Looking for Walthers SP passenger cars

Started by BradKT, August 21, 2010, 12:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

Does anyone know of a good hobby shop that might carry Southern Pacific passenger cars made by Walthers (other than the "Daylight" paint scheme)?  I am looking for both the "Budd" streamlined passenger cars  and the heavyweight two tone grey cars.  Walthers is out of most of them.  I checked E-bay with little luck and Amazon was no good either.

ABC

Are you talking about the Lark Scheme? If so one of my LHS had some as of the 9th. I was actually looking into buying some, but decided against it because they were too expensive. I think it actually comes out slightly more expensive than Walthers.
They had 2 RPOs, 1 Baggage Express, 1 10-1-2 Sleeper, 1 28-1 Parlor, and 1 Solarium Observation. They were selling them only as a 6 car set for $275+6.75%tax. Shipping would be actual cost plus a handling fee of 10% of the total order. So the total cost would be about $330 if you live in the continental U.S.

Doneldon

Brad-

Try the various online stores; you may get lucky.  Also, watch ebay.  Brass Lark rolling stock shows up quite often.  Most seems to be from Soho or Lambert but the prices (painted) are about the same as the Walthers plastic cars.

The shipping cited by ABC is outrageous.  Cost is certainly okay but the 10% surcharge is nuts.  The shop will likey use a free box from the USPS and crumpled newspapers from last weekend.  The price is even ridiculous if it includes all new packing matrials.  I wouldn'y buy there just on general principles.
                                                                                                                                                -- D

ABC

Quote from: Doneldon on August 21, 2010, 02:37:08 AMThe shipping cited by ABC is outrageous.  Cost is certainly okay but the 10% surcharge is nuts.  The shop will likely use a free box from the USPS and crumpled newspapers from last weekend.  The price is even ridiculous if it includes all new packing materials.  I wouldn'y buy there just on general principles.
$275*1.0675Tax=$293.56 Shipping is VIA UPS 3 Day Select (1-3 days) with insurance, delivery confirmation and tracking. $293.56*1.1=$322.92. I forgot that they will give you 10% off if your purchase exceeds $300. So if you buy something for about $8, then you essentially get free shipping and the total would be $283*1.0675=$302.10*.90(10%off)=$271.89*1.1=299.08. So the key is a $300 purchase. UPS 3 Day select runs from about $10 to $40 depending on where it has to be shipped, the closer to Ohio, the cheaper it is...

BradKT

ABC: Yes, I am referring to the two-tone grey paint scheme.  I believe that it is called the "Lark" scheme.  I have found a site called Train World in New York and I ordered 5 cars (baggage car, 2 coaches, the observation car and 46 seat diner), but now I am waiting to see if what they have listed is actually in stock.  It was all listed as being on hand, but we'll see. 

I did tell them to let me know via e-mail if they were going to have to backorder anything  (especially the observation car) and if they couldn't fill most of the order, I was going to cancel it.  The price of $34.99 each for the 5 heavyweight cars wasn't too bad.  I did find a couple of other shops where I could get certain cars (other than the ones that I ordered) for $14.99 to $19.99 and I am going to snap them up.

I still can't find the RPO, though.

Doneldon

Brad-

You did well to find those cars at that price -- and at an excellent online store, too.  At least I've always had good luck with them.  They won't beat you up on the shipping and handling (i.e., cost plus $17.50!!!).

And, yes, the SP gray on gray paint scheme is the Lark pattern.
                                                                                             -- D

BradKT

Doneldon:

Glad to hear something good from you about Train World and that you have patronized them before.  This is my first time trying them, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.  They have a HUGE listed stock of Walthers passenger cars in all RR names and both the streamlined cars and smooth side pullman cars list for an average price of $27.99 each.

ABC

As a side note, all members of the local club get a discount of 20% on all purchases in addition to the extra 10% on purchases of $300 or more, I just happen to be a member. I could get the set for $205 (includes sales tax) and could probably ship them for less than $10, for a grand total of $210-$215. But I would have to check to see if they still have them. Hopefully the online store will have most of what you ordered in stock.

BradKT

ABC:  That's good ro know...I'll keep you posted on whether I am successful or not with Train World.

Thanks.

BradKT

Train World called me today.  They had everything that I ordered except for the baggage car, so I told them to backorder that one and send me the rest.

I was also able to get the parlor car from a place called Model Train Stuff (whom I have patronized with good results several times before) for $19.99.

I think that this turned out well.  I'm still looking for the RPO though.  Since the RPO isn't even listed as being unavailable by Walthers (or from any other vendor that I have checked), I'm beginning to wonder if they even have an RPO for the SP Lark Heavyweights.