Converting Bachmann engines On30 to 36" gauge

Started by NevinW, August 31, 2010, 11:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

I am starting to serious consider converting my HO railroad to O scale.  One decision I haven't made yet is whether to stick with On30 or go to On3.  I understand that a number of On30 engines are easily modified to On3.  Which ones?  I bought a Bachmann 2-8-0  to play with and study.  What a nice engine.  How difficult is it to convert to On3?  Are there any that are not easy to modify?   Any thoughts about which one to go with?  Now that there is good flex track and well designed turnouts for both it does make it a more intriguing question.  -  Nevin

hminky

You can always go 55n3, most of the Bachmann On30 locos scale or can be converted to 55n3 except for the "Tweetsie" Ten-wheeler. The HO gauge track is THREE foot track in Scale55 no conversion necessary.

The OF 2-8-0 is already 55n3.

http://www.55n3.org/of_280/

What is 55n3:

http://www.55n3.org/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

NevinW

What is it about the 4-6-0 that makes it unsuitable for 55n3? 

hminky

Quote from: NevinW on August 31, 2010, 12:53:43 PM
What is it about the 4-6-0 that makes it unsuitable for 55n3? 

The other Bachmann locos are small three foot, the Mogul, or small 30 inch prototypes. The Ten-wheeler is already a very large late era narrow gauge locomotive and doesn't scale down to 55n3.

The Mogul doesn't scale well to 55n3 as a 2-6-0 but it can be re-framed to make a late 2-8-0 similar to the Southern Pacific late and the C&S #74.

I don't know about the On30 shay or the climax but Dallas Mallerich of Boulder Valley has a suitable conversion of the HO shay to 55n3:

Harold.

C.S.R.R. Manager

Hi Nevin, good question.  In general, I think the outside framed locos are going to be much harder to regauge than the inside framed.  The 2-8-0 is a good example of an outside-framed loco, where the frame would have to be widened somewhat to allow the distance between the wheels to be increased.  On the other hand, the Mogul is potentially easier, and I think that Grandt Line actually made some sort of kit to allow for this, but I can't find any mention of it on their website.  But in either case, I would think that new axles would be necessary, which would require major disassembly.

I think it depends on your skill level, and definition of the word "easy," when pondering modifying On30 locos to On3.  For me, it would be a challenge, and I had to consider whether the time and expense needed to convert everything to On3 would be worth the detail of having the rails an extra 3/32" apart.  Personally, I would rather spend that time on weathering and structures and scenery.  But I do appreciate the exacting work that the On3 guys do.

manager

hminky

The question of converting it to On3 is, yes. The frame spacing is three foot in O scale. The drivers just have to be re-gauged and the tender and pilot wheels converted.

Inside frame On30 locomotives to On3 is difficult to get right. The drivers have to be re-mounted and re-quartered. Getting them square on the axle is the biggest problem. Grandt has axles and a frame spacer available.

The difference in gauge is noticeable between On30's 31 inches and real 36 inches. If you can't tell the difference you should take up knitting.

Harold

C.S.R.R. Manager

Actually, now that I've measured the underside of the loco, it looks like Harold's right, the 2-8-0 would be one of the easier locos to convert.  The area inside the frame is a bit wide for the existing On30 gauge, and should allow the drivers to be regauged without major surgery to the frame.  And the upside is that the extra long axles can still be used, so you don't have to fabricate new axles.  But you would have to completely disassemble the wheels and rods, in order to move the wheels along the axle.

So, is the conversion of a 2-8-0 to On3 be doable?  Probably.  Would it be easy?  That depends on your skill level, and how much time you have to invest.  Harold could make it work, but I would end up with a loco that doesn't run, because the wheels keep falling off.

When it comes to inside frame locos, the conversion process would require new axles, and the only kit that I can find is from Grandt Line.  I notice that they also have sideframes for the conversion of the BLI 2-8-0 to On3.  The Grandt On3 replacement axles might work for other On30 locos.

http://www.internettrains.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGYA&Store_Code=IT&Category_Code=OSCNARLOCGLM

And I've never actually tried knitting a locomotive.  Again, the wheels would probably keep falling off.   ;^)

manager

NevinW

The 55n3 idea is intriguing as it is almost exactly half was between S scale and O scale so you could probably adapt all sorts of items from both.  -  Nevin

ebtnut

To some extent it depends on how thick the driver hub is, but I've had success in the past by simply pulling the drivers out on the On30 axles a bit on each side to On3, then just applying some ACC to keep them in place.  You do need a good wheel puller, like NWSL's so as to make sure the driver stays square on the axle.  If you do decide to go the full route, Grandt Line does (or did) make a conversion kit for the Bachmann Mogul with new On3 axles and plastic frame insert to be glued to the old frame and give some detail while effectively widening the frame for On3.  One other thing that needs to be considered with inside frame locos is that many of the On30 locos have the cylinder block spaced for the narrower gauge.  You will likely have to widen it out, otherwise the main and side rods may foul.  I know this is true for the Mogul.  I think the Ten-Wheeler may be OK. 

hminky

Quote from: NevinW on September 01, 2010, 12:58:25 PM
The 55n3 idea is intriguing as it is almost exactly half was between S scale and O scale so you could probably adapt all sorts of items from both.  -  Nevin

I was surprised at the amount of over sized "HO" buildings that work shown with Scale55 figures:

Visit

http://www.55n3.org/structures/resources/

There is more available to use in Scale55 from other sources than available in any other inexpensive narrow gauge format. It also takes up a lot less space than O scale.

The farthest guy is O scale in front of him is our Scale55 man, the track is 55n3(HO gauge Model Power Code83) and PSC On3.

Thank you if you visit
Harold

lvrr325

Personally, for the expense, I just went with On30, O buildings since there's tons out there, and the usual 1/43-1/48-1/50 vehicle assortments since again, there are tons out there. 

I'm setting up the layout so I can swap out the structures and things and run the HO trains if I want, rather than sell off some 25 years of collecting them. 

mabloodhound

I like Harold's "new" 55 scale and if I didn't have so much invested in 1:48 O scale I would do this also.
However, don't look for Model Power Code 83 track unless Harold is selling his; they don't make it anymore.   So you'll probably have to go with Atlas 83 or something similar.
And there's no major re-gauging work to go to 55.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

hminky

The Atlas HO is the same dimensions as the Model Power. I just used the MP because it was out. When I did those photos it was still available. Roco still makes the flextrack but MP just doesn't stock the track.

Our Bachmann On30 to 55n3 boxcar on HO Atlas track.

Harold

Edit: Thanks for the support Dave