Main Menu

Bachmann Thomas for 2011 ideas

Started by thomasrosiefan1, September 05, 2010, 05:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectPercy

Quote from: BillingsRR on January 05, 2011, 08:21:19 PM
Quote from: PerfectPercy on January 05, 2011, 08:09:30 PM
Quote from: Anthony P2 on January 05, 2011, 06:19:26 PM
yes we know Emily should be made. don't get me wrong but she has the same chance as, lets say Edward for example. and you say if bachmann ever made Gordon or Henry, they would be close to $600, because they're big tender engines. guess who else is a big tender engine, Emily.  so that means she would also be close to $600. and if you want one really bad why don't you make one?

$100 difference is not that great if you think about it. Either way they will be pretty expensive. I'm glad I model in HO. ;) I put my money (bets anyone?) on Toby, Diesel, or Mavis.

I honestly think Toby has a great chance of being an LS model. He wouldn't be as expensive as James. I don't know who would even buy James. Does anyone plan on spending several hundreds of dollars (or whatever currency you use) on him? I'm not trying to talk badly about LS James, but I figure that the price is just so high for... well, a toy.

If you get down to the basics, the Thomas range by Bachmann is really meant to be a range of toys. They are great all the same, as any toy has the ability to be, but the prices are getting steep in some areas.

Cheers,

PerfectP

I believe you are wrong. At Longwood Gardens Thomas and Percy, and when he comes out James, run 8 and 12 hour days. They are not toys there, they are there to entertain the young kids when they visit the Garden Railroad. They are there to get the job done. Longwood has 6 Thomases and 2 Percys. If one Thomas goes out, a new one is put on the rails and they old one is repaired. Longwood isn't the only place Thomas runs long days. He was the the NY Botanical Gardens and the Big Tree thing down in D.C. James was introduced because he is one of the main 3 engines, and has been for decades. I understand James is expensive, but if you look at the Big Haulers, they are expensive as well. And a parent with a child who likes trains will pick James over the Big Hauler because he is on Thomas & Friends.

So how are they not toys? ::) I said they were great. They are good at what they do - run down the rails and entertain.  ;) Your reasons for me being "wrong" aren't really relevant to whether or not the models are toys in general.

As for the Big Haulers and James:
A parent with a child will most likely buy a smaller and more affordable model, such as that of the HO Thomas and Friends range, than an LS model to begin with, unless they are LS fans or already run in Large Scale. Of course a child would want a Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends model over any other kind of engine. :)

- PerfectPercy

BillingsRR

@PerfectPercy

What i meant by the example of a parent buying James was they have a LS railway some where in their home/backyard. Not just starting. I agree most parents would buy a kid an HO model since they are cheaper.

It is true they are techniclly toys, but what i meant by that was they are not used as a toy. A wooden engine is more of a toy, an electric engine really isn't a children's toy, maybe a grown man's toy...................

-BRR

Anthony P2

Quote from: BillingsRR on January 05, 2011, 08:21:19 PM
Quote from: PerfectPercy on January 05, 2011, 08:09:30 PM
Quote from: Anthony P2 on January 05, 2011, 06:19:26 PM
yes we know Emily should be made. don't get me wrong but she has the same chance as, lets say Edward for example. and you say if bachmann ever made Gordon or Henry, they would be close to $600, because they're big tender engines. guess who else is a big tender engine, Emily.  so that means she would also be close to $600. and if you want one really bad why don't you make one?

$100 difference is not that great if you think about it. Either way they will be pretty expensive. I'm glad I model in HO. ;) I put my money (bets anyone?) on Toby, Diesel, or Mavis.

I honestly think Toby has a great chance of being an LS model. He wouldn't be as expensive as James. I don't know who would even buy James. Does anyone plan on spending several hundreds of dollars (or whatever currency you use) on him? I'm not trying to talk badly about LS James, but I figure that the price is just so high for... well, a toy.

If you get down to the basics, the Thomas range by Bachmann is really meant to be a range of toys. They are great all the same, as any toy has the ability to be, but the prices are getting steep in some areas.

Cheers,

PerfectP

I believe you are wrong. At Longwood Gardens Thomas and Percy, and when he comes out James, run 8 and 12 hour days. They are not toys there, they are there to entertain the young kids when they visit the Garden Railroad. They are there to get the job done. Longwood has 6 Thomases and 2 Percys. If one Thomas goes out, a new one is put on the rails and they old one is repaired. Longwood isn't the only place Thomas runs long days. He was the the NY Botanical Gardens and the Big Tree thing down in D.C. James was introduced because he is one of the main 3 engines, and has been for decades. I understand James is expensive, but if you look at the Big Haulers, they are expensive as well. And a parent with a child who likes trains will pick James over the Big Hauler because he is on Thomas & Friends.

I believe YOU are wrong. the thomas and friends line (large and HO) from bachmann are, in fact, considered toys. that's why they don't have as much detail as other regular HO models, so they don't break off. Large scale James is a nice model, don't get me wrong, but it cost too much for a toy.

