News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shays jerkiness on descents

Started by Whitty, September 12, 2010, 06:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitty

I am building an 0n30 layout incorporating a reasonably steep incline which my two Shays both climb comfortably with no slipping. However, when descending, each loco displays some jerkiness.  They are both DCC controlled using the NCE system.
Has anyone else experienced this and are there any solutions?
Rebuilding the incline is not an option I want to explore as it would result in a major redesign of my layout.

Royce Wilson

You do know that the prototype jerked as it desended a grade. makes operation intresting in real life.

Gloria ;D

NarrowMinded

You could try adding something to a car or two to rub the axle that would add some resistance so it has to pull the cars down the incline instead of them trying to push the loco.

NM

Steve Magee

Hi Whitty

The jerkiness on descent is well known, it is due to play in the Shay's drive system. The addition of a thrust washer should clear this.

For full description, probably best to join the On30 Conspiracy group on Yahoo groups and do a search. The procedure (IIRC) was detailed there.

Regards

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Australia

Whitty

Thanks Guys for the tips so far.  It's good to know that the real thing did this, it must have provided some 'fun' and perhaps trips to the dry-cleaners!
I'll try the suggestions too, or at least look into them.

Whitty

J.A.M.

Both our shay and climax do this, and when i use the sound, the synchronization is ruined until i turn the track power off.
Its SOO irritating  >:(