News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Quiling Whistle

Started by WTierce1, October 07, 2010, 06:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTierce1

I think that there should be a better quiling option on sound equip locos like a knob on the remote or someting like that so you can control the volume of the whistle. You could make more realistic train sounds with steam locos like a real locomotive. Even with diesel locos you could make more realistic sounds. I thought it was a good idea so I wanted to see what other people thought.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Jim Banner

I assume we are talking about quilling (two l's) and not quiling (one l.)  A quiling whistle would be one made out of paper by the paper based art process of quiling.  Or maybe it would be the noise made by a Cormorant as it chokes on a fish when used for quiling.

I agree that quilling whistles would be an asset in a model steam locomotives.  Have you tried the Digitrax version?  The function 2 buttons on their DT400 series of throttles are pressure sensitive to allow control of the whistle function in appropriate sound decoders.  I don't know if this is a true quilling function, i.e. affecting both the pitch and the loudness of the whistle or whether it just affects the loudness.  One of my projects for this coming winter is to find out.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

WTierce1

Yes, I mean Quilling. And no I haven't I was saving for the 3 truck climax but after a guy at hobby town in Marietta let me use the Zephyr controller I decided that I would like to have that right now. Other than that I haven't really use a Digitrax controller. I'm really more interested in steam locomotives but he didn't have any steam locomotives that he could use behind the counter so I didn't get to run one although he did have a sound equip diesel and liked the horn but I would like to have more of a whistle volume and pitch.   
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Doneldon

wt-

DCC systems other than the most rudimentary allow you to set the volume of your whistles and bells.  However, your setting will apply every time you use your whistle, i.e., you won't be able to change whistle loudness from one toot to another (unless you reprogram the sound between toots which obviously isn't going to happen) or within a given toot.  So...a little good news and some not as good.  Sorry.
                                                                                                                                                                                              -- D