News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:20.3 rolling stock couplers

Started by Matthew (OV), May 26, 2007, 07:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew (OV)

In anticipation of quite a few of the new 1:20.3 hoppers on the SCRY (the captain of the car float tells me maybe as soon as next week?) I'm wondering ... has anyone tried running these "as is" (presumably with the "scale height" couplers) with AMS and/or Kadee coupler equipped rolling stock? 

If so, how well does it work?  I'm trying to determine if I'm going to need to convert them or if they'll be OK as-is.

Matthew (OV)

P

Kevin Strong

I know they'll work with the Kadee "G" scale couplers without issue. I believe they couple to the AMS couplers, though I'm not sure if they close automatically or not. You should be okay.

Later,

K

Matthew (OV)

Good news indeed.  I will report on mine, of course, however since that's still some time away, if anyone has any more data on how well they've worked with the AMS stock couplers, and how they match up, I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks Kevin for the Kadee data; I do still have some pieces equipped with those.

Matthew (OV)

Jon D. Miller

Here is a picture of Bachmann/AMS box cars coupled.

I used this picture, along with a selection of others for a review when the Bachmann cars first became available.  The review was published by LSOL.

I should also note that the AMS car's couplers did not exactly match up with a Kadee height gauge.  The AMS car's couplers were slightly higher.

The Bachmann/AMS cars coupled without a problem and the amount of misalignment did not effect operation.

This picture shows the alignment of the body mount Bachmann coupler with the Kadee gauge. Good height alignment.

Compare the first photograph with this one.  Since the AMS coupler sets higher when coupled to the Bachmann then it will also be over height when checked with the Kadee gauge.  The AMS couplers can be brought into correct alignment with Kadee by shimming the coupler box.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Matthew (OV)

JD,

Thanks ... looks like if I tune my AMS stuff while I'm decalling it, it'll all work well.

Matthew (OV)