News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

UP Kathy and "dummies"

Started by wwidup, August 27, 2010, 12:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwidup

My 9 yr old son has recently become obsessed with the UP Katy and would like one for his upcoming birthday.  Bachmann's Williams has one but it is not in the HO line.  When I search for UP Katy HO, I get pages of trains.  Is there a HO Scale Katy out there?  Also are there trains call "dummies" that you can purchase but they have no innards in them? 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jonathan

wwidup,

The Missouri-Kansas-Texas Union Railroad (MKT) was also known as "The KATY" before becoming part of the Union Pacific Railroad.  You probably know that already.  I had to look it up.

I don't see any locomotives currently available in that paint scheme.  Recently, Mike's Train House (MTH) made a large diesel marked for "The Katy".  Stewart Hobbies made some smaller diesels painted in a similar fashion.  They are not making them now, but perhaps ebay...?

Dummy locomotives are not made anymore.

Hopefully, someone will bring you better news than me.

Good luck, and congratulations on having a railroad fan in the family!

Regards,

Jonathan

ABC

I also searched and found that a Katy diesel locomotive would cost you at least $250 if purchased through ebay. They have a MP15AC (Athearn), a F7AB set (Athearn) and a SD70Ace (MTH). The prices are $140, $90, & $265 respectively including shipping charges. Microscale has decals for $7.
As far as Bachmann locos go they do not make anything for the MKT/the Katy and they do not currently make any nonpowered "dummy" locos.

RAM

I am sure what he was wanting is up katy heritage unit.  The first one listed was right at $168. delieved