News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine Derailments

Started by jlagow, October 04, 2010, 08:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlagow

I have several Bachman engines that derail crossing turnout switches and crossovers. It appears that the drive truck spring is too weak to reposition the truck after contact with the turnouts or crossovers, I have other engines from different manufacturers that do not have this problem. I have thought about replacing the springs with stronger springs. Is anyone else having this problem and if so what are your recommendations.

Stevelewis

First  recommendation  is  to  check  your  switches & Crossings,  make  sure  they  are perfectly  flat and  not distored when  they  were  laid,  theres a good  article in   MODEL RAILROADER  AUGUST 2010 ISSUE  on the subject  its  worth  a  read.

I work on several layouts  using  Bachmann  & other  manufacturers locos, but  we  dont  seem to  experience  the  problems  you do
STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

OldTimer

Get an NMRA standards gauge and make sure that the wheels on the problem locomotives are in gauge.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.

digitalgriffin

I had problems with the cow-catch on the 4-8-2 Mountain picking the points causing derailment.

My only solution was to grind down the nose

Doneldon

jlagow-

If you have multiple locos derailing on a switch or crossover the place to start looking is the switch.  I have a clear plexiglass "flat car" that I purchased from Micro-Mark which allows me to watch the car track through a switch and I've found it very helpful in finding the exact place where things go awry. 
                                                                                                                                  -- D

rogertra

Yes, it sounds as though your problem with derailments is your track laying skills and or poor quality trackage.

Even the "best" switches need fine tuning as outlined in the  MODEL RAILROADER  AUGUST 2010 ISSUE and mentioned by Stevelewis below.

jonathan

jlagow,

I have been studying your problem, while looking at turnout issues with my own locomotives.  You didn't mention specifically if your locos were diesels or steamers.  With that in mind...

None of my locos have problems with #6 turnouts, from any manufacturer.

Only small diesels (4-wheel trucks) and small steam (2-8-0 or smaller) will negotiate #4 turnouts without issue.  The geometry of a tighter turnout will naturally give problems to larger locos.  Large diesels with 6-wheel trucks don't like #4 turnouts, but with some turnout adjustment, SOME large locos can be made to pass through a tighter turnout. 

I use Atlas custom turnouts, so I can't speak to other brands.  Here are a few things to look for:

1.  Run your fingers over the top of your turnouts.  I have noticed that the frogs sometimes sit a hair higher than the rails.  I filed those down a smidgen. 

2.  Sometimes the guardrails are a bit too close to the stock rail.  A few strokes with a flat file (between the guardrail and stock rail) will correct the clearance and allow the wheels to pass freely through the guardrail configuration.

3.  I have also gently filed my points so they are bit more, um, pointy.

Since you mentioned that crossings were a problem--that leads me to believe your coupler trip pins are catching the crossrails and/or guardrails.  Replacing the EZMate couplers with some Kadees (properly adjusted) might also help.

The pilot on my Mountains do sit really low, but I have not had an issue with them, as mentioned above.

Don't know if that helps you, but if you could mention exactly which locos are having problems, perhaps there is a solution not yet written about.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

jonathan-

That was a succinct and yet thorough clinic on switch tune-ups.

-- D

jonathan

Thanks.  I have 20 turnouts on my layout.  Got lots of tune up practice as a result.

Regards,

Jonathan

surveyorbill

:)I have a as new Bachmann 4 4 0 oldtimer that derails at every switch due to front truck weak springs and it is for sale or trade at 50 cents on the dollar. >:(

jonathan

That loco was designed and sold as a 'starter' type loco (more toy-like).  It was meant to go roundy round and not for switching.  I like mine very much:

I wouldn't consider trying to send it through a turnout.  It just goes round and round, quite well really.

However, if you can find a way to add weight to the front truck (not a stronger spring), I think your turnout problem will improve.  A stronger spring will only enlarge the problem.  That will raise up the drivers.  I would also check the wheel gage.  It's easy to bump those little wheels into being too wide or too narrow.

These locos can be had at train shows for 50 cents on the dollar.

If you want a 4-4-0 that can handle switching, get the Spectrum Modern Version.   Of course it will cost 4X as much....

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Picture I took over five years ago when I ran these 4-4-0's using a five throttle MRC 2000 DCC controller. One throttle would control a non decoder equipped Winans Camel 0-8-0.
Each loco has a N scale Lenz decoder. I used them at our club to introduce the advantages of DCC over DC.
My home layout consist of hand laid stub turnouts and the wheels track just fine. I had to fine tune everything but that is just part of the hobby.

Rich

BradKT

Jonathan:   You stated that sometime the frog is slightly higher an it is it supposed to be and you used a straight file to file it down.  Can you elaborate a bit more on this?  Are you talking about the top of the frog itself or what?  Any pics or diagrams than demonstrate what you are talking about would be very helpful as well.

What size file are you talking about  and how much to do file it down?

I have been very hesitant about filing the plastic frog, but I know that this is an issue on some of my turnouts.  I want to know exactly how to file down that frog because a wheel is raising as a car crosses over it.

jonathan

Brad,

Here's a couple of pics as visual aids:

Here's a frog that was just a hair too high:

Up close for a few shots; you can see the size of file I used, the change in color of the frog from filing and my technique for filing:

I use the same file to smooth out the guard rails when necessary:

Mister Conductor approves:

There are other turnouts that required more radical filing, but I was trying to respond expeditiously.  Hope that helps...

Regards,

Jonathan

BradKT

Thank you Jonathan.  This is VERY helpful.