Spectrum Mountain to a B&O T Class (with video!)

Started by jonathan, September 08, 2010, 05:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

For my fellow B&O enthusiasts:

I read a B&O Modeler article about making a B&O T Class loco from a Bachmann Heavy USRA Mountain.  It got me motivated for some reason.  Hoping to find an Undecorated Heavy Mountain at the next train show, imagine my surprise when I found two!  And let's just say they were a bargain.  I couldn't let them go.

I had to decide which 4-8-2 I was going to model.  I have nothing against the T-3 or T-4. Yardbird carries the shielded compressors for the front.  I didn't want to have to deal with the handrails.  Looks like you'd have to be pretty precise with bending.  Don't think I have the tools for that.  Therefore,  I went with the first two 4-8-2's delivered.

To modify the Spectrum, I need to move the headlight high on the smoke box, install a brass herald,  move the bell to the side of the headlight, add a tool box to the pilot... OK enough lists.  I'll just dive right in with the progress so far.

Smoke box

The parts on the first Mountain were pretty easy to remove, not so on the second.  Anyway, I really wanted a working headlight.  So I clipped the LED from the front of the frame, mounted a metal sleeve inside the original plastic headlight, inserted the LED and done.  Actually not that easy... had to drill through the smokebox to insert the LED stiff wire.

Once the wires are painted, it looks OK, but certainly a little unprototypical.  Well I wanted the light to work afterall.

Here's a kind of before-and-after shot of one loco modified and one not modified:

On both locos, the fireman side window glazing had fallen out.  Had to put 'em back:

Well, that's all the progress for now.  The brass parts should arrive tomorrow.  Then I'll install the pop valves, bells, tool box, etc.  Here's a few extra shots.  Will update as I make progress.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

Johnathon:  The icing on the cake would be if you could track down one of those Vandy tenders from the Rivarossi 2-10-2's. 

jonathan

Ah yes.  The tender problem...

I am working from front to back on this loco.  Hence, I'm putting off the biggest problem until later.

The author of the article, that inspired me, was forced to remove the PC board from the loco so he could use the Rivarossi tender.  What he didn't mention was that he also lost a working LED headlight and firebox glow.  I don't want to give up those features.

When I find a proper tender, I want to perform major surgery and put the electronics from the Bachmann tender into the vandy tender.  Apparently that is quite difficult.

My saving grace may be that B&O Mountains were delivered with regular tenders.  They were later switched out for Vandy's, if I understood the article correctly.  That's cheating a bit.  Ultimately my conscience will get the better of me, and I'll have to try some sort of switch.

I seem to remember a thread in which Yampa Bob stated he was able to fashion some sort of bridge on one of his locos, so he didn't have to remove the board from his loco, and still able to run without the tender pick ups.  I like that option.

Regards,

Jonathan

ABC

I have a Bachmann undecorated Vanderbuilt long tender and a Bachmann undecorated Hicken tender that I am not using. I could probably send them to you for $10 plus maybe $5 shipping. If you are interested let me know.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: jonathan on September 08, 2010, 01:19:27 PM
Ah yes.  The tender problem...

I am working from front to back on this loco.  Hence, I'm putting off the biggest problem until later.

The author of the article, that inspired me, was forced to remove the PC board from the loco so he could use the Rivarossi tender.  What he didn't mention was that he also lost a working LED headlight and firebox glow.  I don't want to give up those features.

When I find a proper tender, I want to perform major surgery and put the electronics from the Bachmann tender into the vandy tender.  Apparently that is quite difficult.

My saving grace may be that B&O Mountains were delivered with regular tenders.  They were later switched out for Vandy's, if I understood the article correctly.  That's cheating a bit.  Ultimately my conscience will get the better of me, and I'll have to try some sort of switch.

I seem to remember a thread in which Yampa Bob stated he was able to fashion some sort of bridge on one of his locos, so he didn't have to remove the board from his loco, and still able to run without the tender pick ups.  I like that option.

Regards,

Jonathan

If you can find a Bachmann Vandy then use it, it will allow you to keep the features you need and no electronic surgery will be needed.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jonathan

Doneldon

jonathan-

Moving the headlight made a huge difference, in my opinion.  It goes a long way towards the new look.

-- D

jonathan

Thanks, Doneldon!

Here are few more little tweaks:  second smokebox is complete (sans bell) with mu hoses and tool box.  I sure hope I kept the polarity right on the bulbs.  Not quite ready for a test run yet.

Regards,

Jonathan

One headlight may look higher than the other, but it's all in your mind... :)

ebtnut

FWIW, many years ago I put a Rivarossi Vandy tank behind my Westside (brass) Q-4b.  I replaced the plastic tender trucks with the big-flange wheels with brass ones.  This was back in the days of CTC-16, so in order to put a receiver in the tender, I cut out the cast in coal load, and drilled a hole in the front for the wires.  After getting the receiver in place and working, I took a piece of balsa wood and cut it fit in the coal bunker hole.  I carved the top, painted it black, and glued model coal to it (I actually crushed a piece of real coal with a hammer, but you get the idea).

jonathan

That loco must have been a real treasure.  I remember seeing CTC operations in those Keller production video layout tours.  I bow in your direction, sir.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

jonathan-

Dadsbrasstrains has two Spectrum mountains on ebay right now.

-- D

jonathan

Hopefully, two Mountains will be enough. ;D  I only have room for a 40-43 car train on my layout.  I'm hoping these two locos are heavy, and strong, enough to pull that size train.  I'm guessing they will be...

I took #5500 on a test run this morning.  After a minute or two, it was smooth and sure, as all my Spectrum's have been to date.  Before running her, I took off the contact plate to inspect the gears and axles... plenty of oil and grease as usual.  I neolubed the rods and valve gear.  Looks good and seems to be well lubed as a result.  

I've said before... I am very impressed with Bachmann and their locomotives; affordable and great runners.

She's a heavy beast (cast boiler).

About the headlight...

It's BLUE!  :o  Well THAT's a little different than what I'm use to.

Well, it's nice the light goes off in reverse (guess that's one benefit of LEDs).  And you know I put a back up light in the tender.

Working on getting some Vandy's at the moment.

Camera is down for now.  Once that' resolved, I should have two broken-in Mountains ready to pull a long consist.  Will try to get a video, although I'm not very good at it.

Regards,

Jonathan

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: jonathan on September 11, 2010, 06:38:33 AM
Hopefully, two Mountains will be enough. ;D  I only have room for a 40-43 car train on my layout.  I'm hoping these two locos are heavy, and strong, enough to pull that size train.  I'm guessing they will be...

I took #5500 on a test run this morning.  After a minute or two, it was smooth and sure, as all my Spectrum's have been to date.  Before running her, I took off the contact plate to inspect the gears and axles... plenty of oil and grease as usual.  I neolubed the rods and valve gear.  Looks good and seems to be well lubed as a result.  

I've said before... I am very impressed with Bachmann and their locomotives; affordable and great runners.

She's a heavy beast (cast boiler).

About the headlight...

It's BLUE!  :o  Well THAT's a little different than what I'm use to.

Well, it's nice the light goes off in reverse (guess that's one benefit of LEDs).  And you know I put a back up light in the tender.

Working on getting some Vandy's at the moment.

Camera is down for now.  Once that' resolved, I should have two broken-in Mountains ready to pull a long consist.  Will try to get a video, although I'm not very good at it.

Regards,

Jonathan

They will be able to pull that no problem.........
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jonathan