Series Wiring Question or Problem?

Started by stubbsO, September 22, 2010, 06:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stubbsO

Here's the problem. Removing the wires at the board and connecting them together and then test run it on rollers, I noticed that one motor would basically come to a stop, the other would run a little faster. Grabbing the flywheel to stop the running motor, the other would start to run. After letting go of the flywheel, the other would slow to a crawl or stop. This would happen only in 1 direction and not the other. So I figured I would put it back the way it was and try the other 2 wires, same problem and reaction but with the other motor.
Now, with this running on the track and the strenght of the other motor pulling I'm sure it would keep the slower motor running but would the lack of current draw etc. put undue stress on the one motor and soon toast it, or am I overlooking something else? Thanks

Joe Satnik

Dear stubbsO,

The rails synchronize all wheels.  Rollers don't. 

How does it operate on  the track?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

stubbsO

The issue is current draw to the one motor. If one is getting more juice than the other regardless of the pull while on the track would/could/should/might eventually cause problems with the one motor, I would think? They wouldn't be in snych if one works harder than the other, the slower motor would just be tagging along while the other is doing all the work. Also, why does it only do it in one direction and not the other?
Oh and BTW. I have dug out my other 3 locos that are series wired and they don't have this problem while on rollers so I have a very valid question here!

Joe Satnik

Dear stubbsO,

By definition, loads wired in series get the same current. 

The voltage across each motor could vary, and would depend on the load, lubrication, and mechanical and electrical condition of the motor/truck. 

Can you measure the DC voltage across each motor?  They should pretty well match each other. 

I'm guessing there might be something wrong with a slower/stickier motor/truck.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

stubbsO

Quote from: Joe Satnik on September 23, 2010, 01:14:19 PM
By definition, loads wired in series get the same current. 
So tell me, What's the problem here then?

phillyreading

StubbsO,

Are you doing this with a new Williams engine? The rubber traction tire may have something to do with electrical pick-up. Also are ALL your wheels clean? An unclean wheel, even the center roller wheel, can cause electrical drop-out as well.

Not to burst your bubble on wiring in series, but why do you need that slow of a speed? Have you tried using a lower wattage transformer first?
I have eight Williams(pre-Bachmann) diesel engines that have dual motors and never had I attempted to wire the motors in series.

Lee F.