Norfolk & Western Class J 4-8-4 Limited Edition Repair Question

Started by mydartswinger, August 25, 2010, 10:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mydartswinger

Good evening all,
I just picked up a used Norfolk & Western Class J 4-8-4 Limited Edition (Item # 51-0658-A4).  It's a beautiful little locomotive, but I'm having some issues with it.

I managed to fix the light (wouldn't come on) and to devise a new method of connecting the tender to the locomotive (the plastic rod from the factory was snapped and I don't have the piece that connects to the locomotive).  However, I can't get it to run.

The motor will spin when not contacting the drive gears, and the locomotive will move under it's own power for about 1/4" in each direction before stopping.  From what I can see, the traction rods (not sure what they're actually called, but if that's not what they're called, it's the rods connecting the wheels together) are locking it up.  It's seems to be coming from the front, where the rods slide in and out of the cylinder on one side.  I really don't want to disconnect the rods because that's one of the things I like most about steam locomotives.  I can't see the hole in the cylinder that the rod's supposed to slide in, and it's giving me a bit of a fit trying to loosen them up and get the rod back in the cylinder.  I had the rods back together once, but they were still locking up due to the rod in the cylinder.

Anyone have any suggestions, or is it just a matter of fiddling with it until I can get it right?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Shannon

mydartswinger

I found the cylinder piece for sale here on the Bachmann online store.  However, I've run into a new issue.  While removing the old cylinder piece, the wires came off of the weight.  I made an attempt at stripping them back and screwing them back in place, but it doesn't want to even light up except for on occasion while I'm moving the train by hand (seems to be a certain way it's shifted, but it doesn't do it the same way every time).

Does anyone know where I can find a manual for this train so maybe I can refer to it for a bit of aid?  In the mean time, can anyone help me figure out which way the wires are supposed to go so maybe I can get it to at least run without the bars until I can get the new cylinder piece?

Thanks,
Shannon

skipgear

The parts you found are for the new Spectrum version of the J and will not work with your loco. The old one is long gone and no parts are available, short of buying a donor engine.

The new Spectrum J is light years beyond that version of the loco in both detailing and running qualities.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950