News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams santa fe caboose

Started by bluerose lady, September 05, 2010, 01:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerose lady

Hi everyone...
does anyone  know where i can find a williams santa fe caboose ?   I been checking williams dealers and Ebay for while and much to my suprise, nobody has it.   I would like to add this caboose to my santa fe sd-45 which i purchased last week.  can you help ?

the woman who loves toy trains
Tiffany

phillyreading

Tiffany,

Have you tried Marty at Ma & Pa Junction in Maryland? www.ma&pajunction.com
He might have one.
I have not seen a new Santa Fe caboose in the Williams by Bachmann line-up.

Lee F.

bluerose lady

Hello Phillyreading.....

yes, thats too bad as theres few santa fe diesels and steamers in the williams line.  i just will have to look in the MTH railking line and see what they have LOL.

Tiffany

phillyreading

Tiffany,

A little advice about lighted cabooses, I have a Lionel lighted caboose that shorted out at the center rail pick-up on the wheel assembly.
MTH might be better to go with than the Lion as MTH don't break down on me.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear Tiffany and all,

The Williams Cabeese are a reproduction of the post-war (1946 - 1969) Lionel N5C "porthole" models. 

From http://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionelcarcab.htm

"The Lionel N5C Porthole Type Caboose .. began to be available in 1953.  It is based upon a prototype that was used by the Pennsylvania Railroad. Lionel would produce this caboose with the Lionel Lines, Lehigh Valley and Virginian road names applied to this caboose, even though the Pennsylvania Railroad was the only prototype railroad that used this style of caboose."

(My emphasis added.)

I have a five Old Williams catalogs, 2003 through 2005.

The Santa Fe (ATSF) caboose (#CAB122) appears in only in my earliest catalog, the Contemporary Line Winter 2003 - 2004, so it must have sold out.

It is red, with a yellow cupola, black roofs and yellow lettering.

Lee,

I had an MTH lighted caboose that shorted the track.

From an old B'Man board reply of mine:

..."The quality of MTH's Rail-King cabeese vary wildly.  I have an excellent Chessie bay window, and a poor NYC woodside, whose item numbers are only a few digits apart.

The shorting on my woodside was caused by the magnetic uncoupling "thumbtack" touching the center rail.   If the uncoupling pin does not re-seat perfectly (is off-center) after you uncouple, it holds the "tack head" down to the middle rail.  The shorting path is the center-rail, tack head, uncoupling lever, die-cast truck, wheels, and outside rails.  Ka-Zap."...

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Tiffany,

I found some Santa Fe caboose's at www.choochooauctions.com
your choice of Lionel or MTH. These may be used but in good condition mainly.

Joe,

My problem is with a Lionel caboose # 17605 that shorted out at the wheel assembly with the center rail roller.

Lee F.

bluerose lady

hello Phillyreading and Joe Satnik......

thank you for helping me out... I found the "rugged rails" center cab steel caboose made by MTH, stock # 33-7810 for almost 20 dollars.  I think it will look good with my williams SD-45, next are few (8) freight cars to go with it.

Tiffany

Joe Satnik

Tiff,

I really like Rugged Rails, especially the flat cars with sports car loads....great bang for your O-27 buck.   

May be sold out, though, and hard to find.   

Good hunting. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Try here:

http://www.krrbmodeltrains.com/rurarafrca.html

I'm pretty sure the rugged rail series item numbers start with "33-" ...

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

bluerose lady

hello Joe Satnik........

oh yes !!!!!! i will be trying to find some Rugged Rail frieght cars, just needed at least 8 cars as my small layout is only 43 inches by 93 inches LOL.   too bad MTH didnt make a Rugged Rails auto carrier car but liked the railking #30-7628 with 4 bright colored cars.  Mr. Satnik.. do you have a layout yourself ?

Tiffany

Joe Satnik

Dear Tiffany,

Well, not permanently set up.

I have  3 concentric O-31 (hi-rail tin plate track) ovals using 31", 42" and 54" diameter curves.

I have layout #39 in O-27 (low-rail tin plate track) from Linn Westcott's "Track Plans for Sectional Track", 2nd Edition (144 Track Plans), which is a double crossing  59" x 112" pretzel.

They get set up on the floor at Christmas, or on a whim, which ends up being a "second" Christmas, with kids taking cars out of their window boxes.

Not much to inspire you, but if you want that, pick up a copy of "Classic Toy Trains" magazine......

They seem to get better every issue, with "affordable" layouts increasing.  (My budget can't handle acre-sized dream layouts..)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

GTBob

Quote from: Joe Satnik on September 09, 2010, 09:41:38 AM
Try here:

http://www.krrbmodeltrains.com/rurarafrca.html

I'm pretty sure the rugged rail series item numbers start with "33-" ...

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Joe---

Not to steal someones thread, but, checked above site looking for a Rock Island caboose (I've been looking for one for several months).  KRRB had exactly what I was looking for, so I bought it.  Just wanted to say thank you for posting the KRRB site. :)

Bob
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.

bluerose lady

Hello Mr. Joe Satnik..........

wow that's MORE than i have SMILE.   my layout is just a plain old oval with 3 track yard, using the lionel fastrack o-36, 3 manual switches that's it.   i sure would like to put at least 10 plasticville buildings on it but i am on tight fixed income.   i have 2 williams engines sd-45 and 2-8-4 berkshire and williams 4 car semi-scale 60 foot madsions and one williams boxcar and rugged rails MTH caboose on the way.   what kind of engines you have ?

Tiffany

Joe Satnik

Dear GTBob and Tiffany,

Sorry about the delay responding.

Bob,

You're welcome.  Glad it helped.  

Sometimes even a blind bat can hit a home run.

Tiff,

My main engines are a Williams Chessie GP-38 (ca. 2003), a Lionel 2046 steam (ca. early 1950's),  and a Lionel 217 B&M Alco AB pair (1959).

You might enjoy this website:

http://www.postwarlionel.com/

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: grammar

bluerose lady

Hello Mr. Joe Satnik.......

I remember that i had # 2383 F-3 frieght set in 1968, the price was 83 dollars at Dooley's harware store in long beach ca. when  i was little girl,  I ran the wheels off of this engine LOL.

Tiffany