BillingsRR

@Anthony P2

Well model trains are in a sense toys. What i was saying is they are not always used as toys.

branmas

BillingsRR

Quote from: thomas' #1 fan on January 05, 2011, 09:34:42 PM
PLEASE STOP FIGHTING! >:(

No one is fighting. we are having a conversation. Sure in a conversation there are disagreements, but no one is arguing, we are just talking like civilized people. This forum is a place where you can have a civilized conversation. NO one ever posted a comment that would start any type of fight, we are just having a conversation.
-BRR

Cheeky_ULP

I think we should wait til February and see what is announced.

ThomasFan247

Quote from: BillingsRR on January 05, 2011, 05:10:28 PM

Quote from: SodorAdventures on January 04, 2011, 08:31:31 PM
Quote from: BillingsRR on January 04, 2011, 07:31:10 PM

Quote from: ThomasFan247 on January 03, 2011, 09:57:15 PM
Quote from: BillingsRR on January 03, 2011, 06:37:50 PM
for 2011 in the Large Scale line i could see

Emily
Emily's coaches
a van of some sort
and a few more pieces of rolling stock

I dont see Edward, Gorden, and Henry. Maybe Edward, but not Gorden and Henry. James is about a $300 engine. Gordon and Henry are about twice his size, being $600 engines, maybe even more. So they are out of the question I belive. Edward is a better candidate because he would be a similar cost to James. Emily is on the list because many little girls are hopeing for Emily, as well as some grown men. The grown ups like the "style and detail to the engine". I think she would be next because the girls need a toy aswell. Trains aren't just for boys. I have an interesting story about a woman who's father didn't let her play with trains because he thought they were for boys and boys alone. "But thats another story"
Well, Gordon and Henry aren't a whole lot bigger. They're big, don't get me wrong, but $600 is a little bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of $400-$450. Maybe $500, but I doubt it.

I've been watching the LS line for a while, and Henry and Gordon will be around $600. If you look at similar LS engines, that is their cost. Lets see a 4-6-0 is about $375, and James is I think $350. OK James is a 2-6-0, one less wheel. Gorden is a 4-6-2(?) or a 2-6-2(?) and is also twice the size of James. Think of Gordon like the K-27. he would be around that size, same with Henry. And that is an expensive engine. Now Henry and Gordon won't have the battery stuff installed, but the sizes and wheel configurations are almost the same.

Maybe the PLASTIC they make the models out of is cheaper than a Detailed Large scale. But, maybe only 4 of Gordon's driving wheel instead of 6 or 8(how could I forget???) You know, because they WILL make gordon and henry at SOME POINT, and when they do they wont make above 450 to 500 AT THE MOST. See what I say?

There is no need to yell. :-\

If James, who is made of plastic, is $25 less than a METAL engine, what makes you think Henry and Gordon will be $450-$500 if James is only $25 cheaper. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Henry and Gordon will be around $600 if they are ever released. No one said B'mann must make any engine, they can cancel an announcement when every they would like. Thomas fans don't control the company. Edward, Emily, and Toby will most likely come before Henry and Gordon, if they are ever made. Emily is the best choice to be the next LS engine because the girls need a character. Lets not forget the parent activist group who was going to sue the show because there were no female main characters. That is how Emily was created. Therefore, so B'mann avoids the same problems, I think Emily is a good choice. The little girls I've seen at Longwood Gardens have asked the employees and volunteers multiple times "How come Emily is not here, but Percy is. Where is the girl train?" This means the girls are waiting for a LS Emily, opening the market to more people. I've also said before a few grown men would buy Emily because she has a beautiful model. It would be the only Stirling Single LS, G scale, or G gauge engine out in America. Again Emily is a good choice.
-BRR
James is actually $300, so there is a $75 difference. Gordon and Henry definitely will NOT be $600. Bachmann wouldn't put them into consideration if they knew they'd be that high (not saying Bachmann considered them. I'm not sure). No parent is going to want to pay $600 for an engine. At the very most, they would be $500, but I HIGHLY doubt that they would have a 2-6-0, a 4-6-0, and a 4-6-2 have $200 difference in pricing. Henry has 1 more wheel set than James, and Gordon has 2 more. There isn't a huge difference, and, you can even compare with the HO scale models, Gordon and Henry are NOT twice James' size. Maybe 1 1/3 times the size, but definitely not twice.

branmas

Quote from: BillingsRR on January 05, 2011, 09:59:21 PM

No one is fighting. we are having a conversation. Sure in a conversation there are disagreements, but no one is arguing, we are just talking like civilized people. This forum is a place where you can have a civilized conversation. NO one ever posted a comment that would start any type of fight, we are just having a conversation.
-BRR
oh, sorry. didn't know.

SodorAdventures

Quote from: BillingsRR on January 05, 2011, 09:59:21 PM

-BRR

Huh, your telling me...
Quote from: BillingsRR on January 05, 2011, 07:25:01 PM
Anthony P2

It is true Emily has a big tender, but the engine is not big. Her engine is about the same as James with a Larger tender. Edward or Toby may take her spot. Maybe Mavis if it is easier for B'mann to make. Rosie is also a popular female engine and may be made instead of Emily aswell.

Rosie will not be seen. As she hasn't even been released in HO scale. And plus, her pistons are difficult to model.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

fighter4luv

I wanna see the famous opening windmill!!! :P

SodorAdventures

Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

jettrainfan

The windmill from the classic intro for the thomas series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

branmas

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. that would be awesooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooome. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

WTierce1

In my opinion, all of the engines have just as much chance as the next of getting produced at some point.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad