News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Your dream loco for Bachmann to produce

Started by J.A.M., August 31, 2010, 04:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

I think the most ask for locomotives on this site has been the Baldwin 4-4-0 and a heisler. the fact that neither has been made is probably due to  not being able to get the 4-4-0 to take 18" curves and the geared engine problem for the Heisler.

Royce

Kevin Strong

Quote from: Royce Wilson on September 02, 2010, 02:21:59 PMthe fact that neither has been made is probably due to  not being able to get the 4-4-0 to take 18" curves and the geared engine problem for the Heisler.
I'm not sure I understand your argument. Bachmann already makes a 4-4-0 in On30. (For that matter, the Forneys, which are essentially 4-4-0s with the boiler on backwards.) I'm not in On30, so I don't know if they can take an 18" radius or not. If they can, then why would there be an expectation that any other 4-4-0 would not; if they can't, why the expectation that another one should?

As for the Heisler, I'm not sure what you mean by "geared engine problem." Mechanically, I can't imagine it any more difficult to power a Heisler than the Shay they already produce. I know I've seen other On3 Shays, Heislers, and Climaxes sitting on the store shelves. Rivarossi made an HO scale Heisler. It's definitley been shown possible in terms of drive.

I'll add my votes for the Heisler and a 2-6-2, inside and/or outside frame. The thing I like about On30 (despite not modeling in it for time/space reasons) is its inherently "freelance" feel. For that reason, I'm just as happy to see manufacturers pick more generic prototypes than any one specific iconic locomotive (unless they can do so and make it easily regaugable to please the On3 crowd).

Later,

K

Royce Wilson

Kevin, the Baldwin 4-4-0 that I made mention  is the 8-18-C. It was more of a catalog locomotive that was used by just about every American narrow gauge .

Royce

Kevin Strong

Yes. It's the one Bachmann produces in 1:20.3. That version begrudgingly fits around a 30" radius, and from what I've read, the On30 Bachmann 4-4-0 has been tested on radii as tight as 12"(!) An 18" radius is every bit a reasonable expectation for an On30 version of a Baldwin 8-18-C, so I don't see that as being a reason for it not being produced as you suggest.

I heartedly agree, I think a model of that in On30 would have had more of a general application in terms of a reflection of what many narrow gauge railroads used than the Brazilian (?) prototype they chose. On the other hand, they had the drawings in house from their 1:20.3 version of the 8-18-C, and they still opted to go with something different. There had to be a reason for that--what it was, who knows? I'd love to see an 8-18-C in On30 because they could do the same thing with that in terms of making it a 2-6-0 (and for that matter, a 2-8-0) using the same boiler, cab, and tender.

Later,

K

NarrowMinded

I still want the 0-4-0 side tank loco like the large scale version they produce and with sound.
Or Maybe even the 2-4-2 lyn euro and American style

NM

ebtbob

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Kevin Strong

Mike_AA9ZY

Heck, I would just be content if they made ore loads for their v-dump ore cars!

steinked

Hi Mike,

if you don'twant to scratch loads, have a look at the homepage of FireboxModels:

http://fireboxmodels.com/fbmHTML/htmlintro.html

They offer loads for B'mann v-dump, wood siede dump and gondolas.

Regards Dieter
Manns Creek Railway - Mining and Logging

Mike_AA9ZY

Thanks Dieter! That is exactly what I was looking for.

lvrr325

Quote from: Kevin Strong on September 02, 2010, 06:19:56 PM
Quote from: Royce Wilson on September 02, 2010, 02:21:59 PMthe fact that neither has been made is probably due to  not being able to get the 4-4-0 to take 18" curves and the geared engine problem for the Heisler.
I'm not sure I understand your argument. Bachmann already makes a 4-4-0 in On30. (For that matter, the Forneys, which are essentially 4-4-0s with the boiler on backwards.) I'm not in On30, so I don't know if they can take an 18" radius or not. If they can, then why would there be an expectation that any other 4-4-0 would not; if they can't, why the expectation that another one should?

As for the Heisler, I'm not sure what you mean by "geared engine problem." Mechanically, I can't imagine it any more difficult to power a Heisler than the Shay they already produce. I know I've seen other On3 Shays, Heislers, and Climaxes sitting on the store shelves. Rivarossi made an HO scale Heisler. It's definitley been shown possible in terms of drive.

Later,

K

In fact there have both been the tiny inside frame 4-4-0 and the larger outside frame 4-4-0 (which was primarily an export locomotive IIRC) and both handle 18" no problem, so why another one wouldn't, who knows.

But the gear issue is with regard to the gears cracking in the Climax and Shay locomotives, also the rail truck.  Sure they can make a Heisler, but can they make one that won't be out of service in need of replacement gears in 6 or 12 months?  (FWIW, they're not the first to have this problem - most Athearn HO USRA 0-6-0s from the early 60s don't run today because of a cracked main gear). 

ebtnut

Hey, lvrr, you must be about as old as I am to remember those Athearn USRA 0-6-0's.  I had one of them and also the Little Monster 0-4-2T.

MarK T

I'd love to see Bachmann bring over the GE 44 ton and 70 ton diesels from their HO line.

ebtbob

I will second MarK T's wishes for the 44 and 70 tonners.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

hminky

Quote from: Kevin Strong on September 02, 2010, 08:26:50 PM
Yes. It's the one Bachmann produces in 1:20.3. That version begrudgingly fits around a 30" radius, and from what I've read, the On30 Bachmann 4-4-0 has been tested on radii as tight as 12"(!) An 18" radius is every bit a reasonable expectation for an On30 version of a Baldwin 8-18-C, so I don't see that as being a reason for it not being produced as you suggest.

Later,

K

An accurate 8-18-C wouldn't go around an 18" radius. An HO Mantua 4-6-0 set up as a 4-4-0 will begrudingly make 18" and it is smaller than the 8-18-C.

The Mantua conversion in 55n3 which is 7/8 of O scale.

The Bachmann 4-4-0's get away with it because of design. The small 4-4-0 has 18" pilot wheels and the cylinders spread from it's two foot prototype. The OF has the cylinder's spread because it is outside frame and the pilot wheelbase is longer than the prototype.

Harold