News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large quantities of screws

Started by ebtbob, August 20, 2010, 03:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Good afternoon all,

I know,  several years ago,  this topic was discussed.   I am looking for a source to by screws such as 1-72 and 2-56 in varying lengths.   I cannot afford to continue to by the Kadee offerings of 48 pcs for $4.00.
I want to buy in large quantities such as 100-200 pieces.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

pipefitter

Thanks hminky, I've been looking for a source of these too.

:) Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Jimbo

Quote from: hminky on August 20, 2010, 03:35:18 PM
http://www.smallparts.com/

http://www.microfasteners.com/index.cfm

I agree with hminky with Microfasteners. Excellent service with email orders, got my last two orders delivered within two days! They supplied a free catalogue with my order but their website catalogue is also very detailed.

hminky

Checkout the other stuff like hypodermic tubing and stuff at Smallparts. Great stuff, beats the hobby rip-off.

Harold

BradKT

Once you know the exact size screw you are looking for, you can also order them from Amazon.  Price and quantities are variable, but seem to be decent.  I had good experiences doing this and was able to stock up on a variety of sizes and quantities that I use all the time and have plenty of spares on hand. 

You just need to know the exact screw size you are looking for in advance.

A company like Accurail also sells a package of 100 screws, which is great for spares if that is the right size that you are looking for.  You can check their site for more info.

I keep them in one of those cases made by Stanley that contains a variety of small boxes and is contained in a carrying case with a handle and it works out great.  I have 2 or 3 of these cases containing all of my spare screws, nuts and small RR-related parts, such as couplers, etc.

hminky

Amazon directs you to Small Parts generally

Harold

jsmvmd

Howdy,

For the heat shrink tubing can you get the larger stuff and use it on the smaller gauge, or do you need to match it ?  Thanks !

Jack

ebtbob

Good Afternoon All,

Thankyou for all the good contact info.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

mf5117

Doneldon

jsmvmd-

You don't exactly have to match heat-shrink tubing to the wires it protects but you have to be somewhat close.  The tubing shrinks by about a third to a half so you'll want to use something just a little larger than the wire.  Otherwise, it will be a sloppy fit and might well slide right off of the area you are trying to insulate.
                                                                                                                                            -- D