williams sd-45's, do you have one and how you like them ?

Started by bluerose lady, October 04, 2010, 07:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerose lady

Hello Guys, Gals.....

Does anyone have williams sd-45's and how do you like them ? .  I have one williams sd-45's made in 2007 (pre-bachmann) and i LOVE the engine it is far better made and runner than my MPC lionel FM's and 140 dollars cheaper too.

the woman who loves toy trains
Tiffany

cpkoltz2002

All of my Williams-WBB units are good pullers,but my Crown Edition Great Northern SD45's have a tempermental dummy unit.It will derail or just stop.Someday I'll get a coversio kit and turn the dummy into a powered unit.

bluerose lady

hello cpkoltz2002.......
whats a Crown Edition, i have seen that name on the older boxes of williams trains but what does that mean ?
the woman who love toy trains
Tiffany

az2rail

I used to have a Williams SD-45, and I liked it a lot. A good puller and dependable. I changed to 2-rail, so I sold it.

If I am not mistaken, The Crown line was scale. Or at least as close to 1/48th scale as 3-rail trains were back then.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

phillyreading

I have three Williams SD-45 diesel engines, all powered. I bought a Shark B unit and installed a True Blast 2 diesel horn in it, wired it with 1/32 scale model car wire plug-ins to get the center rail power to the B unit and it works great. The SD-45's look better than the GP-9's in my opion.
Also have two GP-9's, powered and one unpowered GP-9 with a TB-2 horn installed in it. The GP-9's seem to pull more freight cars compared to the SD-45's, both are dual motors by Williams(pre-Bachmann).
Another set of diesels that I have are the F-7's, two three unit(A-B-A), they have less pulling power compared to either the GP-9's or the SD-45's. I had to add a power conversion kit to my F-7 diesels to get them to pull what I wanted.
For the money I would buy another GP-9 because it runs great and has good pulling power. Just don't try a jack rabbit start with a Williams GP-9 or it may end up off the layout, it happened to me by mistake.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

A GP will have all weight on 4 wheels.  SD have weight on 6, but only 4 are powered.

But my SD45 will do what the SP wanted of the real thing:  Pull like a mule, run like a deer!