New O-27 Hudson running hot

Started by lennyski, April 08, 2009, 08:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DominicMazoch

I have W/WBB Sd45 and 90's.  I run TMCC conv.  TMCC in Conv. does have a chopped sine.  but in Conv. and using a Cab -1 and Poweremaster, you can set things like stall  custom for each engine.  Problem is, you have to reset it for each engine change.  But you can custom power you conv. items, open frame of can.

lennyski

It has been a while since I brought up this topic. I never got a chance to take this back to Bachmann and it is packed away until Black Friday. I will run it then and see how it goes. I am using the MRC Dual Pure Power with Sine Wave so I am 99% sure that is not the problem. I couldn't resist going ahead and buying the Berk though. I was going to wait to make sure this wasn't a problem with the WBB steamers in general but I was at the hobby store and saw the LV version. I did run this for over an hour before I packed everything away and no issues. I will check back after I run the Hudson and let you know if I am still having issues. I am just hoping that is was a lubrication and break in issue.

the nitro man

i ran my pink steamer tonight & i tried using a mth z-750. it would run good on higher voltages, but the low speed wasn't there. i put my lionel zw 275 back on for power & it ran a lot better at low speeds. i'm not sure why? with the mth z 750 on a slower speed, it would go around a few times then after each time around it would get slower & slower until it would stop, & not always in the same place. with the zw 275, just getting the power on about 6 (soon enought to light the bulb) it would  pull & never slow down. i like the horn botton a lot better on my mth z 750, but that's about it. the zw has a sweet spot that i have to find to get the whistle to work.

phillyreading

I using the post war Lionel 275 watt ZW & a 250 watt Z transformer and two MTH Z-1000 transformers with my Williams engines and have not had a problem with any engine slowing down or heating up.

I would suggest using a transformer with 100 watts or more to the track. In my opion stay away from MRC transformers when using Williams engines.

Don't know for sure but have heard that the newer Lionel ZW transformers(not the brand new ZW with meters) can fall apart while using them, the handle comes out of the transformer is the number one complaint I have read about on CTT forum. Second complaint I have read about is that the power can jump from output A over to output D without warning and send one of your trains off the layout at higher speeds when it suddenly gets a burst of high power to it.

Lee F.

bluerose lady

hello phillyreading.....

to stay away from MRC transformers? I am using the pure sine wave AC 130 watt MRC transformer and i dont have any problems of the wiliams engines (motors overheating any time) and i run them about 40 mins to hour at a time. the engines are a williams berkshire and sd-45 they both just barely get lukewarm.  I had this transformer for about 6 years now.  no problems with the MRC transformer either.  BUT strongly agree with you that anyone running the williams engine should use least 100 watts or VA's or more.
the woman who loves toy trains
Tiffany

phillyreading

Tiffany,

Not everyone who uses an MRC transformer may have problems, but I have read of a few complaints on CTT forum about not working correctly with Williams TB-2 and also not working correctly with MTH PS-2 engines. Hopefully your MRC don't give you problems.
It is like dealing with cars, some people love Fords and have a decent car for years and some people get a lemon and hate Fords and sell off the Ford product.

A 100 watt transformer is not always needed, but will help with the newer engines with power draw and whistle/horn units. I ran one of my older GP-9's on a 45 watt transformer, didn't go 100% fast but was a decent speed.

Lee F.

lennyski

I am using the MRC Pure Power with pure sine wave and 270 Watts. I think you should be okay as long as you are using the sine wave and the 270 Watts should be plenty for running 2 sets of trains. Do you know of anyone having issues with these types of MRC transformers?
Also I picked up a set of UP grey Alcos. These Williams engines are getting addictive. You can't beat the price for the quality you get if you are running conventional.
Can't wait for Thanksgiving so I can set up the Christmas layout.

bluerose lady

Hello Lennyski..........
I am using the MRC 130 VA's or Watts transformer model # AH501 and had it for 6 years so far no problems running the williams engines ( I have  berkshire and sd-45) this transformer is a single trottle type and puts out "pure sine wave" AC. the berkshire pulls a 4 car 60 foot madison cars and a boxcar (both are williams).   My williams engine's can motors never got pass lukewarm after running for 40 mins to a hour on my TINY 4 by 8 layout.   Just wanted everyone to know....... SMILE
the woman who loves toy trains
Tiffany