whats your favorite william's locomotive

Started by bluerose lady, October 04, 2010, 11:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerose lady

Hello Guys, Gals.............

Whats your favorite Williams locomotive ? Mine is a williams 2-8-4 berkshire for steamer and williams sd-45 for diesel.  what yours ? anyone or opinions ?

the woman who loves toy trains
Tiffany

the nitro man

i like their berks myself, although i don't have one (yet). i also like the gp9's. i have a lionel sd24 chassis with a williams norfolk southern gp9 shell on it. it looks awesome. I've got a lot of comments on it. i wish williams would do a blue comet set, & a sd9, sd24, or a hi hood sd40-2. the only one of the three i would think they might do would be the sd24. they could use the gp shell & all they would have to come up with would be the chassis.

bluerose lady

hello nitro man......

that would be cool, i think williams did a blue comet berkshire sometime ago.  I have let it pass so many times that i regret it since. so i settled for santa fe berkshire instead.  I think williams bachmann makes a scale blue comet hudson.
Tiffany

DominicMazoch

UP Katy Heritage SD90

But the G ain't bad!

phillyreading

My favorite engine by Williams is the GP-9. I bought a Reading Lines GP-9 for $125.00 about seven years ago, has True Blast 2 diesel horn in it.
A much better engine then the Lionel I sold on ebay, the GP-9 was the replacement engine for a Lionel GP-7.

Lee F.

bluerose lady

Hello phillyreading........

oh boy you beaten me by 38 dollars ,rats !!!!!!!!!!!! I paid 163 tax included for my sd-45 last month LOL
Tiffany

phillyreading

Tiffany,

Remember that I bought that engine about 7 years ago!
Plus I knew the guy selling Williams trains in my local area, so I got some great deals on stuff he wanted to sell.
A Williams F-7(A-B-A, one powered A unit and QSI sounds in the B unit) Santa Fe el Capitan set of 6 passenger cars with operating knuckle couplers, $400.00.
Also bought a Pennsy S-2 steam engine & tender for $200.00 with True Blast 2 horn unit.

Most of my Williams engines run good and are quiet unlike Lionel or K-Line engines I had in the past. I had a Lionel GP-7 that only pulled four hopper cars, sold it. Also had a K-Line MP-15 diesel that the motors and gears were noisy when it ran, now sold as well.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

I like the sound W/WBB make:  the sound of the train wheels on the rails.  Real trains make those sounds too!

phillyreading

I like the SD-45 and F-7 Alco's but they don't pull as much as my GP-9's.
My Pennsy S-2 steamer does really good if I can find enuff straight track to run it on, after 28 freight cars the train(not the engine) derails on curves.
My layout is 11 feet by 8 feet on the lower level, the upper level is 9 feet by 6 feet. I run the S-2 on the lower level so I can get it going a bit fast.

Lee F.

bluerose lady

Hello Phillyreading.....
How come the sd-45's does not pull as well as the gp-9 ?  does the sd-45 weight more and its longer ?  how much does the sd-45 weigh as both engines have 8 wheel drive and 4 traction tires. does anyone would know ?
Tiffany

GTBob

Currently I have a WbW FP-45 and a WbB GP-38, w/ a GP-9 on order and due next week.  My nod goes to the "38" so far (seems to have a bit more pulling power).  That may change once the GP-9 arrives and starts moving around the tracks.

Regards,

GTB
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.

DominicMazoch

The GP has 4 wheels per truck powered, on track.  SD, EF-4, U-boats, FM's, and Dash 9's have 6 wheel trucks, but only 4 are powered.  But most of the weight are on the powered 4.  But my SD does outpull anything else I have!

phillyreading

Quote from: bluerose lady on October 08, 2010, 09:58:22 PM
Hello Phillyreading.....
How come the sd-45's does not pull as well as the gp-9 ?  does the sd-45 weight more and its longer ?  how much does the sd-45 weigh as both engines have 8 wheel drive and 4 traction tires. does anyone would know ?
Tiffany

Tiffany,

It is probally due to the fact of having two extra sets of axles that are unpowered and the SD-45 frame is longer, thereby making it heavier to move with the same motor set-up as a GP-9.

Lee F.

bluerose lady

Hello Phillyreading.........
thats interesting, i haven't thought of it that way. well i guess it doesnt matter anyway as my 4 by 8 layout is limited to about 8 cars, including the caboose.
Tiffany

kevin22

Hello All,
I would have to say that my favorite, although i don't have one as of yet would be the Southern Pacific GS4
Daylight. In my opinion this is the best representation of a Northern type steam engine that has ever been built. It's color scheme, sleek look, and just all out right beauty makes this my number one pick!!