in the Air Force?
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

robman

Interesting topic. Having just got back into RRing I am having a bit of a worry over a suitable road name. My loco roster so far is;
1x 2-6-6-2  Bachmann artic
1x 2-6-6-2  Mantua artic with tender
1x  4-8-4     Bachmann Niagra
2x  small   0-6-0  swithers of unknown origin
About sixty pieces of rolling stock, 1930's to mid 50's,(Roundhouse & Athearn) with a good number of coal hoppers,box cars, flats etc. The road name that I have arrived at is "Pacific Southern" and I hope this will put me in the right geographical location for a coal and timber RR. If I'm completely off the tracks here, give me some pointers.  Cheers KiwiRob. 
Modeling over there over here

SteamGene

I'd go Atlantic Southern or Gulf Southern.   Try a road going from the coal and timber fields of West Virginia and Kentucky to New Orleans or Charleston, SC. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Isambard

The Grizzly Northern Railway (GNRy) is a fictional 1930's/1940's era CPR subsidiary that runs through the Rockies, Selkirks and Monashees,  between Rocky Mountain House in Alberta and Kamloops in British Columbia.
Current motive power (CPR and GNRy road names): an 0-8-0, four 2-8-0's four 2-10-0's, a 2-10-2, a 2-6-6-2, a three-truck Shay and a gas electric "Doodle Bear", all Spectrum except the 0-8-0 Proto.
In the real world the Grizzly Northern runs on the flatlands of the local club .
You'll find photos on www.wimrc.ca and ModelRailroadPhotos.com (Isambard).
:)

Ozzie

Not living in the USA and having the vast experience of having visited Miliwaukee exactly once on business I decided to change from German models to US.
I chose BN because I liked the Green & Black F units.
I then back dated to merger priod so I could collect all the member colour schemes. It was prototypical according to the BN journal I bought, but boy did it look toy like.
So I back dated to CB&Q the only decals I could get locally.

Now I have standardised on the Bachmann 4-6-0 as my stock Loco and regardless of if it is prototypical or not they all have CB&Q insignia.
BUT, they run great, look just as good and I am as happy as a kitten with a ball of string.
So, I guess the answer is in my case CB&Q but it does not matter.
Chose something, decal them all the same so they look consistant and have fun.

lanny

I model the Illinois Central RR during the 1940s ... and stretch it into the very late 1950s so that a few black, 'green diamond' diesels are not out of place running with ICRR steam. I also have an imaginary 'connection' with the 'Fort Dodge, Des Moines, & Southern RR' shortline.

Rye Guy, regarding your post showing my partially finished ICRR #908 2-8-0, here is the finished model. The prototype photo you posted from Steam Town is indeed an ICRR 2-8-0 but I think it is a #700 series ICRR Connie ... they had smaller drivers, were smaller locomotives and had some significant differences from the #900 series that I am modeling (Best wishes on your air force career.)

(photo below)

ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler